"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #51
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm thinking about the thread "do you read every post"? I did, and some are hysterical. I could care less if my coffee filters are bleached or unbleached.
Thanks. It makes me feel good that my topic had no worth. I had just wondered if there was any reason to prefer either. I had suspected that there was no difference. I guess now I know, and I also know that composting coffee grounds is more important than which filters you use.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:55 PM   #52
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
I made a bin last weekend. (The chickens have been kicking stuff out of the open cage bin.) This one begins as one of those blue plastic 55 gallon drums. That material cuts easily with small saws. I cut a door out of the side and hinged it with a piano hinge pop riveted on. Then I drilled holes all over the sides and ends. Installed four small bolt on eyebolts in a line, two in the door and one either side. A wire with a bent end as a stopper keeps it closed. Easy to roll back and forth periodically. I'll make another, so I can let one get near full and finish while starting to fill another. Less than $30 for all components.
I have a full sized composter in my backyard. I live in Quebec. I have feet of snow in my backyard. I don't need another outdoor composter in my tiny yard. I either find a cheap, easy way to compost indoors in winter or it will continue to go in the garbage until the snow melts.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:57 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg

Thanks. It makes me feel good that my topic had no worth. I had just wondered if there was any reason to prefer either. I had suspected that there was no difference. I guess now I know, and I also know that composting coffee grounds is more important than which filters you use.
I think the upshot was, use either bleached or unbleached, it doesn't matter, Greg. This made for really good discussion, and we thank you for bringing it up! We have been known to veer off topic at times....
Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #54
Executive Chef

Yeah DL and I know what you mean. Thanks for confirming what I had suspected all along, that probably appearances are far more important than performance when it comes to coffee filters. Various replies in this topic seem to indicate that either (1) the replies agreed with me that bleached vs. natural had no taste influence at all, (2) that maybe natural filters might "save the environment" but too much vagueness to tell for sure, or that (3) throwing your coffee grounds down the drain will either save or ruin your drains, and a belated (4) composting your coffee grounds will probably have an end result of making me want to quit drinking coffee. (Is there an emoticon for sad grin?)

But at least I know the answer for my initial question. No, Greg, there is no practical difference between bleached and natural coffee filters. It's all in your mind, it's all in a product concept. There is no practical difference 'twixt the two.

It's interesting that such an innocuous question could get 6 pages of replies.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #55
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
It's interesting that such an innocuous question could get 6 pages of replies.
Tis all a matter of perspective.. barely two full pages for me...

In this day and age so many people will break their own necks to jump on the "natural" bandwagon, when sometimes it matters not. A good discussion and some thinking helps, even on such a insignificant seeming topic like coffee filters.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:04 PM   #56
Executive Chef

Forum default setting.

You and I are in agreement about the "jump on natural" movement. That is why I posted my question in the OP. I'm not interested in jumping on any bandwagon unless there's solid reasons. I haven't seen any yet in this topic, or at least any that seem to justify merit.

As far as I'm concerned the difference between bleached and natural is purely cosmetic, unless solid reasons to the contrary can be stated.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #57
Sous Chef

Snob, here. I have used unbleached or oxygen-bleached four cup (Mrs. Tea) filters in my eight cup Revere Drip-O-Lator for years, but both have been difficult to find in that size lately, so I dug out my old Chemex pot and bought three boxes of unbleached filters. Perfect coffee, consistently.
Old 05-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #58
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLC View Post
I do it, except on alternate Tuesdays when the moon is full and the wind is out of the east, UNLESS a dove has pooped on my car during the night. In that case, on the way to the compost bin, I fling it at the dove.
This is the winner folks!
Old 05-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

So does this mean that those who use unbleached filters to save the environment and the earth are like those 'organic' snobby folks? I guess I am in big trouble. I use house brand and whatever is the cheapest. And the only food I buy that is orgnaic is fresh carrots. For some strange reason, they taste more like a carrot should. Or as I remember it from my childhood. And I don't grind my coffee. I buy Folgers or the house brand if on sale. I am doomed.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So does this mean that those who use unbleached filters to save the environment and the earth are like those 'organic' snobby folks? I guess I am in big trouble. I use house brand and whatever is the cheapest. And the only food I buy that is orgnaic is fresh carrots. For some strange reason, they taste more like a carrot should. Or as I remember it from my childhood. And I don't grind my coffee. I buy Folgers or the house brand if on sale. I am doomed.
You're not alone. Did you know that if you run out of filters, a paper towel works just fine.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coffee