Coffee ... How Do You Drink It?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re:

It's probably germane to my geographic area.

As I learned the word in this use, "to cup" it means to develop a manner of roasting and brewing a consistent flavor of coffee. Much like creating a recipe that will proof the same for everyone when they try it the first time.

In my years of experience I started experimenting early and keeping notes as I went
and recording my reactions to the finished product. Attention to the materials and
processes I followed were also recorded. I'm kind of particular with certain things I prepare and not so discerning on some of the other things.

I don't know if anyone else here shares this quirk or not.

I just recently started drinking coffee, with agave nectar and a little moo of half & half, out of a mug since I retired. Prior to that, I took it intravenously.

Hey Dee, in all my years, I've never heard or seen the expression you've used.

What exactly is cupping? To cup...have cupped....

Does it mean "brew" maybe?

With coffee "cupping" is a method of formally scoring a particular coffee or blend of coffee on a scale. A vocabulary very similar to that used with fine wines is often used to describe the coffee. Aroma, taste, body, and acidity are typical "factors" used in the process. Multiple scoring systems exist and seem to vary in complexity.

For the vast majority of coffee drinkers, this process is performed by "Master Tasters" that work in the coffee industry to make sure a brand of coffee is consistent from batch to batch.

Having some knowledge of this process is important to those that roast their own coffee at home. I use it as a way to judge the quality of the green beans, roasting method, and as a way to validate a particular roast level of a batch. This helps me decided if I want to buy a particular bean in quantity.

Last edited:
I drink a half pot of Maxwell House original drip in the morning before I leave for work, 1 tsp of sugar and a splash of whole milk per mug full. Then I usually have a cup of mud at the supply house while I'm waiting for materials, just a shake of sugar and a shake of that fabulous non-dairy powdered creamer! If I'm able to get away from the job site for a few minutes, I'll go across the street to Duncan Doughnuts and grab a medium cup of coffee around mid day.

Thanks 40cal. For almost every substance, there are professionals who have superior knowledge of it.

I just enjoy the outcome of all that knowledge! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the explanation.

I wish I was that close with a coffee roaster...:pig:

I order from Gevalia and I drink it black. I still love the occasional latte which I use Starbucks espresso for those. I'm a coffee fanatic! Coffee makes me happy :)

Espresso

Buonasera,

I have my Espresso every morning ... and a Capuccino after lunch on ice or hot, depending on weather of course.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Good question.

Margaux Cintrano. :)

A generous cup of Lavazza Qualità Oro prepared with my moka.

40791-albums374-picture2909.jpg
40791-albums373-picture2908.jpg

Caffe corretto Sambuca can make a nice desert

Buonasera, Bill e Luca,

My olfactory tells me, it smells great.

I use same at home with same " perkalator " for one or two cups of esperesso.

Have nice evening.
Margaux.

Last edited:
I never cared for coffee until the last year or so. I love the coffee flavor, but I am still not at the point where I could drink it black (and probably never will be). I guess the best way to describe how I like mine would be to say how my dad would have put it to me: "Would you like a little coffee with your creamer?" :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL: I do pour more coffee than creamer, but I do like sweet flavored creamers in my coffee. For that reason I don't drink a lot of coffee. Mainly just Friday nights at our friends' house when we go over for dinner and a movie. :cool:

First thing in the morning I have a double espresso allongé (elongated). I have it with cream, no sugar.

Right now I'm having ice café au lait: A large, bowl shaped cup; a double shot of espresso; four or five ice cubes; fill with cold homogenized milk. Yum.

Too many roasts to name. 10 ounce cup with a spoon of sugar and 1/2 ounce of half and half.

Back
Top Bottom