"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 06-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #251
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
Dawgluver, you don't really need the water filter...
Depends on the taste of your water. Our town's has a bit of a funky taste to me. When I ran out I could tell the difference so I ended up using the filtered water from the refrigerator dispenser. Takes too long with coldcold water though so I bought new filters for my coffeemaker right quick.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:18 PM   #252
Certified Pretend Chef

We don't drink the water out of the faucets here. It's well water and has an unpleasant taste to us. We buy spring water by the gallon from our local supermarket and use that for drinking/coffee/ice/etc.

Old 06-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #253
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

We have well water, and a Culligan softening system, with potassium chloride, not sodium chloride. The cold water is unfiltered.

I think I'll stick in the filter, what could go wrong?
Old 06-10-2013, 10:37 PM   #254
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
...The Keurig website wants $25 for 6 (filters).
We get bagged coffee shipped to us from Green Mountain Coffee as members of their Coffee Club, which is free. For Keurig owners they have free shipping if you order so many boxes. FWIW the Tully's FR is $16.49 for 24 cups, $13.98 with club membership. The 80 cup box is $49.99 ($42.39 club). Green Mountain also sells the water filters for the retail price but if you are in the Coffee Club they are $21.16. Don't know if the entire order would be free or they prorate the cost, but for you Keurig owners it wouldn't hurt to check Green Mountain Coffee Roasters. They actually offer tons of brands. They've been buying up or partnering with lots of companies lately.
Old 06-10-2013, 10:40 PM   #255
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post

We get bagged coffee shipped to us from Green Mountain Coffee as members of their Coffee Club, which is free. For Keurig owners they have free shipping if you order so many boxes. FWIW the Tully's FR is $16.49 for 24 cups, $13.98 with club membership. The 80 cup box is $49.99 ($42.39 club). Green Mountain also sells the water filters for the retail price but if you are in the Coffee Club they are $21.16. Don't know if the entire order would be free or they prorate the cost, but for you Keurig owners it wouldn't hurt to check Green Mountain Coffee Roasters. They actually offer tons of brands. They've been buying up or partnering with lots of companies lately.
Good info, thanks CG!
Old 06-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #256
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
That's where I get the coffees we drink the most, it's also up to you how often a scheduled order is placed. I'm at every two months right now and I can always place an extra order if I choose.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #257
Certified Pretend Chef

Not sure if this was mentioned before. Green Mountain Coffee owns Keurig.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:52 PM   #258
Master Chef

It makes sense. And if they don't own something they very well might be in some sort of product partnership with them: Our Family of Brands

Even mighty Starbucks has to come to the Green Mountain if they want their product used in a Keurig. BwaHaHaHa!
Old 06-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #259
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I've read that if you freeze coffee, every time you take it out of the freezer, there's some condensation, and the moisture from the freeze-thaw cycle makes it deteriorate. We keep our whole beans in the fridge, mostly to keep it out of the way, though it probably has the same condensation issue. With the K-cups, they're all individually packaged and sealed, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Once the packaging is open the coffee goes off in a matter of days even if you try to remove the air by hand and reseal the pack. The only way of getting round this would be to use one of those home vacuum sealers which would be a pain in the neck if you only drank one cup of coffee a day let alone several.

The freezing notion does work - I've been using it for years - and it works well. I used to be able to buy small amounts of coffee beans and grind them myself as I needed them which is the best way of getting fresh coffee but the coffee merchant's shop in the village closed and we can only buy coffee beans in large packs at the supermarket.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #260
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post

Chamomile tea is sleep inducing, the tea is completely caffiene free.
Doesn't it have mint too? I find chamomile relaxing and I find mint sleep inducing.

Tags
coffee