"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 07-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #11
Master Chef

The trick is to be gentle with them, don't dip the tea bags. The best way is to steep it the British way then pour thru a sieve to separate the tea leaves back out. A secondary method I use is to 'brew' it with 4 cups water in my coffee maker (I place a filter in it and dump out the tea bags). Then mix with 4 cups warm water and serve. People can add their own lemon, sugar, etc.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #12
Master Chef

Cool, thanks. I will try them. I have my tea maker. I already brewed some white tea with mango andpeach. I will do the others after.

Old 07-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl View Post
What does it taste like? I have a variety pack that I got, has english breakfast, earl grey, lady grey and irish breakfast. Anyone tried these. What do they tast like? Is it really black?
Only ones I don't like are the Earl Grey and Lady Grey.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #14
Executive Chef

White tea is picked very young and brews to a golden color, green tea is young tea that is steamed and rolled (and if bagged then crushed) the flavor is sweet smoky and the color a yellow-green when brewed. Black tea is naturally fermented older leaves, and brews to the deep orange/black color. Different blends have different flavors. For example, Earl Grey is flavored with Bergamot, a small bitter citrus fruit, the dried rind is used. English Breakfast will reveal its floral nature with a bit of milk, Jasmin is black tea flavored with Jasmine flowers, etc.

Teas are quite wonderful and getting to know them is part of the enjoyment.

To properly brew tea, warm the pot, 1 teaspoon loose for each cup to be made, water rapidly boiling. If using a tea bag, much the same directions. steep 3-5 min for a nice cuppa, 1-2 min for a delicate cuppa.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:19 AM   #15
Master Chef

Wow, thanks everyone. I am going to try some today!!
Old 07-13-2008, 11:30 AM   #16
Executive Chef

My mom grew up in Britain so we grew up taking our tea with milk and sometimes sugar.

Tea is simple but there are so many different ways to fix it up. I don't like black tea that is just straight up but I know of some who only drink it that way. GB likes lemon or lime. My sister likes soy milk and honey. Sometimes I like a splash of half n half, it gives it some nice creaminess.

You'll need to mess with it until you find a combination that you like.
Hope you enjoy your teas!
Earl and Lady Gray are my favorites but I do like the bergamot flavor.