Help with coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...pac, as to the question of whether you need to wait between coffee brewings with the keurig, i would say no. ....

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it would be OK to pour cold water into a machine that had just finished brewing a cup.

Andy M. said:
In that case, I give up.

I'm fascinated by the one cup brewers but it doesn't make a lot of sense for us. I saw a Cuisinart one-cup that has a small coffee holder that you fill with your own coffee and brew one cup so you don't have to buy the expensive single serving containers. Not sure if it also takes the containers.

You can also get refillable Keurig cups. They're about $6 on Amazon, also available elsewhere.

We don't drink much coffee, it makes me really jittery. It might be the Gevalia Kenyan we have, seems like it's uber caffinated.

Last edited:
Thanks. I wasn't sure if it would be OK to pour cold water into a machine that had just finished brewing a cup.

The machines you are looking at have a reservoir and the water is automatically drawn up and heated after your cup is made. Thus a cup in seconds rather than minutes.

If we drank 5-6 cups of coffee(each) a day the Keurig would be too expensive to keep up for Shrek and I. But, one or two cups a day, it is a bargain as we are not throwing out coffee.

The K-Cups called "Extra Bold" are formulated for the travel mugs, they hold 3 tablespoons of fine ground coffee. I just dissected one to find that out. The refillables will hold that amount.

With my coffee club my cups are costing 56 cents each.

Last edited:
You guys just need to cut it out. We've been thinking about getting a Keurig, since we don't drink coffee that much, but do like an occasional cup. Now I'm about over the edge. Next stop, Amazon.com.

You guys just need to cut it out. We've been thinking about getting a Keurig, since we don't drink coffee that much, but do like an occasional cup. Now I'm about over the edge. Next stop, Amazon.com.

They sell boxes of 80 K-Cups at Costco...:devilish:

PrincessFiona60 said:
They sell boxes of 80 K-Cups at Costco...:devilish:

:LOL: it would take us 2 years to go through them! Still, added to my Costco list!

The only reason the Keurig crossed my mind is because I saw they offer an 18oz cup now. It is for their travel mug. Since I make 8 cups in the morning (at what, 4oz/cup?), sometimes drinking it all, but usually having a cup leftover for midday or the following morning, that seemed to add some practicality to that type of brewer. An 18oz cup would probably suit me fine in the morning and it I want another midday I can use a single serving size.
But the cost... ouch. I haven't read yet if they make a larger 18oz refillable K cup to use your own grounds.

My daughter has the Keurig. And like you said, "Oh the expense!" So now they have Keurig My K-Cup Reusable Coffee Filter: Amazon.com: Home & Kitchen

You can use your own preferred ground coffee. The ones being advertised on TV were horrible. You lost more coffee to the counter than what went into your cup. They also cost more to ship than the price of them. This one is made by Keurig. I haven't read the reviews. I will let you do that.

I am quite happy with my Mr. Coffee machine at this time. When the Keurig patent runs out and other major small appliance makers come out with their version of the Keurig at a lower price, I will then consider buying one. I am not one who has to have the latest and greatest as soon as it hits the streets. As long as what I have works, I am happy with it. :angel:

Sounds to me that you are their next customer. Go for it. Happy shopping! They also take up less space on your counter. :angel:

dawg, just don't go running off to buy keurig's platinum b70 coffee machine without first checking out the smaller, less expensive models.--'specially if you guys aren't regular coffee drinkers. i'm happy with my b60, but you might look at the b40 model too. if you shop carefully you might not even spend a hundred dollars--but not likely at amazon....:)

i too thought a case of 100 k cups would last me like, forever. but, the coffee was so phenomenally good that i first doubled, then tripled, my daily intake of coffee. that first case of coffee k cups ended up lasting two of us less than one month!

these days i spend a few pleasurable hours every month or two bidding on keurig coffee k cups on ebay, and am on the lookout for new brands and flavors to try out with my keurig machine....

vitauta said:
dawg, just don't go running off to buy keurig's platinum b70 coffee machine without first checking out the smaller, less expensive models.--'specially if you guys aren't regular coffee drinkers. i'm happy with my b60, but you might look at the b40 model too. if you shop carefully you might not even spend a hundred dollars--but not likely at amazon....:)

i too thought a case of 100 k cups would last me like, forever. but, the coffee was so phenomenally good that i first doubled, then tripled, my daily intake of coffee. that first case of coffee k cups ended up lasting two of us less than one month!

these days i spend a few pleasurable hours every month or two bidding on keurig coffee k cups on ebay, and am on the lookout for new brands and flavors to try out with my keurig machine....

Good advice, Vit! Thanks! The credit card is still safely in my wallet, for how long, I don't know.....

Thermos

Are you leaving your coffee on a warming element? That can make it bitter pretty quickly. Thermos type containers are better. Long roasted beans are more bitter, too (e.g. French Roast).

Pacanis, I did some research last year and this thread is my chronicle. Short story, I love the Keurig, and my work bought us one to use as well. Love it love it love it. The add on "My K Cup" thing is great if you have a preferred grind or blend of coffee. We use it a lot. Its cheaper too if that is an issue for you.

Here's my Top Ten list:
1. Fast, perfect cup every time
2. Versatile, can use your own coffee and not be limited to the prepackaged K Cups.
3. No wait time between cups.
4. Can choose brewer size and features (we got the programmable one that has auto shut off. $114 at Walmart)
5. If you buy K Cups online from Keurig you can get discounts. If you register your brewer you get 2 free boxes with 2 boxes purchased. I think I pay about $12/24 K Cups for the flavored kind.
6. No mess, no fuss, no wasted coffee
7. No brain power required first thing in the AM. Put the cup under, pod in, hit button. Ahhhh!
8. Can use it to make tea. There is no coffee residue left to taint your tea.
9. 192º is the perfect brewing temp for both coffee and tea.
10. Its fun as hell. ;)

Hot water to make a cup of broth, don't put a K-Cup in. I've even made a "Cup o'Noodles" with the Keurig.

how was your coffee this morning, pac? :)

Oh just finnnne... :rolleyes:
lol, Sunday I don't make coffee ;) I had 1c left over from yesterday's brew, which heated up just fine. I can't believe I was drinking such nasty coffee for weeks, maybe months, before cleaning, plus whatever might have been "off" with the Folgers I had open. The new canister and a few extra rinses has breathed new life back into my coffee.

That's not to say I haven't been reading revues all morning on V-cups vs K-cups ;)

PrincessFiona60 said:
Hot water to make a cup of broth, don't put a K-Cup in. I've even made a "Cup o'Noodles" with the Keurig.

My DIL has one of these. I make tea without a k-cup all the time. I found a box of Tazo Awake tea in K-cups to take along next time I go to her house though! :)

Back
Top Bottom