"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 06-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #171
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Andy, those K-cups marked "Extra Bold"are the coffees measured for the 10-12 ounce sized mugs. After that you check the roast: light, medium or dark.

I know there is a thread somewhere with a post I made where I sacrificed a regular and an "Extra Bold" to find out how much coffee was in each. You are supposed to use an espresso grind when you use the refillable cups.

If you want and you ask real nice I will sacrifice a couple K-Cups again...
There were different amounts of coffee in the cups? From memory, was it double?

Old 06-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #172
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
...You are supposed to use an espresso grind when you use the refillable cups...
Seriously? So if I want to use my favorite coffee, I have to regrind it to a finer grind?

Old 06-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #173
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
There were different amounts of coffee in the cups? From memory, was it double?
No memory, that's why I offered to do another sacrifice.

Espresso grind because it exposes more coffee surfaces to the fast hot water stream.

I can do this experiment tomorrow...right now it's bedtime if I want to wake up in time for work in the morning. Happy to do it, I have some of my own refillables and can put the coffee in those.
Old 06-07-2013, 12:44 AM   #174
Master Chef

If I can make a strange suggestion? Don't know your coffee drinking pattern (you're both home, you're home and SO out all day, etc) but in our house we use a thermos. Happens if I'm in the mood for flavored coffee or one of us is ready for coffee, the other won't be drinking it for hours. We use either a 16 or 20 oz (don't remember which) lunchbox type, or a 1 quart+ thermal pitcher. Whoever is going to nurse cup after cup could brew up the thermos coffee to keep it warm without becoming bitter, the other then brews what they want. I know it doesn't solve the "two pots" dilemma but it is cheaper and you already know how to brew to strength for your cups. As a bonus, whenever we're out for the day we fill our travel mugs and then fill the pint+thermos and go!

Neighbors absolutely loved their Keurig when they first got it a year or so ago. Loved the fact they could each have a different variety cup after cup after cup. After a year they still loved the convenience and variety but were getting really tired of the cost per cup. Just a little food for thought to go with your brew.

Finally, I've loved my Cuisinart makers. Over the past dozen years or so we've gone through three. They're warrantied for 3 years. Top snaps off the pot? My fault when trying to cram it into the dishwasher, but when I called to tell them it snapped off they didn't ask how. Shipped the part fast and free. Same with any other little issue I've had, not that there have been many. The first two were Grind-and-Brew styles and they had a few recurring issues. This one is their Brew Station that has a coffeemaker and hot water reservoir for tea, etc. LOVE IT! Not one problem in nearly 3 years (I've jinxed myself, haven't I ).
Old 06-07-2013, 01:28 AM   #175
Executive Chef

I have the same coffee maker Mrs. LMB it replaced our Cuisinart that lasted about a year before burning up (literally).

My main complaint with the Keurig coffee I have been served, is that I don't find it hot enough. Perhaps there is a way to change the temp?
Old 06-07-2013, 01:33 AM   #176
Master Chef

Somebunny, didn't you call Cuisinart? They would have replaced the unit for you!
Old 06-07-2013, 03:52 AM   #177
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Somebunny, didn't you call Cuisinart? They would have replaced the unit for you!
Ah CG, we looked high and low for our receipt, thought we bought it at Costco but couldn't remember. DH thought we had owned it too long to return. I spent some tone on the Cuisinart forums, where other folks said they got no where with similar problems, so just decided to let it go. We are happy with our Mr. Coffee :)
Old 06-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #178
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
I have the same coffee maker Mrs. LMB it replaced our Cuisinart that lasted about a year before burning up (literally).

My main complaint with the Keurig coffee I have been served, is that I don't find it hot enough. Perhaps there is a way to change the temp?

not hot enough? tell me you're kidding, please, somebun! the problem i had
with my keurig coffee was that it was tongue-burning hot. here i was, finally able to brew a mug of coffee in less than one minute, but then had to wait five minutes before i could begin to drink it!! i don't add cream or sugar, so no help there, either...my solution? don't shoot me--i found a coffee blend so strong that it could withstand my adding a couple of ounces cold water without disturbing its bold, robust flavor....
Old 06-07-2013, 10:21 AM   #179
Everymom

My Keurig has a temperature adjustment thingy. It says "brew temp". Mine is set for 192, which is considered optimal, but you can adjust it.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #180
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
My Keurig has a temperature adjustment thingy. It says "brew temp". Mine is set for 192, which is considered optimal, but you can adjust it.

where is that thingy located, lexi?

Tags
coffee