"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 09-01-2010, 12:44 PM   #11
Flour Child

Thank you for that info, Princess (and selkie and hoot too and all)...very interesting

I think they use liquid nitrogen to make the fog you see in stage productions for entertainment. They don't use dry ice as that only fogs when combined with a hot liquid and only last 10-15 minutes until the liquid cools off...it continues to bubble but significantly less. I believe I read that somewhere.

I was thinking there might be a little liquid nitrogen as part of the make-up of dry ice to aid it's fogging longevity. If there isn't then maybe there should be? I might be onto something...but then dry ice wouldn't be food-grade anymore.

I remember little bits and pieces of what I read...a little knowledge is a dangerous thing they say

But then again, I like what Kahlil Gibran said, "A little knowledge that acts is worth infinitely more than much knowledge that is idle".

Just whatever you do...keep me outta the science lab!!

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:28 PM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyanne View Post
Just whatever you do...keep me outta the science lab!! .
Dad ran the Chemistry stockroom at the Univ of Wyoming for years. I learned all sorts of fun things NOT to do unless supervised by responsible adults. Since I am not one I only get to play with my food.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Thank you for that info, Princess (and selkie and hoot too and all)...very interesting

I think they use liquid nitrogen to make the fog you see in stage productions for entertainment. They don't use dry ice as that only fogs when combined with a hot liquid and only last 10-15 minutes until the liquid cools off...it continues to bubble but significantly less. I believe I read that somewhere.

I was thinking there might be a little liquid nitrogen as part of the make-up of dry ice to aid it's fogging longevity. If there isn't then maybe there should be? I might be onto something...but then dry ice wouldn't be food-grade anymore. .
As far as I know liquid nitrogen was and is not used in greating fog for theatrical producitons.

Yes, orignially it was dry ice that was used. You lowered the ice into a barrel that had heated water and a blower attached. The blower moved the fog through a tube to the stage. Still one of the best effects as it "hugs" the stage more.

Later they developed and used oil-dipsersion foggers to create the effect.

Then chemical foggers were used but last I knew there were problems with those and the effects the fog had when inhaled.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:28 PM   #14
Flour Child

I was just watching "Foodography" on the Cooking Channel and there was a whole segment about the use of Liquid Nitrogen being poured into blenders to make instant Ice Cream from Ideas In Food.com. The Fat Duck restaurant also uses Liquid Nitrogen when making Ice Cream at the diner's tables. They pour it from an insulated pitcher. Here is a video of the Foodography segment I watched. You can also google "liquid nitrogen Fat Duck" and see more.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 12:41 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I was thinking 'Uh-ohh, fog in a cup here!'
Old 09-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
I was just watching "Foodography" on the Cooking Channel and there was a whole segment about the use of Liquid Nitrogen being poured into blenders to make instant Ice Cream from Ideas In Food.com. The Fat Duck restaurant also uses Liquid Nitrogen when making Ice Cream at the diner's tables. They pour it from an insulated pitcher. Here is a video of the Foodography segment I watched. You can also google "liquid nitrogen Fat Duck" and see more..
Makes me wonder how many litters of kittens OSHA had over this