Help with coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I recieved the single cup model as a Christmas gift, which is great because I wouldn't spend that much on myself. I was also given the reusable filter which allows for the use of your own coffee, plus a few varieties of the K-cups. I tried my regular coffee (Maxwell House) and found it to be a bit weak. I suspect this may be due to my coffee being a regular grind. I wonder if it would help to buzz it a few times in the coffee grinder to produce a finer grind? I do like being able to make a single cup with no waste.
I would give it a whiz in the coffee grinder. I often do that with Folgers, to use with my espresso machine.

I think you're right Addie,
It probably makes more sense for you to make a full pot for use during the day. For me it is just a convenience. I only use it in the morning before leaving the house for work. Of course I stop at the convenience store for another cup before I get to work!:)

I think I'll try the grinder Taxlady,
It can't hurt to give it a shot.

Folgers (what I currently have) and Maxwell House seem to have the same grind. My Folgers tastes fine if I put 3 scoops (TB?) in a refillable Eko Brew cup and run 2-10z cycles. They each have so many different flavors though that I wonder if that has something to do with it.

And I used to nuke an afternoon cup. They seemed to have a different taste nuking to warm up as opposed to fresh. I much prefer the Keurig for one single afternnon cup.

crazy coffee prices! i will very likely soon be priced right out of the k cup market altogether... on ebay, where i used to get a case of 108 emeril's big easy blend coffee k cups for 37 cents each, people are now paying 75 cents and up to a dollar plus.

in the meanwhile, waiting for san francisco fog chaser to arrive in january. my biggest concern is that it will be too thin, not full-bodied enough for my pampered keurig coffee palate.

so pf, i did manage to strike a pretty good bargain (in today's coffee market) with an ebay seller, for the extra bold sumatran reserve coffee blend, at 48 cents per k cup.

i expect i'll like the sumatra, from your ringing endorsement. but actually, i'm not very strict or critical in my keurig coffee ratings. for instance, i like newman's own just fine. and i wasn't even dissuaded from drinking tully's italian roast coffee after all that scat talk about it today in the threads. matter-of-fact, i'm having a mug of the tully's right now....:)

I got one of those Emeril big easy blends in my sampler pack. I haven't tried it yet.

crazy coffee prices! i will very likely soon be priced right out of the k cup market altogether... on ebay, where i used to get a case of 108 emeril's big easy blend coffee k cups for 37 cents each, people are now paying 75 cents and up to a dollar plus.

in the meanwhile, waiting for san francisco fog chaser to arrive in january. my biggest concern is that it will be too thin, not full-bodied enough for my pampered keurig coffee palate.

so pf, i did manage to strike a pretty good bargain (in today's coffee market) with an ebay seller, for the extra bold sumatran reserve coffee blend, at 48 cents per k cup.

i expect i'll like the sumatra, from your ringing endorsement. but actually, i'm not very strict or critical in my keurig coffee ratings. for instance, i like newman's own just fine. and i wasn't even dissuaded from drinking tully's italian roast coffee after all that scat talk about it today in the threads. matter-of-fact, i'm having a mug of the tully's right now....:)

I'm glad my lack of quick response did not lose you the bid.:)

I usually use the 10 ounce brew on my extra bolds, they are perfect for me. Shrek uses the 12 ounce.

I got one of those Emeril big easy blends in my sampler pack. I haven't tried it yet.

I'm glad you are enjoying your Keurig! Wal-mart carries the 18 cup boxes for $9.98 to 10.98. Nice way to try out new blends. THEN I order from the coffee club. I do have an outlet for coffees we don't think are great, I take them to work and put them out for those that would like a cup. I have several people who come by daily.

Times change, things change. SO and I are now considering a one cup coffee maker. After reading this and a couple of other threads on where to get coffee, I'm floundering is a sea of information.

So, one step at a time.

Fred, I see you bought a commercial model (#145). Are you happy with that/are there any issues? Do you know if there are still issues with the Platinum series?

We use mugs that hold about 10 ounces of coffee (before cream). Do we need different K-Cups pr do we do 2 K-Cups to fill a mug?

I love my machine. No problems at all. I just wish it held more water, but then it would take longer to fill the reservoir, so I guess it's a trade-off.
I used to run 2-6 oz cups through one K-cup and it tasted fine, but now I run the machine on the 10 oz setting and use a fresh K-cup every time. That allows me to put a little milk in my cup, run the cycle and carry it without spilling over the edge.
I found I could not get a decent cup using a refillable K-cup and my usual Folgers or Maxwell House. The taste just wasn't there. I should probably upgrade coffee sometime and do another comparison.

I'm glad I got the Keurig. And if I feel like one cup in the afternoon it's always fresh.
Go for it.

gee andy, you sound reluctant/resigned rather than eager/enthusiastic at the prospect of 'going keurig'. trust me on this one thing. as a keurig owner, you will fall in love with your keurig coffeemaker in at least ten different ways you never even knew existed before.

my keurig elite (b60) is similar to pac's #145. i like it almost as much as the platinum (b70) which died out on me after about 1 1/2 years. the elite is a bit noisier, but i have come to rather enjoy the little coffee making sounds it makes....

I'm happy with my current coffeemaker. SO is now drinking decaf or part decaf so this means brewing two pots of coffee. So a one-cup seems to make sense.

The proliferation of Keurig models is confusing. Not sure why they need so many. I also like the Cuisinart SS700 but that's more expensive.

I tried a Keurig in a hotel. I wasn't impressed. I prefer the coffee I get out of my espresso maker. We don't usually drink regular espresso. We make "allongé", which means we make espresso and then "elongate" it with hot water (we start the kettle when we start the espresso maker). We sometimes have café au lait or cappuccino.

...I used to run 2-6 oz cups through one K-cup and it tasted fine, but now I run the machine on the 10 oz setting and use a fresh K-cup every time. That allows me to put a little milk in my cup, run the cycle and carry it without spilling over the edge...

If I understand correctly, you use the same K-Cup for a 6 ounce or 10 ounce cup. Assuming the 6 ounce cup is normal strength, doesn't that make the 10 ounce cup pretty weak?

If you use the thingy that you fill with your own coffee, is there room enough to add extra coffee so a 10 ounce cup will be stronger?

andy, have you already decided whose coffee the new one cup coffeemaker is to be used for--yours or your so's decaf?

I don't have the room for or interest in keeping two coffee makers on my limited kitchen counter space. We both will use the same coffee maker.

Apparently it's all academic. SO just called to check in. When I told her I have been researching Keurigs at her request she confessed she had already bought one. She wants us to check out the model she got and we can exchange it if necessary. All I know is it's a Platinum Series.

Apparently it's all academic. SO just called to check in. When I told her I have been researching Keurigs at her request she confessed she had already bought one. She wants us to check out the model she got and we can exchange it if necessary. All I know is it's a Platinum Series.

Oh then you don't want my nickles worth of advice then?

So what I have is a Mr. Coffee 4 cup maker. Oddly it only really makes one cup at a time. I also have a 24oz cup. :mrgreen:

Oh then you don't want my nickles worth of advice then?

So what I have is a Mr. Coffee 4 cup maker. Oddly it only really makes one cup at a time. I also have a 24oz cup. :mrgreen:

So that's actually about two mugs of coffee. Seems to tie in with most coffee makers. If it says it's a 12 cup you get 6 mugs.

I have some reservations with the Keurig. I read a lot of durability complaints and am concerned about getting a strong enough mug of coffee without using two K-Cups.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom