"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 11-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I find it suspicious that your problem occurred right after cleaning the machine and changing the filter. I would look at those facts and strongly resist the temptation to upgrade your machine.

Until two years ago, I was still on the completely manual system of making coffee, always prepared for the usual power outages, but bought a Cuisinart coffee maker when I was having frequent house guests. I have decalcified the machine one time and changed the filter a few times now. I do use the 1-4 button each time, no matter how many cups I make, because the 1-4 button gives hotter water.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
Sounds like you are not getting the water hot enough for a good extraction.

Use a thermometer to take the temperature of the water coming out of the machine.

Ideally, the water should be 195-200. Most auto drip brewer pnly heat the water to 165 or so. If yours is below that the boiler is shot.

And if it's too hot, it can burn the coffee and make it a bit bitter.

Maybe the coffee is to blame. Try making a cup of coffee some other way. If nothing else, you can boil some water, let it cool to 195-200 and just pour it into a cup with a spoon of the coffee grounds in the cup. Give it a stir and let it sit until the grounds have settled out.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Only the really high end machines heat the water that hot. Probably not the boiler.

Try this:
Empty the water tank
Put in 1 cup of vinegar
Put in 1 cup of water
Use a filter
Catch the vinegar water mixture in the pot

Repeat at least 3 times- reusing the liquid

Once your done, flush the maker with fresh water.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:29 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Beth, did your coffee stay consistent after cleaning or did it take a few pots to settle in?
Old 11-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Beth, did your coffee stay consistent after cleaning or did it take a few pots to settle in?

LOL, I am not a good one to answer that one. Even though I need coffee everyday, I will drink any concoction with caffeine and don't pay much attention to the quality of the product. But I don't remember any significant change in the quality or any settling in changes. I only decalcified the machine because the "clean your machine" button came on.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:43 AM   #16

+1 for the completely manual method. Check out this thread...

Old 11-02-2012, 11:47 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
LOL, I am not a good one to answer that one. Even though I need coffee everyday, I will drink any concoction with caffeine and don't pay much attention to the quality of the product. But I don't remember any significant change in the quality or any settling in changes. I only decalcified the machine because the "clean your machine" button came on.
I've been leaning towards wanting a better cup of coffee lately, especially seeing all those Keurig Vue commercials
I'm just not willing to spend 50 bucks/lb for coffee
Seriously, I would like a better tasting cup, but could probably accomplish that simply by buying better coffee.

Off to read links...
Old 11-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I've been leaning towards wanting a better cup of coffee lately, especially seeing all those Keurig Vue commercials
I'm just not willing to spend 50 bucks/lb for coffee
Seriously, I would like a better tasting cup, but could probably accomplish that simply by buying better coffee.

Off to read links...
I would have said that Folgers in quite good coffee. It's what I use. But, this last container doesn't seem as good as the previous ones. It's hard to be sure, because I have just switched back to drinking mostly drip coffee instead of exclusively espresso allongé at home.
Old 11-02-2012, 11:59 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Yeah, I always liked Folgers in the past.
I suppose I ought to run some vinegar water through it a few times and open another canister. That will be the telltale.

And I need something more automated than those Melitas and Chemex's. I can't see me boiling water and then pouring it into the brewing device. Not during the wee hours.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:04 PM   #20

If you find that you need a new brewer, check these out. Expensive yes, but it is one of the few appliances that heats the water to correct temperatures.

Technivorm Moccamaster Coffee Brewer With Thermo Carafe - Technivorm 9587: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

Tags
coffee