"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Coffee filters: natural or bleached?

I'm totally mystified. I've always purchased the natural (buff colored, unbleached) filters because they are of course ... natural! Why add extra processing? And where is all that bleach going out to pollute our rivers and groundwater?

But really? I've inherited a batch of bleached filters and I can't tell the difference between coffee made in one or the other. And does bleaching change anything? I'm not even sure if white isn't the natural color and the "natural" coffee filters may be artificially colored.

I guess I'll keep buying the buff colored filters if there's no good reason to prefer one over the other...

So anybody/everybody, please tell me whether you prefer bleached or unbleached coffee filters, and why?

Old 02-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

We use a coffee maker with a fine metal mesh filter. No bleach/artificial coloring, no paper in the landfill. Just rinse it out and you're set.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Actually that's a different question. I've used reusable filters (metal or other mesh) at times (not recently) and I recall both positive and negative results, but too many years ago for me to remember why.

But I still wonder, bleached or unbleached? (I'll consider mesh when I've run out of my current stock, probably sometime early summer. (I usually buy big packages.)
Old 02-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I have one of those fine mesh filters. It's great to have it as backup, in case I run out of unbleached, paper filters. I get tired of fine coffee crumbs at the bottom of the pot. If it weren't for that, I would use it all the time.

I always buy the unbleached filters, since they became available. That colour is the colour of unbleached paper. Bleaching costs money. Cheap paper products are that colour, e.g., brown paper bags and paper hand towels in public washrooms.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
...I get tired of fine coffee crumbs at the bottom of the pot. If it weren't for that, I would use it all the time...

Yeah, I just leave a little extra coffee in the pot.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:44 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

You said you inherited a bunch of bleached cfs, right, Greg? They can be used for a lot of other things too. I line a colandar and drain yogurt for cheese, for example. There're web pages listing a lot of other uses somewhere that I read recently. They can replace paper towels for draining meat, hold servings of popcorn or other snacks, etc.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:56 PM   #7
Sous Chef

I'm a real coffee snob. I only buy whole beans. Only certain brands and at certain places. They can only be freshly ground moments before brewing, not the night before. If I could, I would roast them at home before grinding.

But I have tried both bleached & unbleached filters and I must reluctantly admit that I can't taste a difference.

On principle, I prefer things unbleached and minimally processed, but I buy whatever is available at the moment.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:25 AM   #8
Half Baked

I buy unbleached and buy whatever coffee is sale for the most part. I like folgers colombian,Medallia doro,Maxwell house,Dunkin donuts etc. I like mixing it up a bit, and I am not a coffee snob at all. I think it makes me appreciate a really good cup of coffee that much more when i have one.

I do like the one cup drip set-up for a cup of joe for flavor, but I have been drinking too much to that.

Anyone see Aeroshot? it is an inhaler that equals 1 cup of joe's caffeine per puff.
When you need that extra punch!

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:36 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I buy unbleached and buy whatever coffee is sale for the most part. I like folgers colombian,Medallia doro,Maxwell house,Dunkin donuts etc. I like mixing it up a bit, and I am not a coffee snob at all. I think it makes me appreciate a really good cup of coffee that much more when i have one.

I do like the one cup drip set-up for a cup of joe for flavor, but I have been drinking too much to that.

Anyone see Aeroshot? it is an inhaler that equals 1 cup of joe's caffeine per puff.
I use the cheapest filters I can find.

I agree on the coffee!

I enjoy good coffee but, if I drink it all the time then the WOW factor is lost. I only buy good coffee for holidays and special occasions. I usually mix the end of one can with the beginning of the next can to help with the transition from one brand to another. This is known as the house blend!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #10
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
...Anyone see Aeroshot? it is an inhaler that equals 1 cup of joe's caffeine per puff.
A steaming hot cup of coffee does more for me than provide a jolt of caffeine. I don't leave the house until after the second cup has had a chance to work its magic.

...if you know what I mean.

Tags
coffee