"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 11-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #31
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Hey Andy, that's the same machine I have, in black.

I don't drink coffee at night, so tomorrow morning will tell...
Just had a thought. Where did you measure the water temperature? (I don't mean 'in the kitchen')

Old 11-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #32
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Yes, I just brewed up a cup of Green Mountain Dark Magic with my Keurig. Looks like Shrek is getting a cup of Tully's House Blend. Since we only drink one or two cups of coffee a day, the Keurig is worth it. Our last days of drip coffee, we were tossing half a pot of coffee a day or reheating it the next day...we like coffee too much to put up with so-so brew.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy, I measured the water right before it drips into the pot. That's the only place I thought to do it. I wasn't sure if I could lift the lid and measure it or not.

I am ready for my third cup, which means at last my coffee is drinkable once more.
That said, it just isn't "doing it" for me. I fear that months of drinking less than par coffee may have killed my coffee tastebuds, lol.

Hey you Keurig users... How long do you have to wait before brewing another cup? Is there a cooling off period? Just curious.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:07 AM   #34
Senior Cook

I enjoyed this post, pacanis. Thanks for bringing it in.

I grind my own coffee, and bought a grinder which has little grinding wheels in it, rather than blades. A coffee expert told me this tip. He said that if you over-grind the coffee beans, the coffee will be acid-tasting.
Black and Decker makes a good, medium-priced coffee grinder with grinding wheels.
I also prefer organic coffee beans. I can taste the chemicals sprayed on the non-organic beans. (very strong taste and smell buds, have I). My favourite brand these days is Zavida, sold at Costco.

Good luck with yours!
Old 11-03-2012, 09:38 AM   #35
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Andy, I measured the water right before it drips into the pot. That's the only place I thought to do it. I wasn't sure if I could lift the lid and measure it or not.

I am ready for my third cup, which means at last my coffee is drinkable once more.
That said, it just isn't "doing it" for me. I fear that months of drinking less than par coffee may have killed my coffee tastebuds, lol.

Hey you Keurig users... How long do you have to wait before brewing another cup? Is there a cooling off period? Just curious.
I would try to measure the water as it is delivered to the coffee basket. I suspect it cools as it runs through the grounds. If you try to do that, wait until the last of the water is delivered to the basket then lift the lid and measure in the water on top of the grounds.

However, if the water gets hot enough and your coffee still sucks, it's probably the pot since the coffee is the same.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy, I ran the water through without grounds when I measured it. So knowing that (now) my machine may be running a tad cooler that optimum. The water probably didn't cool 20 degrees.

Soma, I looked into those for a while. It seemed at the time (a few years ago) they were all dubbed hard to clean from the grounds that escaped. It has crossed my mind to look back into them, though. I like the idea of the whole beans keeping freshness in until right before brewing.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:28 AM   #37
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Andy, I ran the water through without grounds when I measured it. So knowing that (now) my machine may be running a tad cooler that optimum. The water probably didn't cool 20 degrees...

In that case, I give up.

I'm fascinated by the one cup brewers but it doesn't make a lot of sense for us. I saw a Cuisinart one-cup that has a small coffee holder that you fill with your own coffee and brew one cup so you don't have to buy the expensive single serving containers. Not sure if it also takes the containers.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #38
Executive Chef

I wish I could smell all of this coffee brewing. I just love the smell. Too bad I don't like drinking it, but no matter, it smells wonderful! Oh wait, I think I can smell it now.......

No, it's Hubby in the kitchen making coffee. LOL. :)
Old 11-03-2012, 10:57 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

The only reason the Keurig crossed my mind is because I saw they offer an 18oz cup now. It is for their travel mug. Since I make 8 cups in the morning (at what, 4oz/cup?), sometimes drinking it all, but usually having a cup leftover for midday or the following morning, that seemed to add some practicality to that type of brewer. An 18oz cup would probably suit me fine in the morning and it I want another midday I can use a single serving size.
But the cost... ouch. I haven't read yet if they make a larger 18oz refillable K cup to use your own grounds.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:14 AM   #40
Executive Chef

not a coffee connoisseur by anyone's definition, i have developed a taste and appreciation for a rich, bold, full-bodied cup of coffee. don't know beans about (coffee) beans, but love the tantalizing aroma (and sound) of coffee beans as they are grinding and pouring....

i like to satisfy my newly discovered "coffee moods" with one of a variety of coffee blends, from sumatra, to hazelnut, french roast to newman's best and others....my initial idea of following up my first "top shelf" coffee mug of the day with cheaper generics was quickly abandoned. still, the approximate 60 cents per mug cost is one i can live with--coffee lover that i have become....for those who can't or won't, making one's own coffee k-cups with favorite coffee blends can provide a simple alternative solution. few people i know drink 5-8 cups of coffee as i do every day....:)

pac, as to the question of whether you need to wait between coffee brewings with the keurig, i would say no. though i haven't had the occasion to make more than three mugs back-to-back myself, the keurig is a popular coffee machine choice for the workplace that needs to accommodate numerous coffee drinkers on a daily basis....

Tags
coffee