"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 09-25-2016, 06:57 PM   #81
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
I guess she means standard brand of american coffee...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I don't think there is any such thing...
When people say "American coffee", I figure they're thinking we all like ours brewed like the first pot:

I think people who don't live in the U.S. don't know how many craft coffee roasting businesses there are. Over the last half-dozen years, we have made it a point while on vacation to search out one or two small cafes that do their own bean roasting. Some buy from large whole-sellers, while others develop personal relationships with the growers. No matter where they get the beans, we've found the roasters each put their own spin on the results.

I haven't bought a major brand of coffee in ages. We had been getting our coffee mail-ordered from Green Mountain since we moved here, and did for around a decade. Then they turned into "Greed" Mountain, made the strong push towards Keurig pods, and lost me. Since then we've gotten mail order from a small roaster about 100 miles from where we live, Dean's Beans, but will buy something more local on occasion, or a boutique roaster from VT called "Vermont Coffee Company" that has 1# bags in the local grocery store. Good stuff.

Old 09-25-2016, 07:07 PM   #82
Master Chef

I'm a brewin' with you, CG............! :)

Old 09-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #83
Master Chef

And if you want stinkbugs........just bring home a freshly cut Christmas tree from a Texas prairie........apparently they hibernate during the winter (in TX) and we proud pioneers brought ours indoors, set in the stand with water, and decorated it.........next morning it was vibrating with stinkbugs that had come out from their winter slumber.........the tree was literally moving with them......horror story!!!!! And those babies are not slow movers!
Old 09-26-2016, 01:17 PM   #84
Executive Chef

I don't drink instant coffee. I'm not a coffee snob but I like my coffee strong enough to stand up without the cup and instant is plain nasty that strong.

I buy Taylors of Harrogate coffee in several varieties. They sell it as ground and as beans. They also own the Bettys Tea Rooms in Yorkshire.

If any of your ancestors were "Fly Boys" in WWII and stationed in England near York they may have signed the Mirror in Bettys Tearooms -

"The St Helen's Square café in York was inspired by the magnificent RMS Queen Mary cruise liner and became particularly popular during World War II when the basement ‘Bettys Bar’ became a favourite with hundreds of American and Canadian ‘Bomber Boys’ who were stationed around York. ‘Bettys Mirror’, on which many of them engraved their signatures with a diamond pen, remains on display at the branch today."
Old 09-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #85
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
When people say "American coffee", I figure they're thinking we all like ours brewed like the first pot:

I think people who don't live in the U.S. don't know how many craft coffee roasting businesses there are. Over the last half-dozen years, we have made it a point while on vacation to search out one or two small cafes that do their own bean roasting. Some buy from large whole-sellers, while others develop personal relationships with the growers. No matter where they get the beans, we've found the roasters each put their own spin on the results.

I haven't bought a major brand of coffee in ages. We had been getting our coffee mail-ordered from Green Mountain since we moved here, and did for around a decade. Then they turned into "Greed" Mountain, made the strong push towards Keurig pods, and lost me. Since then we've gotten mail order from a small roaster about 100 miles from where we live, Dean's Beans, but will buy something more local on occasion, or a boutique roaster from VT called "Vermont Coffee Company" that has 1# bags in the local grocery store. Good stuff.
I can't see the point of pods. How do you brew the coffee to your taste if the manufacturers only allow you their choice in the matter.
Old 09-26-2016, 01:28 PM   #86
Master Chef

I love buying my coffee beans from Fairway when they're roasting the beans. Smells like heaven.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:19 PM   #87
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I can't see the point of pods. How do you brew the coffee to your taste if the manufacturers only allow you their choice in the matter.
The manufacturers sell pods with different strengths and flavors. Some people like that, as well as the convenience. I'm put off by the waste, so I have no interest in it.
Old 09-26-2016, 02:38 PM   #88
Sous Chef

Metal pods are banned in some countries due to the mass amount of waste they produce, in the Netherlands they use paper pods instead, their system for one cup is so much tastier then the metal pod system.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:04 PM   #89
Master Chef

You could use pod that is made for multi use, what ever it is called. My English is not working today sorry, then you can add whatever coffee you like and as much as you like.
Old 09-26-2016, 03:08 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Instant coffee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
You could use pod that is made for multi use, what ever it is called. My English is not working today sorry, then you can add whatever coffee you like and as much as you like.

I agree, Charlie. (BTW, your English is working just fine.). My Keurig came with a reusable, refillable pod. You can also buy them separately.

« Hot Lemonade | - »