"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 06-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #211
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Alix, you answered two thoughts (questions) with one post.
I noticed that little adapter thingy when I cruised Kienna's actual website. I hadn't seen the adapter mentioned on Tweed's site. It looks different than the one I have for brewing bulk coffee, so surmised that one would not work as well.
Maybe if I call and throw together a sampler package they will throw it in.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:10 PM   #212
Everymom

Sometimes they have coupon specials, but the one that added the adapter was on last month. You just missed it. Its only $7 I think.

Old 06-09-2013, 12:41 AM   #213
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Its the coffee pods. Here is the link. Look for Santa's Blend. Very smooth, medium roast. Says its flavored but its not really.
Alix, what kind of brewer do you use these pods with? We have a senseo at work, the pods that it uses look quite the same. We find it increasingly difficult to find pods for the Senseo in the grocery stores, maybe these will work.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #214
Everymom

I have a Keurig. I don't know if they would work, but I suspect they would. You can buy a 10 sized sampler and give it a try. Not too expensive that way. I just realized that Bed, Bath and Beyond carried these too.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #215
Certified Pretend Chef

I've noticed a wide variance in K-Cup prices. BB&B had them today for $1 each in a 12 pack. Our supermarket had them for $6 for a 12 pack. Costco has them for about $0.38 each in a 50 pack.

SO likes the Nantucket Blend and I really like the Tully's French Roast. I also tried a cup of Dunkin Donuts dark roast using the My K-Cup thingy.

Sadly, SO is dangerous with new gadgets. She gets up earlier than I in the morning. So the night before, I filled the My K-Cup with her decaf. I explained that when she came to the kitchen, the coffee maker would be on and the water would be hot and all she had to do was press the BREW button.

When I came down later, she was all upset, had reprogrammed the clock on the Keurig and changed the cup size. She actually got a cup of coffee out of it.

This last night I explained it all again, stressing that all she had to do was press the BREW button. When she got up, she decided she wanted a Nantucket Blend so she took out the My K-cup and put in the NB cup, not realizing she had to put in the K cup holder. She got a cup of hot water. Then she figured that part out and got a cup of coffee. In the process, she had scrambled the clock and reset it for PM instead of AM.

I don't know if the coffee maker or I will be the first to break down.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #216
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Times change, things change. SO and I are now considering a one cup coffee maker. After reading this and a couple of other threads on where to get coffee, I'm floundering is a sea of information.

So, one step at a time.

Fred, I see you bought a commercial model (#145). Are you happy with that/are there any issues? Do you know if there are still issues with the Platinum series?

We use mugs that hold about 10 ounces of coffee (before cream). Do we need different K-Cups pr do we do 2 K-Cups to fill a mug?
If you only want one cup at a time with an optional refill a small cafetiere is your best bet. Ground coffee in the glass container - boil kettle - pour water just off the boil onto the grounds - allow to brew for a few minutes (depends on your personal taste) - stir - pres down plunger - pour into cup - drink. Seemples as the meerkats say.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #217
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
If you only want one cup at a time with an optional refill a small cafetiere is your best bet. Ground coffee in the glass container - boil kettle - pour water just off the boil onto the grounds - allow to brew for a few minutes (depends on your personal taste) - stir - pres down plunger - pour into cup - drink. Seemples as the meerkats say.
All set, thanks.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #218
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've noticed a wide variance in K-Cup prices. BB&B had them today for $1 each in a 12 pack. Our supermarket had them for $6 for a 12 pack. Costco has them for about $0.38 each in a 50 pack.

SO likes the Nantucket Blend and I really like the Tully's French Roast. I also tried a cup of Dunkin Donuts dark roast using the My K-Cup thingy.

Sadly, SO is dangerous with new gadgets. She gets up earlier than I in the morning. So the night before, I filled the My K-Cup with her decaf. I explained that when she came to the kitchen, the coffee maker would be on and the water would be hot and all she had to do was press the BREW button.

When I came down later, she was all upset, had reprogrammed the clock on the Keurig and changed the cup size. She actually got a cup of coffee out of it.

This last night I explained it all again, stressing that all she had to do was press the BREW button. When she got up, she decided she wanted a Nantucket Blend so she took out the My K-cup and put in the NB cup, not realizing she had to put in the K cup holder. She got a cup of hot water. Then she figured that part out and got a cup of coffee. In the process, she had scrambled the clock and reset it for PM instead of AM.

I don't know if the coffee maker or I will be the first to break down.
I am not laughing...

Shrek has fits when he notices I have put a mug on that we haven't tested for size...really goes nuts when he notices I've hit the 12 ounce at the same time...
Old 06-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #219
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I am not laughing...

Shrek has fits when he notices I have put a mug on that we haven't tested for size...really goes nuts when he notices I've hit the 12 ounce at the same time...

hah, men! and, you ARE testing it for size.

i think andy is gonna be okay. did you know, he even has a 'thingy' now. very promising, i'd say....
Old 06-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #220
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
...he even has a 'thingy' now. very promising, i'd say....

I used to say doohickie but thingy is easier to type.

Tags
coffee