"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 08-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
I was hoping to see a few home roasters in the thread.

This morning was a single origin El Salvadorian Molino de Santa Rita roasted to a City + level. Served hot with a shot of cream.

I've had luck roasting them in a frying pan. Like them done to the point where they're a little greasy.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #22
Master Chef

I don't. I know I'm abnormal, but I have never been able to acquire a taste for it, and believe me, I've tried! When I lived down on the bayou, it was considered anti-social to turn down a cup of coffee. And it was your kind of coffee, Bob.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:23 AM   #23
Executive Chef

i drink my coffee black these days. i used to put cream and sugar in it until one time ran out of cream. from that day on, i took my coffee black, heavy with sugar. then there was the day there was no sugar in the house....now i'm good, i take my coffee strong and black--so long as the day never comes that i run out of coffee....
Old 08-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
i drink my coffee black these days. i used to put cream and sugar in it until one time ran out of cream. from that day on, i took my coffee black, heavy with sugar. then there was the day there was no sugar in the house....now i'm good, i take my coffee strong and black--so long as the day never comes that i run out of coffee....

I'm with you on that! I keep an extra unopened jar on hand. The day I open the jar, coffee goes back on the grocery list, and I'll buy 2 more.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 10:15 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I'm with you on that! I keep an extra unopened jar on hand. The day I open the jar, coffee goes back on the grocery list, and I'll buy 2 more.

yes, i make sure there is always backup coffee in the house. i drink coffee from morning til night, like an addict....sleep like a baby.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Guess I'm not much of a coffee aficionado, because since I quit working at the hospital years ago I only drink coffee once a week. The coffee at the hospital could be called "utility" coffee. The kind in the pot that's brewed until you could stand a spoon up in it and has also been sitting on the warmer forever. Real yummy stuff but it kept us "fired" and working.

Now, we drink a pot of Folger's, I think, one weekend day morning. Actually, we each drink a cup and the rest is refrigerated to be warmed the next day. Glenn takes his black and I like mine souped up with the works. And, please, only real sugar and real milk/cream. None of that artificial stuff.

When I said Folger's "I think," that's because we drink so little so rarely I don't recall what's on the shelf at the moment and it's not that important for me to get up and look.

I just never really developed a taste for coffee, but I do enjoy it from time to time and wouldn't decline it if a host or hostess offered it at dinner.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:51 AM   #27
Half Baked

Black and strong in the morning

Iced with a little creamer in the afternoon

room temp with a scoop of whey protein before working out

With Bailey's or Kahluha sometimes after a good meal.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:40 AM   #28
Executive Chef

I have a Krups KP1010 Home Cafe single serve coffeemaker, which can actually brew one or two 6oz, 7.5oz, or 9oz cups at a time, from coffee pods. Right now I have a selection of Kona, Kenya, Moka Java and Costs Rican pods, or I can make my own pods with the Peerless Hawaiian blend or San Francisco Bay Fogchaser coffee beans I grind myself using purchased filter papers and my Perfect Pod Maker. I drink my 9oz coffee in a porcelain mug with a teaspoon of agave nectar and a shot of half & half. I usually consume two to three cups every morning, but very seldom drink coffee after lunch.

I also have a Keurig single serve coffee machine, but it is in retirement right now due to the excessive cost of K-cups and Keurig's penchant towards restraint of trade when it comes to products that work with their machines that are produced by other companies.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #29
Wine Guy

My wife and I are Italian coffee lovers, so we bought a Gaggia Syncrony several years ago. Even refurbished, it was expensive, but has probably paid for itself several times over, since we no longer have to visit one of the coffee chains to get our daily espresso/cappuccino fix. It's the only way to take the "bucks" out of Starbucks.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:59 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Tags
drink, coffee