How Do You Make Your Hot Chocolate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PA Baker

Master Chef
It's SO cold and blustery here today and all I can think of to warm up a bit is a good cup of hot chocolate. It got me to thinking of all of the different ways to make basic hot cocoa and all of the great things you can do to add variations.

So....how do you like your hot chocolate?

At home, usually since time's of essence, I like to heat some milk (either stove or microwave) and add in some chocolate syrup or Ovaltine. If I have time though, I love to slowly heat a few squares of chocolate into milk on the stove and add a good splash of vanilla and a pinch of cinnamon.

I do it the old fashioned way I guess. One heaping spoonful of cocoa and one of sugar in a big mug, add just enough milk to make it a paste. Then I heat the milk on the stove (or in the microwave in a measuring cup) and pour it into the cup. Stir, top with whipped cream if we have it and chug!

Melted bittersweet chocolate in a double boiler, milk, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla. If in the mood...a splash of Grande Marnier. But of course...I always share with my lovely lady!

Cheers!

Marko
Livingston Cooks

LOL... I tear open a little packet and add some water and Pepperment schnapps.

Hot water and/or milk
Some good cocoa mix (Not sure which we have right now, but it isn't Kroger brand ;) )
A healthy shot of one of the following:
Bushmills
Bourbon (Oh, and don't worry Uncle Bob, this is what the Jim Beam is for!)
Butterscoth schnapps
Peppermint schnapps
Kahlua
Bailey's
Van Gough Espresso Vodka
Frangelico
Anything else that sounds interesting at the time

:mrgreen:

John

Last edited:
another one who adds hot milk to the powder from a packet.

with 3 marshmallows, no more, no less.

(anyone watch "oswald"?)

I make it the old fashioned way too, make a paste of cocoa, sugar, a bit of milk, then add the rest of the milk. I use the recipe on a geriatric can of hersey's cocoa, but I use the good stuff from Penzey's:). I use the recipe to make one quart, but I add 5 to 6 cups of milk instead of 4 cups.

ouuuu I like the grand marnier, etc, ideas;)

yep, hot cocoa weather here today too. I presently am sending anti birthing vibrations to a goat who is due to kid today. So far, so good. If she will just wait until tomorrow, it will be so much warmer. And then in a week, I can make some really good hot chocolate;)

Back in the old days - when I drank lots o' cawfee (bzzz bzzz), I would add half a cup of hot chocolate to half a cup of cawfee. Now it's hot choc with mini marshmallows floating on top - or whipped cream sprinkled with cocoa powder or nutmeg. Go easy on the vanilla. If you really want a treat, try making a Hot Chocolate Souffle - or on the cooler side - Serendipity's Frrrrozen Hot Chocolate.

Last edited:
another one who adds hot milk to the powder from a packet.

with 3 marshmallows, no more, no less.

(anyone watch "oswald"?)
But of course, 3 marshmallows, no more no less:LOL: We love Oswald! Oh to keep on track here..I love it like Alix makes it, but, I can't handle the milk so I use the packets and water and pretend it's the real thing:ermm:
kades

Last edited:
Sometimes I use the packs, but I add milk. Most of the time I use milk and chocolate syrup - whipped cream to dgs - nothing in mine. He uses his own special cup and saucer - a demitasse set and has been doing that since he was 2.

I'm in the Alix camp, with added yummies. Bourbon, etc.

This thread reminded me of a funny experience I had while traveling in Europe a long time ago.

Many of the places in which I stayed offered a free breakfast. All I had to do was to check the boxes (on the menu) of the items I desired and hang the menu on my door before I went to bed.

At the inn in Andorra, in the "other" beverage section, I checked "hot chocolate" on my breakfast menu. Simple enough, right.

Guess so. What I got was...just that. A cup of hot, melted chocolate. Hey, it was GOOD. What a tasty misunderstanding!!!!!

I suppose we make it a few different ways here-
for the kids morning hot chocolate, we squeeze some hershey's special dark syrup into some milk and warm it up in the microwave.
for camping, we use what we call "camping hot chocolate" - the powder and add water. We have it ever morning and evening when we are camping.
I grew up on Ibarra or Abuelita's mexican hot chocolate. Grate it and cook it on the stove with milk. I still love it!
I love hot chocolate made from melted chocolate but have not perfected it. There is a place here that make the best hc. We only go there for the hc because the food is nothing spectacular.

Yum, now I want some.

p.s. (and off topic)-
Andora, Katie? I've been there. I loved that tiny country. I only wish we had spent more time there.

I just noticed this thread. I prefer the old fashioned way, with real cocoa, sugar, milk--like Alix described, but usually have the packets around. There is a brand of flavorings that is really popular around here, called Happy Home. Some of their flavorings are really good in hot chocolate. My favorites are black walnut, almond, and butter & nut. I remember, years ago, stirring a big spoonful of strawberry preserves into my hot chocolate.

I like marshmallows in hot chocolate, but I LOVE whipped cream in it. :cool:

:)Barbara

I didn't know this thread was here, I had started one last night . I'm in PA. too. I like Ghiadelli Square cocoa powder, heat the milk , add sugar and vanilla syrup and cocoa. I like vanilla syrup better than the extract.

I like mine with a dollop of nutella mix into it and topped with a generous amount of whipped cream, and sometimes with a caramel syrup. But mostly the first option :D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom