"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 12-31-2008, 05:39 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I really like the fair trade cocoa powder.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:02 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Good morning and Happy New Year!

I think what you buy depends, in part, on how much you're willing to spend. Myself, I love Fortnum and Masons Irish Breakfast Tea, Maruage Freres's Earl Grey Blue, and Fauchon's Anniversary teas -- and these are only the black teas, not to mention the green teas or teas I use when I make spiced chai. What I mean to say is that there really are many, many different types of teas and if you've not had the pleasure of tasting the difference between an Earl Gray and a Lady Earl Gray, I recommend buying an assortment (most often in tea bags) and sample around to see what you like. Of these I recommend to start with Twinings as they are not very expensive and give you a point of reference. And do try Japanese, Chinese, and Taiwanese green teas, oolon, and pu ur teas, they're really wonderful.

As for cocoa, I'm biased here, I like melt chocolate in whole milk when I want hot chocolate and add a touch of cinnamon, vanilla, rum, or espresso to it. Much better than cocoa powdered hot chocolate.

Hope this helps

wm

Old 12-31-2008, 06:36 PM   #13
Head Chef

Trader Joe's Sippin Chocolate is suppose to be Bellagio.
I also like Bernard Callebaut and Guittard.

I am also a big fan of Harney teas.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:15 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt_Toast View Post
Hey is my opera browser or is the board acting funny?
It's just us - we always act funny!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:44 PM   #15
Head Chef

I have some Fortnum and Mason tea that was a gift. It is the Queen's favorite. lol
Old 12-31-2008, 10:00 PM   #16
Master Chef

Some of the hot chocolates we like: Trader Joe's Sippin, Godiva, and a blend I put together using coco powder and my own mix. It was loosly based on a few recipe idea I got off of FN's web site. Sometimes that is the best, what you put together yourself using recipes instead of just what you buy in the store.
As for teas, Tazo is good, and we sometimes order thru Gevalia they have good teas as well.
Next to try is hot chocolate from Penzy's, turns out we have one nearby in Oak Park that I didn't know about even though we must have walked by it a dozen times in the last year. I am looking forward to going there to replenish my spices as well.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:16 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
I have some Fortnum and Mason tea that was a gift. It is the Queen's favorite. lol
Which Queen, you or Elizabeth

(I guess my family connections are out, eh.)
Old 12-31-2008, 10:48 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
Some of the hot chocolates we like: Trader Joe's Sippin, Godiva, and a blend I put together using coco powder and my own mix. It was loosly based on a few recipe idea I got off of FN's web site. Sometimes that is the best, what you put together yourself using recipes instead of just what you buy in the store.
As for teas, Tazo is good, and we sometimes order thru Gevalia they have good teas as well.
Next to try is hot chocolate from Penzy's, turns out we have one nearby in Oak Park that I didn't know about even though we must have walked by it a dozen times in the last year. I am looking forward to going there to replenish my spices as well.
Oh maverick, you're in for a treat. But take inventory before you go ... I get in there and nearly go blank. Love Penzeys. LOVE IT. Aside from freshness, I find it's quite reasonably priced overall compared to the supermarkets.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:54 PM   #19
Master Chef

Yea, I better take some inventory or I will go mad and walk out with half the store LOL.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:22 PM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by whole milk View Post
Which Queen, you or Elizabeth

(I guess my family connections are out, eh.)
Actually my friend who lives in London and worked at Picadilly at Universal Music before it moved, sent me Putnam Mason Royal Blend Tea. It was first blended for King Edward VII in the summer of 1902 and still comes with the royal seal and in this case, a lovely dark green box that was beribboned and that also contained a silver metal teapot (and server) in which to place the loose tea before putting it in your teacup. The server was to be used for placing the teapot after your tea was brewed.

Me, I was dubbed Queen of all things baked by a friend, Koshersalty. It was cute and stuck, sorta like Pie Susan.