Help with coffee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the strength of your coffee is going to depend on the coffee k cups you choose to use in your keurig machine.

My concern revolves around the variable cup size feature. You can set it to brew anywhere from 4 oz to 10 oz cups using one k-cup. Clearly the smaller 4 oz cup will be stronger than the 10 oz regardless of the coffee you choose.

So that's actually about two mugs of coffee. Seems to tie in with most coffee makers. If it says it's a 12 cup you get 6 mugs.

I have some reservations with the Keurig. I read a lot of durability complaints and am concerned about getting a strong enough mug of coffee without using two K-Cups.

Yeah, somehow 5oz is a "cup" of coffee. Feh.

I chose this one because it was:

1) Cheap. (Under $20)
2) 20 oz of coffee (though I cheat and get an extra oz or so.
3) It all fits in my cup so there is no waste.
4) I can use good coffee without hassling with that silly k-cup things for good coffee.
5) It has a timer so I have coffee waiting for me in the morning.

The cost per cup out of those k-cups is insane. I buy good coffee, it runs about $14/lb for the blend and I drink coffee about 2 to 2.5 weeks on that. Daily (or more).

I know a lot of people are happy with those machines but they don't really make sense once you do some math. And I haven't seen one with a timer.

Good luck with yours.

My concern revolves around the variable cup size feature. You can set it to brew anywhere from 4 oz to 10 oz cups using one k-cup. Clearly the smaller 4 oz cup will be stronger than the 10 oz regardless of the coffee you choose.

Yes that's true. It's a one size fits all. If you are making the large cup size once or running it twice through one K-cup you would want to use a bold flavor or it will taste weak, but maybe some people prefer a weak cup.
Like I said, I used to run 2-6 oz cups through one, but I prefer 1-10 oz cup now. I've dialed it in. And some flavors lend themselves better to making larger amounts using one K-cup. You will need to play around with it for a while.

i like my coffee strong and black. through trial and error, but mainly from product descriptions on keuring brand k cup cartons, i soon found and eliminated the wimpy, light roasts, etc., which weren't for me. any of the remaining 'bold' marked brands are virtually guaranteed to brew a full-bodied, robust 10oz mug of brew using one k cup. you probably won't be aware of any effects of dilution until you go to brew 12, 14oz+, with that one k cup. anything under 10ozs., and you start getting an espresso-like effect.

i have been hooked on sanfran. fog chaser k cups for about 5 months. this is such a potent coffee blend that i can make a 12oz. mug with one k cup. it is actually overly strong when i do the straight 10oz. sf fog chaser also costs about 1/3 less than keurig brands. if you are starbucks fan, keurig has it in a variety of blends. very pricey and no better than my sf coffee, imo, not as good.

Last edited:
What about using the refillable cups with your own coffee? Is there extra room so you can add extra coffee?

There's extra room, Andy. I think they recommend filling them about 2/3, 3/4 or something like that. That is to allow for them filling up a little before seeping. In other words, there's extra room, but it's there for a reason.
Also, the size of the grind will affect using them, too.

Yeah, somehow 5oz is a "cup" of coffee. Feh.

I chose this one because it was:

1) Cheap. (Under $20)
2) 20 oz of coffee (though I cheat and get an extra oz or so.
3) It all fits in my cup so there is no waste.
4) I can use good coffee without hassling with that silly k-cup things for good coffee.
5) It has a timer so I have coffee waiting for me in the morning.

The cost per cup out of those k-cups is insane. I buy good coffee, it runs about $14/lb for the blend and I drink coffee about 2 to 2.5 weeks on that. Daily (or more).

I know a lot of people are happy with those machines but they don't really make sense once you do some math. And I haven't seen one with a timer.

Good luck with yours.

At this point I am with you in the too cheap to change camp.

If a timer is important you can plug a lamp timer into the outlet and then plug the coffee maker into that. It is kind of a Rube Goldberg contraption but it appeals to my frugal nature and it works fine. I use that method with an old electric percolator that makes great coffee.

I stumbled upon a coffee maker about 4 years ago and love it.

p118306z.jpg

Coffee Makers - Coffee Maker, Optimal Brew

It will make anywhere from 2 cups to 10 cups by their measurements. Actual would be their 2 cups = 10 oz.

I make a full pot and use 3 scoops of coffee and my scoop is 1/8 cup.

The reason I love this one is 4 fold.

The water reservoir is on the left side and lifts out without having to move the entire machine around.

The grounds holder is on the right and slides out without having to move the machine around.

The coffee goes directly into a thermal pot so it will not continue to cook and turn "muddy".

It has a built in "clean me" alarm that gives you 2 full pots warning that it is time to clean the machine.

It also has the timer some of you are looking for.

Oh .. and the grounds holder also has a place for a filter that filters out bad water flavors and etc for any who use tap water.

It's fast, makes consistently good hot coffee, super simple to use and really doesn't take up much space at all.

When this one dies - which they all do - I will replace with another of the same model .. it's the best one I've ever had.

I stumbled upon a coffee maker about 4 years ago and love it.

p118306z.jpg

Coffee Makers - Coffee Maker, Optimal Brew

It will make anywhere from 2 cups to 10 cups by their measurements. Actual would be their 2 cups = 10 oz.

I make a full pot and use 3 scoops of coffee and my scoop is 1/8 cup.

The reason I love this one is 4 fold.

The water reservoir is on the left side and lifts out without having to move the entire machine around.

The grounds holder is on the right and slides out without having to move the machine around.

The coffee goes directly into a thermal pot so it will not continue to cook and turn "muddy".

It has a built in "clean me" alarm that gives you 2 full pots warning that it is time to clean the machine.

It also has the timer some of you are looking for.

Oh .. and the grounds holder also has a place for a filter that filters out bad water flavors and etc for any who use tap water.

It's fast, makes consistently good hot coffee, super simple to use and really doesn't take up much space at all.

When this one dies - which they all do - I will replace with another of the same model .. it's the best one I've ever had.

i like the looks of your coffeemaker, mrslmb. it has sleek, modern lines.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andy, those K-cups marked "Extra Bold"are the coffees measured for the 10-12 ounce sized mugs. After that you check the roast: light, medium or dark.

I know there is a thread somewhere with a post I made where I sacrificed a regular and an "Extra Bold" to find out how much coffee was in each. You are supposed to use an espresso grind when you use the refillable cups.

If you want and you ask real nice I will sacrifice a couple K-Cups again...

Andy, those K-cups marked "Extra Bold"are the coffees measured for the 10-12 ounce sized mugs. After that you check the roast: light, medium or dark.

I know there is a thread somewhere with a post I made where I sacrificed a regular and an "Extra Bold" to find out how much coffee was in each. You are supposed to use an espresso grind when you use the refillable cups.

If you want and you ask real nice I will sacrifice a couple K-Cups again...

There were different amounts of coffee in the cups? From memory, was it double?

There were different amounts of coffee in the cups? From memory, was it double?

No memory, that's why I offered to do another sacrifice.

Espresso grind because it exposes more coffee surfaces to the fast hot water stream.

I can do this experiment tomorrow...right now it's bedtime if I want to wake up in time for work in the morning. Happy to do it, I have some of my own refillables and can put the coffee in those.

If I can make a strange suggestion? Don't know your coffee drinking pattern (you're both home, you're home and SO out all day, etc) but in our house we use a thermos. Happens if I'm in the mood for flavored coffee or one of us is ready for coffee, the other won't be drinking it for hours. We use either a 16 or 20 oz (don't remember which) lunchbox type, or a 1 quart+ thermal pitcher. Whoever is going to nurse cup after cup could brew up the thermos coffee to keep it warm without becoming bitter, the other then brews what they want. I know it doesn't solve the "two pots" dilemma but it is cheaper and you already know how to brew to strength for your cups. As a bonus, whenever we're out for the day we fill our travel mugs and then fill the pint+thermos and go!

Neighbors absolutely loved their Keurig when they first got it a year or so ago. Loved the fact they could each have a different variety cup after cup after cup. After a year they still loved the convenience and variety but were getting really tired of the cost per cup. Just a little food for thought to go with your brew. ;)

Finally, I've loved my Cuisinart makers. Over the past dozen years or so we've gone through three. They're warrantied for 3 years. Top snaps off the pot? My fault when trying to cram it into the dishwasher, but when I called to tell them it snapped off they didn't ask how. ;) Shipped the part fast and free. Same with any other little issue I've had, not that there have been many. The first two were Grind-and-Brew styles and they had a few recurring issues. This one is their Brew Station that has a coffeemaker and hot water reservoir for tea, etc. LOVE IT! Not one problem in nearly 3 years (I've jinxed myself, haven't I :ermm: ).

I have the same coffee maker Mrs. LMB it replaced our Cuisinart that lasted about a year before burning up (literally).

My main complaint with the Keurig coffee I have been served, is that I don't find it hot enough. Perhaps there is a way to change the temp?

Somebunny, didn't you call Cuisinart? They would have replaced the unit for you!

Ah CG, we looked high and low for our receipt, thought we bought it at Costco but couldn't remember. DH thought we had owned it too long to return. I spent some tone on the Cuisinart forums, where other folks said they got no where with similar problems, so just decided to let it go. We are happy with our Mr. Coffee :)

I have the same coffee maker Mrs. LMB it replaced our Cuisinart that lasted about a year before burning up (literally).

My main complaint with the Keurig coffee I have been served, is that I don't find it hot enough. Perhaps there is a way to change the temp?

not hot enough? tell me you're kidding, please, somebun! the problem i had
with my keurig coffee was that it was tongue-burning hot. here i was, finally able to brew a mug of coffee in less than one minute, but then had to wait five minutes before i could begin to drink it!!:ohmy: i don't add cream or sugar, so no help there, either...my solution? don't shoot me--i found a coffee blend so strong that it could withstand my adding a couple of ounces cold water without disturbing its bold, robust flavor....:)

Last edited:
My Keurig has a temperature adjustment thingy. It says "brew temp". Mine is set for 192, which is considered optimal, but you can adjust it.

Back
Top Bottom