"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 02-09-2012, 09:45 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I just remembered I can have my ginger tea now that I am done with one medication. I love Ginger tea, great for anti-imfammatory action. It will help me with my arthritis, I also can use my chili teas again.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:25 AM   #12
Master Chef

I like parsley tea with lemon, parsley has a great deal of health benefits.
I drink aniseed tea with lemon and honey for indigestion and it's really tasty too!
Celery seed tea for water retention, ginger tea for nausea, mint tea when I feel bloated or have a tummy ache, celery leaf tea for water retention and for the taste, cayenne pepper tea for cholesterol and heart problems, strawberry leaf tea for female troubles and taste, lemon verbena for taste or just a mix of herbs. Herbal tea is also great with a bit of honey, lemon and chilled for summer days :)

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Is the cayenne pepper tea a mixture you make up yourself, Snip? If so, how do you make it?

I've got a huge bottle of cayenne. It's one of the spices recommended for high blood pressure.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:20 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Tasty tea turns out: hawthorn (flower),wild strawberry (young leaves), Currant black (leaves). From those that lower a blood pressure.
And in general for treatment or normalization of a condition it is better to use concrete grassy gathering.
But they not the tasty as a rule.
Gathering by itself needs to be selected according to specific features.
If the raised blood pressure is a consequence infringement of work of kidneys - one, if heart - another, vascular - the third and so on...
Old 02-11-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
Is the cayenne pepper tea a mixture you make up yourself, Snip? If so, how do you make it?

I've got a huge bottle of cayenne. It's one of the spices recommended for high blood pressure.
I started drinking cayenne tea for weight loss a few years ago but discovered that drinking a cup a day lowered my cholesterol from 9.3 to 6.1. I drink 1 tsp of cayenne powder and a good dash of lemon juice in a cup of boiling water in the morning. You can start with 1/4 of a tsp since it's really hot if you're not used to it. Cayenne is great in all tomato based sauces and in tomato juice or gazpacho. I like the taste so even though I don't need to lose weight I still drink it :) It's great in dry rubs for meat and chicken too!

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks for the reminder, Snip. I tried one yesterday and survived, but haven't yet today. I need to get a habit started.

For some heat in cooking, I like the taste of cayenne and/or a pinch of red pepper flakes over all the others.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I've gotten into the cayenne habit. It was a lot easier when I found out I only needed 4 oz. of warm water and as little as 1/4 tsp. of cayenne. It's only been a few days, but the heat is barely there, and 4 oz. is easy to drink right down.

Research has turned up another blood pressure remedy - Hawthorne berry supplements. One reference referred to getting 100 tablets for $5 at Walmart, so I've added that to tomorrow shopping list.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:32 AM   #18
Everymom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhizara View Post
I've gotten into the cayenne habit. It was a lot easier when I found out I only needed 4 oz. of warm water and as little as 1/4 tsp. of cayenne. It's only been a few days, but the heat is barely there, and 4 oz. is easy to drink right down.

Research has turned up another blood pressure remedy - Hawthorne berry supplements. One reference referred to getting 100 tablets for $5 at Walmart, so I've added that to tomorrow shopping list.
Well I bet the cedar waxwings in my neighborhood have really LOW BP then. They clean off my tree every winter. Want me to bag some up and send them to you?
Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

At $5.48/100 capsules, it probably wouldn't be worth the postage!

I found the capsules today at the above price. I'll try them and report any noticeable effects.

I did wonder, since you do have the natural ones - do they taste good?

Old 02-16-2012, 05:47 PM   #20
Everymom

I thought they were inedible as they have little barbs inside them. I never thought of making tea with them. I will give it a go though. Likely not this year as they are pretty withered and frostbitten. In the late summer I'll pick them and try it out. Remind me!