"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 07-06-2016, 08:16 PM   #31
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post
Larry, It sounds to me you have more of a service pet peeve then a coffee pet peeve.

The server is only doing what they are instructed to do.
That is making sure the customer has all the coffee they want at no additional cost.
If you had added something like sugar or lemon to your water would you feel the same if they wanted to top off your water?
As many have pointed out. All you need to do is express your feelings to the server that your cup/glass is full enough and problem solved.
To me , personally, I don't care as I never drink coffee. But it seems to be a very personal experience and precise and individual liking as to the balance of sugar/ creamer to the cup. Unless the cup is completely empty, any additional amount is going to mess up the desired balance of the individual's liking.

If it is the individual server taking it upon themselves to fill up a cup cause its not full, then common sense should kick in to ask first. If it s the restaurant directing their staff to do this, then they should also train them to ask first.

Sure, I think the intentions are good, but its not a simple glass of water.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:18 PM   #32
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
BTW, how does your wife reacts to it?
My wife didn't see it coming, so she was unable to stop the waitress from filling up the cup.

To her, it wasn't a big deal, she just would prefer that the cup was empty first.

Old 07-06-2016, 08:23 PM   #33
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
My wife didn't see it coming, so she was unable to stop the waitress from filling up the cup.

To her, it wasn't a big deal, she just would prefer that the cup was empty first.

Of course she didn't see it coming. She was too busy eating all that French toast!
Old 07-06-2016, 08:28 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Of course she didn't see it coming. She was too busy eating all that French toast!
very true, and same restaurant.

maybe the felt she needed more coffee to wash down the french toast to keep up her pace
Old 07-06-2016, 09:00 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
Sure, I think the intentions are good, but its not a simple glass of water.
Yes it's as simple as a glass of water.

Like the war on drugs "just say no".

A sneak attack is another story but then again it's a service problem and not a java problem.

Asking first is a given in polite society and I can't envision how a server could attack my plate/cup without my consent?

But I don't eat out often so I know nothing about service these days.
Old 07-07-2016, 11:07 AM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Well, I LOVE coffee myself. Many years ago I always drank it black, but in the last couple of years have come to enjoy it with a splash of full fat cream and, very occasionally, just a little sugar free sweetener. Something about real cream just takes coffee to a whole different level.

Strangely enough, you get weird looks in restaurants and coffee shops when you ask for real cream. They either try to give you milk, half and half, or non-dairy creamer. Years ago, cream was the norm. Now it's a rarity.
I drink mine black, too ( “Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love.”) but I do like double cream (=heavy cream, I think) poured over a spoon so it floats on the top of the coffee and you drink the coffee through it. Yum! Even better if a slug of Tia Maria liqueur is stirred into the black coffee before the cream is floated on top.

I didn't like coffee until I grew up and I discovered that you could drink it without milk!

NEVER instant coffee, though
Old 07-07-2016, 11:19 AM   #37
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zagut View Post

The server is only doing what they are instructed to do.
That is making sure the customer has all the coffee they want at no additional cost.
"The server is only doing what they are instructed to do."
No, Zagut, I can't agree with you. Irrespective of whether coffee is free or not the waiter should ask the customer if s/he would like more coffee rather than foisting it on him/her regardless.

It's a matter of good manners. I waited tables, among other things, when I was a student and would never have dreamed of doing anything so rude and pushy.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:38 PM   #38
Master Chef

Off topic, but still coffee talk.
I ran out of paper filters at work so I've been making cowboy coffee, directly in my insulated mug. The grounds will all sink to the bottom of the mug after a couple of minutes. Same great taste, easy clean up.
Old 07-08-2016, 06:59 PM   #39
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
"The server is only doing what they are instructed to do."
No, Zagut, I can't agree with you. Irrespective of whether coffee is free or not the waiter should ask the customer if s/he would like more coffee rather than foisting it on him/her regardless.

It's a matter of good manners. I waited tables, among other things, when I was a student and would never have dreamed of doing anything so rude and pushy.

Mad Cook I agree that it's a matter of manners and that asking is the correct approach.

But way, way back in the stone age when I was employed at a greasy spoon I was actually instructed to fill the cup and use it as a way to get the customer talking.

A hand over the cup or a no thanks stopped me and I was never one for a sneak attack on there java cup.

But it did open a dialog and what the customer desired was then related and then fulfilled.

Maybe things have changed since I was young and stupid.
I'm sure they have.
But now that I'm old and stupid I can't help but believe communication between the consumer and service provider have changed much.

And with my personality it's a good thing I got out of the food service industry.
Old 07-09-2016, 02:40 AM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Putting my hand over the cup is my only recourse, I usually have a mouth full of food when they approach. Good manners dictate I don't talk with food in my mouth...

Tags
coffee