"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 02-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #11
Head Chef

I use bleached for two reasons, neither of them very compelling. One is that white bleached filters are more readily accessible. The other is that there is general agreement that unbleached paper can impart undesired flavors.

Now I said neither was compelling. Most coffee filter paper today is no longer chlorine bleached. It is oxygen "cleansed." Melita has been doing that since 1992. So does Bunn, so it's not hard to find chlorine free papers.

All this gets a little murky, because Elemental Chlorine Free (ECF) methods use chlorine dioxide gas. Elemental chlorine bleaching is the really bad environmental process. ECF is less bad but still produces some dioxins, but there's little or not environmental difference between ECF and Totally Chlorine Free (TCF). Again, Melita has used TCF bleached paper since 1992. And it's worth noting that just being brown doesn't make a filter necessarily made with TCF pulp. Pulp can go through a lot of processing. This is also an issue in teabags. (And tampons, etc.)

Now I had not been aware before of Melita's claim that paper filters remove the cholesterol raising factors in coffee, while permanent metal filters allow it through. But that's another story.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #12
Master Chef

Site Administrator

When I use filters I used the bleached ones mostly because I have some, and the disc filters are hard to find to start with, much less in unbleached.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
When I use filters I used the bleached ones mostly because I have some, and the disc filters are hard to find to start with, much less in unbleached.
disc filters?
Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I have one of those reusable "gold" coffee filters. I use it to filter the used canola oil from my deep fryer if I am going to use the oil again. I have a Senseo coffeemaker and a Krups Home Cafe to make coffee, they both use pods, and AFAIK, they only come in white. I would never use the gold filter for coffee because sooner or later you'll be having coffee with the rotorooter man, and I don't swing that way.

That said, if I had to make a choice between the brown or white filters, I would choose whichever is biodegradable, and if both are, then I'd choose the cheapest available.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I use the cheapest filters I can find.

I agree on the coffee!

I enjoy good coffee but, if I drink it all the time then the WOW factor is lost. I only buy good coffee for holidays and special occasions. I usually mix the end of one can with the beginning of the next can to help with the transition from one brand to another. This is known as the house blend!
If your coffee comes in a can, it is NOT good coffee. Really good coffee is made with pure Aribaca beans and comes in a resealable foil bag with a breather valve on the front. But I do agree with buying the cheapest filters you can find. The only purpose of the filter is to keep the grounds out of the pot. It providses nothing, positive or negative, to the finished product!
Old 02-09-2012, 12:07 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
A steaming hot cup of coffee does more for me than provide a jolt of caffeine. I don't leave the house until after the second cup has had a chance to work its magic.

...if you know what I mean.
Go to the Vitamin or supplement store and get yourself a bottle of psylium capsules (Metamucil). Take 4 with your juice. You'll never have to rely on the coffee again! An added benefit is it also absorbs and removes cholerterol.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:08 PM   #17
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
disc filters?
Flat discs that go in the bottom of the percolator basket.

I don't make coffee that way often (only for my parents at the house or when I am on the boat) so I don't go through them quickly.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:15 PM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
This is also an issue in teabags. (And tampons, etc.)
I would never use a tea bag, or any kind of paper tea filter. Tea's flavour is very delicate and YOU CAN TASTE THE PAPER! A stainless steel tea ball or a stainless steel infuser built into the pot is best.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:32 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
...I would never use the gold filter for coffee because sooner or later you'll be having coffee with the rotorooter man, and I don't swing that way...
Please explain.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:42 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have one of those fine mesh filters. It's great to have it as backup, in case I run out of unbleached, paper filters. I get tired of fine coffee crumbs at the bottom of the pot. If it weren't for that, I would use it all the time.
Yeah, I guess that's why I quit using the mesh, because I grind my coffee finely and didn't like the sediment at the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
You said you inherited a bunch of bleached cfs, right, Greg? They can be used for a lot of other things too. I line a colandar and drain yogurt for cheese, for example. There're web pages listing a lot of other uses somewhere that I read recently. They can replace paper towels for draining meat, hold servings of popcorn or other snacks, etc.
My mother moved to assisted care and gave me her bleached filters. They're otherwise same as the ones I use all the time. There's no point in using them for anything else since I can't taste any difference.

The funny thing is that my generic filters (Krogers) cost the same price regardless of bleached or natural. I'll just use up the bleached filters and then go back to my natural ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
On principle, I prefer things unbleached and minimally processed, but I buy whatever is available at the moment.
I'll continue buying unbleached, perhaps on that principle, or perhaps I just prefer the color. As I said there's no cost difference in my local stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
I use bleached for two reasons, neither of them very compelling. One is that white bleached filters are more readily accessible. The other is that there is general agreement that unbleached paper can impart undesired flavors.
You're the first that's brought up any "general agreement that unbleached paper can impart undesired flavors." I haven't tasted any difference, nor as far as I can see has anybody else posting in this topic.

Accessibility? Not sure what you mean. I always see both colors on the shelves here in L.A. supermarkets.

Tags
coffee