Instant coffee?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hahaha! `i will have to look as of right now `i'm having Starbucks add espresso to my regular coffee or if `i'm being good to the decaf......but `i love strong coffee......what a great hubby, by the way..........can already smell the cookies!

well waking up to cookie smell and all there is is coffee and porridge is slightly disappointing.

We brew, on average, an 8-cup worth pot of coffee from fresh ground beans courtesy of Dean's Beans...and a charge on our credit card. BUT, first thing, I have to wake my taste buds up with tea - a touch of sugar and a pour of "strong milk".* Once I have my cup of tea, life can proceed in this fashion:

68411995.jpg

At this point in my life, I find it easier if I wake up body-part by body-part. No more bouncing out of bed and hitting the ground.

*"strong milk" is what I call my mix of 1/2 2% milk and 1/2 half-and-half. @5 is too wimpy for my tea, half-and-half is *gasp* too creamy.

Between 500- 700 ml tea or coffee is consumed every morning in this house hold, yay for big mugs.

I have a pot of coffee going 24 hours a day. Unfortunately for me, coffee is my only liquid for the day. When I am out and about, you will always find me with "one small light, extra sugar," in my hand. Every so often I get on my tea kick. Black with just a touch of sugar. I like Bigelow's English Tea Time. For coffee, I prefer Folgers. :angel:

I had to as Lady B, she is American living in Sweden about the difference in Swedish coffee and American. I got look of are you kidding me, well she used to have strong American coffee 5 cups a day, she tried the same with Swedish medium roast and she was bouncing and shaking and couldnt sleep. So according to her Swedish coffee is much stronger.

I would argue there's no such thing as "American" coffee. As with so many other things, it's a very large country with several distinct regions that have different preferences between, and even within, themselves.

I don't know what "American" coffee would be.

I guess she means standard brand of american coffee.
I guess you can get Arvid Nordquist and Löfbergs lila and Gevalia in USA to in every store but we cant get Keurig or Flogers unless we had off to a specialty store. I have seen Maxwell House coffee but only up at the UNI.

I guess you can get Arvid Nordquist and Löfbergs lila and Gevalia in USA to in every store but we cant get Keurig or Flogers unless we had off to a specialty store. I have seen Maxwell House coffee but only up at the UNI.

You know, I haven't had Folger's or MW in so long, I completely forgot about them :LOL: We usually get Seattle's Best Signature Blend No. 4, described as Medium-Dark Rich. I was surprised just now to find out that it's produced by Starbucks: America's 7 Best Coffee Brands -- The Motley Fool

We used to buy beans, but neither of us has the patience to grind them every morning. In fact, I rarely make coffee; DH gets up between 5 and 5:30 most days, so he makes it.

We have Keurig and Cuisinart coffeemakers side by side on the counter. SO uses the Keurig with Starbucks House Blend. I usually use the Cuisinart. I grind Starbucks French Roast I buy in bulk at Costco. When I'm lazy or late in the morning I use the Keurig too.

Star bucks, are few and far between, most are in Stockholm and Dunkin Dsonuts, only Stockholm.

We have Keurig and Cuisinart coffeemakers side by side on the counter. SO uses the Keurig with Starbucks House Blend. I usually use the Cuisinart. I grind Starbucks French Roast I buy in bulk at Costco. When I'm lazy or late in the morning I use the Keurig too.

You're like us, Andy.........we have a Keurig and a French Press setting side by side on the table they sat..........one morning we are going to wake up and one is going to be outbrewed........:LOL:

BTW, I stopped drinking instant coffee.
The cowboy method has been working well for me, either by the pot or by the cup.

But I also ordered this recently and have been using it and I like it. It beats using those Melita paper filters and the thing stores flat, and doesn't take up any space.....perfect for backpacking. I ordered a second one for use at work. I might order another one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087SPTLC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

BTW, I stopped drinking instant coffee.
The cowboy method has been working well for me, either by the pot or by the cup.

But I also ordered this recently and have been using it and I like it. It beats using those Melita paper filters and the thing stores flat, and doesn't take up any space.....perfect for backpacking. I ordered a second one for use at work. I might order another one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087SPTLC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Good thing you stopped drinking instant coffee. Ick. lol. Though I did buy a jar of Nescafe once when we stayed at a rustic cabin, and it wasn't horrible.

OT493430S.jpg

No, stink bugs in your food never taste good. Not even when camping, hiking or canoeing. trust me..

I don't think there is any such thing. :ermm:

When I walk into the store I'm confronted with a choice of at least a dozen different brands, if not more. Although Folgers and Maxwell House are still around, I wouldn't say they are standard anymore. I don't think I've bought either brand in over 30 years. :wacko:

I used to buy only Lavazza, an Italian brand. It worked best in my espresso maker due to the fact that the beans weren't overly oily. Since my divorce, I've been using a cheap drip coffee maker, only because I don't have much counter space and it has a very small footprint. I still buy good coffee, though. Lately I've been getting it from Fresh Thyme grocery, where it's normally $6.99 a pound. Kona blend and Jamaican Blue Mountain are my favorite drip brews.

Last edited:
I only use instant coffee for cooking/baking (rubs, mocha brownies etc).

I got a Cuisinart grind and brew coffee maker several years ago. I only buy beans. I go to Fairway market and buy a blend of flavored beans. I love fresh ground brew. I am hoping to get the new version for Christmas this year. It has a hopper that holds a 1/2 pound of beans. You add the water, choose cups and strength it does the rest.

Flogers and the Keurig , was still the most common bought last year, so I guess people who dont care about coffee and just want something black still get that. Yeah I checked that up and I asked her and she said, yeah Folgers and Keurig was the brands she used. Lavazza is good, we can get it here too, but with our water Arvid Nordquist is better.

Back
Top Bottom