Leftover coffee uses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callie

Head Chef
Any ideas what I can do with leftover coffee? Should leftover coffee be refrigerated? frozen?

Callie,

Left-over coffee is actually very versatile. At the restaurant I work at, we make our iced coffee with our left over coffee, so if you like iced coffee, just put it in a pitcher and in the fridge. You can also add some flavorings like caramel or chocolate when serving.

As for more creative uses, left over coffee is great for making coffee ice cream, cakes, brownies, cookies, almost any desert really.

And even though this sounds odd, marinating a steak in a little coffee, and then later encrusting it with pepperocorns and a little ground coffee make for a wonderful flavor.

Oh, and about freezing the coffee. If you aren't going to use it within one or two days, then I would definately freeze it. Maybe even partition it out if you have a lot.

Hope that gave you some ideas.

Gruss,
Jason

Hi Callie:)
Lots of times I'll use left over coffee in things I'm cooking, say a stew or even pork chops, gives them nice color and you really don't taste the coffee as such. I also freeze leftover coffee in an ice cube tray, then when I have iced coffee I add some of the cubes, that way my coffee isn't diluted with plain ice, it's pure caffiene:LOL:

kadesma

From a personal standpoint, I will just nuke it the following day for another cup or two of coffee. This option expires on the second day. I can't drink a whole pot in one day, but I can't tolerate the taste after day two. Not sure exactly what changes, but something does.

Obviously this is not an option from a commercial standpoint, but I wasn't sure if that was exclusively what you were talking about.

You all are great! I just love this place...you all share such good ideas! :) BigDog, I'm talking personal/household use. I'll heat up yesterday's coffee in the microwave, too. Not as good as fresh - but not bad. I'm going to try all your suggestions! Thanks :)

Try it in a gravy when preparing a roast. Very tasty.

I've never heard of most of these ways to reuse coffee grounds, thanks for all the info.

The only uses I've ever tried for them was for fertilzer for house plants and to divine the future.:chef:

Horab said:
I've never heard of most of these ways to reuse coffee grounds, thanks for all the info.

The only uses I've ever tried for them was for fertilzer for house plants and to divine the future.:chef:

Horab...just so there's no misunderstanding - my question is about leftover coffee (the beverage) not the coffee grounds. But then I don't know what to do with leftover coffee grounds either. :LOL:

Another use for leftover coffee is to make a milk shake similar to the Arby's Jamocha. Mix cold coffee with either milk and chocolate ice cream or chocolate milk and vanilla ice cream and a bit of ice in a blender. It is great.

SimonJ621,
You have great ideas. I've used in baking before and on chocolate desserts but will certainly use your suggestions. Thanks.

Again, thanks everyone for the ideas! I've got ice cream in the freezer so will try the shake...and redeye gravy sounds really good. I hate wasting food so am excited about all these suggestions! :)

leftover coffee

callie said:
Any ideas what I can do with leftover coffee? Should leftover coffee be refrigerated? frozen?

Hi there, I use leftover coffee in my mom's southern recipe for b-b-q sauce. It's best if you use pretty strong coffee ( about 1/4 cup) in your b-b-q sauce. I also make homemade beef tamales at Christmas and I add about 1/2 cup strong leftover coffee with my other spices, etc. when I slow cook the meat 'till it's fall-apart tender.wills53:chef:

Just nuke it in the microwave and serve it to the unannounced/unwelcome guests just to spite them:LOL:

Seldom have leftover coffee - it get's put over ice for iced coffee. If there is any left over I use it in gravy, BBQ sauce, stews, and marinades too. Fresh finely ground coffee with cracked black pepper and chili powder make an excellent dry rub for really good steaks.

When I was a kid, I raised earthworms for fishing. About once a week or so I'd mix a couple of tablespoons of used coffee grounds into the can of dirt they lived it, and it kept them fat, happy, and very active.

Cold brewed coffee will reheat nicely in the microwave, provided that you didn't leave it on the burner too long when you first made it. It ain't the best, but sometimes that just don't matter none too much!

I don't drink much coffee, but I love making coffee shakes. I used to work at an IHOP, and that's where I made most of my shake experiments. I made a coffee or mocha one a LOT. I actually used hot coffee in the shakes, but I got the technique down to where I could use the coffee and ice cream and not get a watery mess. THere's just this little trick you have to do....use more ice cream and no milk. The hot coffee makes the ice cream melt enough so you don't have to use the milk. Then I started working at a Dairy Queen and had to change my technique because they use soft-serve.

My mom decorates cakes, and she makes a killer mocha frosting. I'm not sure how she does it, but it's great!

Another way I can think of, like others here, is to freeze them in an ice cube tray. My parents like to put ice in their coffee first thing in the morning to cool it off a little, and if they did freeze the coffee, it wouldn't get all watered down.

I hope this gives you a little more ideas!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom