Hard Cider

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You are lucky!

Once a year - usually late April or early May - we have a big bottling party at the house, where family and friends come over and we bottle the stuff from the previous year. For their gracious assistance, I "pay" the participants in food and wine. I have one rule for these gatherings: no one gets to drink until the work is done.

On average I make a dozen different varieties of wine in a given year, and there are always the inevitable partial bottles leftover after bottling sessions. Those partial bottles are the ones I put out first once the bottling is finished, and they are quickly swooped in upon by thirsty participants.

I don't think any of those bottles ever lasts more than about 10 minutes. :LOL:

Last edited:
Sunday we tried the little partial bottle.

It was a little sharper that I would like, but it hasn't had near enough time to mellow as it should. It was more mellow than when we bottled so that is a good sign. I think it will be right nice in a few more weeks.

I started the next batch last night as well. I didn't put tannin in and I didn't fortify it with sugar this time. the online ABV thing said I can only expect about 6.2ABV out of this one which is ok. I did use the same brand of bottled cider for the start.

Looking forward to seeing the difference in the two products.

Got 20 l of cider in the carboy fermenting. We used 10 l of cider from the crab apples we picked at the farm and 10 l of cider from the apples off the tree at my house (no idea what kind of tree it is--could be a MacIntosh--the apples are quite juicy and a bit tart). Took a bit of experimenting with the press to master getting the cider extracted. I think it worked best with 3000 psi, but not sure. The first batch of apples put through the press splattered all over...that was a bit of a mess. If we don't like it, I see 20 l of apple cider vinegar in my future.

Last edited:
Just bottled attempt #2.

This one we didn't add sugar to start. The ABV seems to read about 6.7.

We both really liked this one going into the bottle so we are really excited to try it in a few weeks. This time we had 7 full bottles and alittle left over. The left over is already gone.

Just sitting here enjoying a glass myself. We're down to the last gallon from 2013, but in two weeks we're picking up another 15 gallons from the orchard.

I don't like adding sugar, either, Frank. If sugar is a little on the low side, that's fine. Just as long is there is enough to preserve it. I've noticed that whenever I have to add sugar, it tends to throw the balance off.

Cheers!

img_1389249_0_56f34c3247abcd43e2f30cf4d3134040.jpg

i wish ronjohn was still here. he made outstanding hard cider using champagne yeast.

it was delicious; not too sweet or tart, and the bubbles were tiny as if from a bottle of champagne.

it easily rivalled magners or bullmers, but was more refined tasting in a way.

Magners style is what I try to aim for. Crisp and refreshing. Most of the American ciders are waaaay too sweet for my taste.

This year, I'm also thinking about making a batch that includes some cranberry juice in it. Cranberry and apple makes a delicious beverage.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom