Leftover coffee uses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Coffee or Tea molds rather quickly so it must be refrigerated after it has cooled. There are a number of small coffee makers on the market and they look very interesting. With the price of coffee, it would be a good investment. Also some coffee companies offer coffee sold in a personal one cup bag (just like a tea bag). Another alternative is to use instant coffee. It comes in every brew imaginable.

:) You can sprinkle a little coffee grounds around your plants when you water them it will add some nitrogen to the soil.

use used coffee grounds for compost and or mix with soil directly. No other culinary uses for that grit to my knowledge.

pdswife said:
Left over coffe... is that like left over chocolate chip cookies? LOL!!!

It is at my house! When I make it, I drink it. ALL of it. I've been known to make a 10 cup pot on a Saturday morning, drink the entire pot, then take a nap. I must say though, that as I've gotten older, I have reduced the quantity I make on Saturdays to 8 cups, sometimes 6, if I have somewhere I need to be in the morning.

Until my son got married and moved out, I never even knew the meaning of the word "leftover."

Coffee Granita with Bailey's Whipped Cream

4 c hot strong brewed coffee
1 c superfine granulated sugar
1 c chilled heavy cream
4 tsp powdered sugar
4-5 tsp Bailey’s
½ c bittersweet chocolate shavings

Stir together coffee and granulated sugar until sugar is dissolved, then chill until cold.

Pour into an 8”-9” baking pan and freeze, stirring and crushing lumps with a fork every 30 minutes, until evenly frozen, about 4 hours. Then scrape with a fork to lighten the texture.

Beat cream, powdered sugar and Bailey's in a chilled bowl with an electric mixer until it just holds soft peaks. Place a dollop of whipped cream in bottom of a glass, add a scan cup of granita (don't pack it when measuring), then top with more whipped cream and chocolate shavings. This looks really nice in martini glasses.

StirBlue said:
Also some coffee companies offer coffee sold in a personal one cup bag (just like a tea bag).

I have a Krups KP1010 pod style machines at work (I bought it at a going out of business sale for $49.95), and I have calculated that it cost between 24¢ and 30¢ to make a cup of coffee with it, while buying your own beans, grinding them, and making coffe in a drip style coffeemaker will cost you anywhere from 4¢ and 10¢ a cup, depending on the brand of coffee you buy. In fact, I bought several packages of empty pods and a machine that hermetically seals them so I can make my own own coffee pods with the coffee of my choice. This brings the initial cost down to about 18¢ a cup, and even less once the cost of the machine has been amortized.

StirBlue said:
Another alternative is to use instant coffee. It comes in every brew imaginable.

Drinking, or serving, instant coffee is like eating, or serving, Franco-American macaroni & cheese.

Last edited:
There's a recipe for a black devil's food cake that's been in my family since I was a little girl. One of the ingredients is a cup of strong coffee. It's just about the darkest, moistest, chocolateyist (word? Is now.) in the world. I'll look for it and if anyone is interested, I'll post it in the cakes section.

When I was a child my mother put a thick fudge icing on it. Most of the time when I made it for my family, I just sprinkled a little powdered sugar on each piece as I served it. I didn't think it really needed icing.

Katie E said:
There's a recipe for a black devil's food cake that's been in my family since I was a little girl. One of the ingredients is a cup of strong coffee. It's just about the darkest, moistest, chocolateyist (word? Is now.) in the world. I'll look for it and if anyone is interested, I'll post it in the cakes section.

When I was a child my mother put a thick fudge icing on it. Most of the time when I made it for my family, I just sprinkled a little powdered sugar on each piece as I served it. I didn't think it really needed icing.
Katie,
I'd love your family recipe for the chocolate cake. Cade and Ethan adore anything chocolate and the others won't pass it by either..I've been looking for a good chocolate cake to make them..This sounds just the ticket.

kadesma:)

I've found it. One thing I forgot to mention is that it's baked in a 9- x 13-inch pan, so there's no need to make layers, etc. I almost always have several 1-cup containers of leftover brewed coffee in the freezer for an "emergency" chocolate cake attack. :rolleyes:

A cake that size is too big for Buck and me, so I usually bake it in two 8-inch square disposable pans. Freeze one and eat one. Freezes very, very well. I'll go post the recipe. Enjoy!

Caine said:
I have a Krups KP1010 pod style machines at work (I bought it at a going out of business sale for $49.95), and I have calculated that it cost between 24¢ and 30¢ to make a cup of coffee with it, while buying your own beans, grinding them, and making coffe in a drip style coffeemaker will cost you anywhere from 4¢ and 10¢ a cup, depending on the brand of coffee you buy. In fact, I bought several packages of empty pods and a machine that hermetically seals them so I can make my own own coffee pods with the coffee of my choice. This brings the initial cost down to about 18¢ a cup, and even less once the cost of the machine has been amortized.

Drinking, or serving, instant coffee is like eating, or serving, Franco-American macaroni & cheese.

Don't berate my mac & cheese. I'd like to see yours hold up in the bottom of a bait bucket on a fishing boat! Many people have a can of instant flavored coffee that they make for an afternoon refresher.

If your pot holds 10 cups (make the math easy for me) that would be anywhere from $2.40 to $3.00 a pot. (I'm just leaving that as cost because I don't want to price out all the other expenses that you mentioned) If you make one serving with a coffee bag that might cost .50 cents, no expense for left overs. While making a lot might be cost effective if you have many to serve, making a little might be cheaper by the spoonful.

Katie E Want you to know I am waiting for you to post your family chocolate cake. I know I will have one cup of strong coffee ready.

StirBlue said:
If you make one serving with a coffee bag that might cost .50 cents, no expense for left overs. While making a lot might be cost effective if you have many to serve, making a little might be cheaper by the spoonful.

I'm just worried that one of my neighbors drift by my window and see me sitting at my kitchen table with my digital scale measuring, weighing, bagging, and sealing, and get the wrong idea!

Caine said:
I'm just worried that one of my neighbors drift by my window and see me sitting at my kitchen table with my digital scale measuring, weighing, bagging, and sealing, and get the wrong idea!

People in your business have Doberman Pinschers for drifty neighbors. :angel:

Leftover coffee grounds? Why, you put them on your roses in the garden. They love it.
Now left over coffee--it can be used in making "red eye " gravy. Just pour it into the pan that contains the carmelized drippings after you have just cooked up country ham. Then get all the little pieces of drippings loosened from the pan, and spoon the mess over homemade biscuits with country ham slivered on top of it.
Or use some as the liquid in making gingerbread, or rye bread to get a nice color.
Try making some coffee liquer from some leftover coffee that you've boiled down to half.

Leftover coffee grounds? If you have a severe case of ants coming into the house or in undesirable areas of your garden, spread some grounds or surround the plants affected with them. Ants will avoid the area.

I saw something on television the other day . A "helpful hint" kind of thing. Anyway, it says to use leftover cold coffee to stain a piece of furniture.

Left over coffee can get used in recipies, but we never drink it. The longer it sits on the burner the more the oils seperate out or something like that, and it starts tasting funny. We have a 12 cup coffee maker, but only make 8 cups at a time. We also buy only whole beans and grind them just before brewing. We find it better to make a new pot rather than have left over coffee. Sometimes my wife will pour the left over coffee onto her house plants, but not too often she says. She also uses the grinds in her garden and in the house plants as well. They seem to love the stuff.
I know we sound snobbish not wanting to drink coffee that is more than a couple of hours old, but we blame it all on the guy at our local farmers market that got us into all this. He roasts his own blends and sells them there along with fresh made coffee. He is even more strick than we are, he only uses a french press to make his coffee. He told us with our coffee maker to use the same amount of freshly ground coffee as we usually do to make 8 cups, but use only half the water. Then he has us boil the other half of the water in a seperate pot, let it cool to just under boiling and add it into the pot. He told us the longer it has to drip down over the coffee grounds the more it distorts the flavor. This way it brews in half the time. We tried it, and it did improve the taste. But I do have to agree with him, the best we had was his made in the french press. And since you can only make a cup at a time, there is no waste. I have noticed, however, that I seem to use more fresh ground beans than with the coffee maker.
Its a far cry from my college days of "if it still looks like coffee then its still good to drink!" I think we applied that same rule to pizza, its a miracle we survived.
Also, as I just saw on HGTV, the caffeine found in just one cup of coffee will deter all but the largest of slugs and snails and is more effective the much more toxic commercial chemicals. So, if you have this problem in your garden you can use it to get rid of em!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom