"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 12-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #31
Executive Chef

Please let us know if you succeed in making a Salvator or Troegenator style double bock.

Old 12-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

Home brewing isn't hard and very economical after you factor in the initial investment of less than $50 for special equipment. Things like a hydrometer for measuring the solutions specific gravity and a bottle capper are the most expensive investments.

Get a book a beer making would be my advice. It's super way easier than cooking imo.

This summer I was cleaning out the cellar and found some cases of my old brew and shared them with friends they thought it tasted pretty good for more the 15 years old. You'll never get that longevity out of store bought beer that's because it's pasteurized.

Our brew was alive and slowly working all these years that's why it was still drinkable. And while dark in color it was clear enough to read a newspaper threw.

Haven't brewed in awhile but am seriously thinking about it thanks to wife's decision to get bottled water. If you going to make beer you need good water and everything has to be clean clean.

There's a trick to poring home brew so it don't cloud up....once uncapped don't let it bubble as you ever so slightly tip and pour. And keep your eye on the 'mother' in the bottom of the bottle ...it'll cloud up your drink if any bubbles disturb it or you pour it in.

The mother is still alive and can be used to start another batch. Beer yeast use to be so inexpensive I always used a new packet.

Old 12-19-2010, 08:35 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoFX View Post
i would go with glass carboys. instead of plastic, but if not atleast a plastic carboy over a bucket. but that is my preference
I wouldn't bother with glass yet. It doesn't make a huge difference unless you are aging your beer for a long time. (over 6 months). Plastic breathes a litttle, but you'll have the beer out of your primary in 4-5 weeks and you'll be bottling it up. If you want glass, get it after you brew a few batches and decide that it's something you want to spend 50 bucks on.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:02 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I used to brew beer. It can be quite rewarding.
I really used to enjoy my version of stout. There is something almost magical about drinking your own beer.
.40 Caliber's recommendation of the book by Papazian is excellent as his advice on sanitation. If you want to cut costs somewhere, DON'T compromise where cleanliness and sanitary are concerned. And plastic is ok but I had a batch of beer that turned out very weird on my second use of a plastic fermenter. Never again!! I will stick to glass.
I hope you will find homebrewing a fun and enjoyable hobby.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:59 AM   #35
Senior Cook

So did you start brewing?
Sorry for bumping an older thread but I was wondering how many homebrewers where here. I can't believe noboby says how cheap it is to do a kit. I got my primary and secondary buckets for free from walmart baking area. I spent maybe 30 dollars on my setup. My brew pot was the most costly item. I'm on my second batch right now.
I enjoy it.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:24 PM   #36
Chief Eating Officer

I brewed one batch so far, but I have two others ready to begin once I have time. Interestingly, I just drank my last one a few nights ago. I found that it tasted much different (and much better) after sitting in the fridge for an extended period of time. It was probably about 6 months between my last and second to last and the difference between the two was drastic. After sitting it got a whole new depth of flavor much closer to what I was hoping to get.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Glad to hear the homebrew is coming along for you. Usually, if the beer isn't hoppy, it will get better with time. These are typically darker beers like porters and stouts, and they age nicely for about 2 years. If the beer is hop forward, they are usually better fresh. I try to let my beers sit in the fridge for at least 3 days before opening them to draw the sediment to the bottom of the bottle. If it's appropriate for the style (wheat beers) I gently pour the whole thing into a glass. This leaves a little sediment in the bottle. If it's not appropriate for style, I pour past ambient light to see when the beer starts to pour cloudy. I stop pouring probably around the last 1/2 inch or 1/4 inch. I typically drink that last sip straight from the bottle and it's fairly dank. After that I enjoy 11.7 oz of great quality homebrew.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:50 AM   #38
Chief Eating Officer

Maybe you can give me a tip on how to wash the glass bottle that the beer ferments in. I find that the most difficult part of the process and if I could find an easy effective way to clean it then I would be more apt to do this more often.

This first batch was a lighter hoppier beer. It might have even been a wheat beer, but I do not remember anymore. i let it sit 2 weeks if the fridge before my first take. it was pretty watery and not a lot of flavor. It seemed to be on part with a bud or similar. The last one I had tasted more like a Bass or a darker ale type brew.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #39
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Jet bottle washer : Midwest Supplies

Try one of these. Connects to the sink faucet. Placing a bottle on and pushing on the wire opens the valve.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #40
Wine Guy

A carboy brush is helpful to own as well. Sometimes you get stuff stuck on the glass that the sprayer can't get off.

Carboy Brush : Midwest Supplies