"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 02-12-2008, 08:48 PM   #21
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaheen View Post
I like mine with a dollop of nutella mix into it and topped with a generous amount of whipped cream, and sometimes with a caramel syrup. But mostly the first option
OH MY GOSH!!!! I'll bet they serve this in Heaven!!!!

Barbara

Old 02-12-2008, 11:01 PM   #22
Assistant Cook

Hershey's cocoa powder and sugar, add just enough hot milk to melt the chocolate, then add the remaining hot milk and stir. Top with real whipped cream.

http://www.winzy.com/sthnbelle

gawillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I like marshmallows in hot chocolate, but I LOVE whipped cream in it.

Barbara
I'm with you Barbara. Everything is better with whipped cream!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:52 AM   #24
Head Chef

Oh gosh, that nutella combo is brilliant...I'm going to try it soon. Since we moved south of the border, I use Abuelita (made by Nestle, but what isn't?). It is a round disc of sweetened chocolate that you break up and melt in milk. There is is special wooden kitchen tool called a mollilo that you are supposed to whisk it with, but I don't have one, so I just use a whisk. Very very good and rich. "Abuelita" means "little grandmother". I think it is sold pretty widely in the US - look in the Mexican food section at your grocery. Hexagonal box, yellow and red, with a happy little granny on it....
Old 02-13-2008, 12:55 AM   #25
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
Oh gosh, that nutella combo is brilliant...I'm going to try it soon. Since we moved south of the border, I use Abuelita (made by Nestle, but what isn't?). It is a round disc of sweetened chocolate that you break up and melt in milk. There is is special wooden kitchen tool called a mollilo that you are supposed to whisk it with, but I don't have one, so I just use a whisk. Very very good and rich. "Abuelita" means "little grandmother". I think it is sold pretty widely in the US - look in the Mexican food section at your grocery. Hexagonal box, yellow and red, with a happy little granny on it....
Ooooh, Karen, I love Mexican Hot Chocolate. Abuelita is available at every store here and it's what I use for hot chocolate, too. So yummy. I think it has cinnamon in it.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:25 AM   #26
Assistant Cook

I like a heaping teaspoonful of Dean's Beans organic fair trade cocoa and a pinch of sugar. Heat water and when it gets to stage where it's close to boiling I add a little to the cup and make a thick slurry to mix the cocoa in. Then top with water being sure to leave some room. I then add a splash of half and half just as you would to coffee. Usually that is followed by a splash of Kaluha and crowned with a dollop of whipped cream. What a great treat and not full of artificial crap like the packets which I used to drink.

BTW, Dean is a real good guy and local roaster with excellent coffee and cocoa products. He is one of the founders of the Fair Trade movement. Can't say enough good about his stuff, some of the best coffee I've had.
Old 06-02-2008, 02:21 PM   #27
Cook

Mine is very simple. I take good quaility chocolate, like Varlhona if you know the brand.

I put a pan on the fire with milk to warm up. I break the chocolate in pieces and add them to the milk, stirring all the time so it melts completely. I vary the amount of chocolate ...for example my husband likes it very very thick...I do not like it like that, so I make it thick and then add more milk for me.

Eventually a bit of brandy adds a nice flavour as well.

And whipped milk on top....
Old 06-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #28
Head Chef

Ghirardelli hot chocolate mix. Make as instructed on the can.
Add a dash of cinnamon and a dash of red pepper(if you want a little kick).
Old 10-20-2008, 06:30 PM   #29
Assistant Cook

All this discussion makes me want hot chocolate now! It was quite cool outside today so it feels right to have hot choco. I just boil some water in a kettle and pour it in a cup with a store bought hot chocolate mix hehe! I do have some cocoa powder stashed up though so I should try making it like Alix.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:34 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

I fill my mug with milk. Pop it into the microwave. Take it out and add a couple teaspoons of cocoa powder and some stevia. Done! simple and delicious.