Instant coffee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I guess she means standard brand of american coffee...
I don't think there is any such thing...
When people say "American coffee", I figure they're thinking we all like ours brewed like the first pot:

657e89b68d7c323b8f2b00e84a9f3918.jpg

I think people who don't live in the U.S. don't know how many craft coffee roasting businesses there are. Over the last half-dozen years, we have made it a point while on vacation to search out one or two small cafes that do their own bean roasting. Some buy from large whole-sellers, while others develop personal relationships with the growers. No matter where they get the beans, we've found the roasters each put their own spin on the results.

I haven't bought a major brand of coffee in ages. We had been getting our coffee mail-ordered from Green Mountain since we moved here, and did for around a decade. Then they turned into "Greed" Mountain, made the strong push towards Keurig pods, and lost me. Since then we've gotten mail order from a small roaster about 100 miles from where we live, Dean's Beans, but will buy something more local on occasion, or a boutique roaster from VT called "Vermont Coffee Company" that has 1# bags in the local grocery store. Good stuff.

And if you want stinkbugs........just bring home a freshly cut Christmas tree from a Texas prairie........apparently they hibernate during the winter (in TX) and we proud pioneers brought ours indoors, set in the stand with water, and decorated it.........next morning it was vibrating with stinkbugs that had come out from their winter slumber.........the tree was literally moving with them......horror story!!!!! And those babies are not slow movers!

I don't drink instant coffee. I'm not a coffee snob but I like my coffee strong enough to stand up without the cup and instant is plain nasty that strong.

I buy Taylors of Harrogate coffee in several varieties. They sell it as ground and as beans. They also own the Bettys Tea Rooms in Yorkshire.

If any of your ancestors were "Fly Boys" in WWII and stationed in England near York they may have signed the Mirror in Bettys Tearooms -

"The St Helen's Square café in York was inspired by the magnificent RMS Queen Mary cruise liner and became particularly popular during World War II when the basement ‘Bettys Bar’ became a favourite with hundreds of American and Canadian ‘Bomber Boys’ who were stationed around York. ‘Bettys Mirror’, on which many of them engraved their signatures with a diamond pen, remains on display at the branch today."

When people say "American coffee", I figure they're thinking we all like ours brewed like the first pot:

657e89b68d7c323b8f2b00e84a9f3918.jpg

I think people who don't live in the U.S. don't know how many craft coffee roasting businesses there are. Over the last half-dozen years, we have made it a point while on vacation to search out one or two small cafes that do their own bean roasting. Some buy from large whole-sellers, while others develop personal relationships with the growers. No matter where they get the beans, we've found the roasters each put their own spin on the results.

I haven't bought a major brand of coffee in ages. We had been getting our coffee mail-ordered from Green Mountain since we moved here, and did for around a decade. Then they turned into "Greed" Mountain, made the strong push towards Keurig pods, and lost me. Since then we've gotten mail order from a small roaster about 100 miles from where we live, Dean's Beans, but will buy something more local on occasion, or a boutique roaster from VT called "Vermont Coffee Company" that has 1# bags in the local grocery store. Good stuff.

I can't see the point of pods. How do you brew the coffee to your taste if the manufacturers only allow you their choice in the matter.

I love buying my coffee beans from Fairway when they're roasting the beans. Smells like heaven.

I can't see the point of pods. How do you brew the coffee to your taste if the manufacturers only allow you their choice in the matter.

The manufacturers sell pods with different strengths and flavors. Some people like that, as well as the convenience. I'm put off by the waste, so I have no interest in it.

Metal pods are banned in some countries due to the mass amount of waste they produce, in the Netherlands they use paper pods instead, their system for one cup is so much tastier then the metal pod system.

You could use pod that is made for multi use, what ever it is called. My English is not working today sorry, then you can add whatever coffee you like and as much as you like.

You could use pod that is made for multi use, what ever it is called. My English is not working today sorry, then you can add whatever coffee you like and as much as you like.

I agree, Charlie. (BTW, your English is working just fine.). My Keurig came with a reusable, refillable pod. You can also buy them separately.

`i agree, Charlie.........btw my new son in law is named Charlie, too----great name! What `i like about the refillable pod is you can make it as strong as you like.........and `i like my brew strong............

I can't see the point of pods...
Personally, neither can I. We don't own a single-brew coffee machine. We do have a vintage single-brew coffee cone that Himself has had since his college days...which began in summer of 1965. Still works like the first time! Who needs a pod machine? ;)

Metal pods are banned in some countries due to the mass amount of waste they produce, in the Netherlands they use paper pods instead, their system for one cup is so much tastier then the metal pod system.
It turns out that the inventor of the K-cup, John Sylvan, is sorry he ever invented the system due to its cost, wastefulness, and the recycling issues. Keurig says it will have the pods completely recyclable by 2020, but Dean Cycon, founder and owner of Dean's Beans, has had a completely compostable pod for a few years.

You must not be referring to Nespresso when you say the pods are paper. The Nespresso pods are aluminum and, apparently, have a few hoops for people to jump through to get them recycled.

Nope, the dutch have a system of paper "pads", nespresso is well know for it aluminium pods and few other brands has them too in Europe.

Oh, thanks, CP. We still brew coffee the old way: grind the beans, measure the grounds and water, wait for the pot to finish brewing. We drink too much coffee to be using pods!

Well we go through a 500 gram pre ground coffee per week on one person and sometimes more.

Well where I come from inn Sweden, if any one comes inside your door, you offer them coffee as sign of friendship and being welcomed into the house. And you either say yes or no or half cup or tea or water. Because no means I dont want your friendship and politeness and that is rude. Hence alot of coffee is needed sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom