"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 04-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #31
Sous Chef

Katie E Want you to know I am waiting for you to post your family chocolate cake. I know I will have one cup of strong coffee ready.

Old 04-26-2007, 04:18 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
It's right here, darlin': Black Devil's-Food Cake Recipe TNT

Old 04-26-2007, 05:12 PM   #33
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Quote:
Originally Posted by StirBlue
If you make one serving with a coffee bag that might cost .50 cents, no expense for left overs. While making a lot might be cost effective if you have many to serve, making a little might be cheaper by the spoonful.
I'm just worried that one of my neighbors drift by my window and see me sitting at my kitchen table with my digital scale measuring, weighing, bagging, and sealing, and get the wrong idea!
Old 04-26-2007, 08:36 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Caine, I think you are safe for a while if your neighbors see that what you are weighing and measuring isn't some kind of white powder.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:11 PM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine
I'm just worried that one of my neighbors drift by my window and see me sitting at my kitchen table with my digital scale measuring, weighing, bagging, and sealing, and get the wrong idea!
People in your business have Doberman Pinschers for drifty neighbors.
Old 12-13-2007, 12:16 AM   #36
Senior Cook

Location: northern Michigan in the forest, overlooking a waterfall
Leftover coffee grounds? Why, you put them on your roses in the garden. They love it.
Now left over coffee--it can be used in making "red eye " gravy. Just pour it into the pan that contains the carmelized drippings after you have just cooked up country ham. Then get all the little pieces of drippings loosened from the pan, and spoon the mess over homemade biscuits with country ham slivered on top of it.
Or use some as the liquid in making gingerbread, or rye bread to get a nice color.
Try making some coffee liquer from some leftover coffee that you've boiled down to half.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:16 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to wysiwyg
Leftover coffee grounds? If you have a severe case of ants coming into the house or in undesirable areas of your garden, spread some grounds or surround the plants affected with them. Ants will avoid the area.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:32 AM   #38
Head Chef

I saw something on television the other day . A "helpful hint" kind of thing. Anyway, it says to use leftover cold coffee to stain a piece of furniture.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:03 AM   #39
Master Chef

Left over coffee can get used in recipies, but we never drink it. The longer it sits on the burner the more the oils seperate out or something like that, and it starts tasting funny. We have a 12 cup coffee maker, but only make 8 cups at a time. We also buy only whole beans and grind them just before brewing. We find it better to make a new pot rather than have left over coffee. Sometimes my wife will pour the left over coffee onto her house plants, but not too often she says. She also uses the grinds in her garden and in the house plants as well. They seem to love the stuff.
I know we sound snobbish not wanting to drink coffee that is more than a couple of hours old, but we blame it all on the guy at our local farmers market that got us into all this. He roasts his own blends and sells them there along with fresh made coffee. He is even more strick than we are, he only uses a french press to make his coffee. He told us with our coffee maker to use the same amount of freshly ground coffee as we usually do to make 8 cups, but use only half the water. Then he has us boil the other half of the water in a seperate pot, let it cool to just under boiling and add it into the pot. He told us the longer it has to drip down over the coffee grounds the more it distorts the flavor. This way it brews in half the time. We tried it, and it did improve the taste. But I do have to agree with him, the best we had was his made in the french press. And since you can only make a cup at a time, there is no waste. I have noticed, however, that I seem to use more fresh ground beans than with the coffee maker.
Its a far cry from my college days of "if it still looks like coffee then its still good to drink!" I think we applied that same rule to pizza, its a miracle we survived.
Also, as I just saw on HGTV, the caffeine found in just one cup of coffee will deter all but the largest of slugs and snails and is more effective the much more toxic commercial chemicals. So, if you have this problem in your garden you can use it to get rid of em!
Old 01-20-2008, 09:06 AM   #40
Head Chef

I saw a tip on HGTV to use coffee (cold) as a stain for furniture.