"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #11
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Quote:
Originally Posted by TATTRAT View Post
I can relate to that, and I share your statements on sun tea. That "right" amount of bitterness, without it being unpalatable, I guess is just like those who like their coffee black.
It's nice to find a common ground with you. I too like my coffee black.

When in my late teens and started drinking coffee I found that it tasted horrible every way, black, sweet, creamed and sweet/creamed. I finally settled on black because none of the alternatives tasted any better. I don't really know why I kept drinking it except maybe it's the classic energy drink that too commonly today is manifested with adulterated products like Red Bull.

To this day I'm glad I settled on black coffee because I don't have to mess with it. For the same reason I like iced tea with just a squeeze of lemon. Minimalist...

I drink one big black 8-10 oz. coffee every day upon arising, and that's enough for me to keep me going throughout the day until my momentum carries me. I love my fresh ground from Colombian bean every day.

I haven't made sun tea in a long time. It's something I should return to soon. It's solar powered!
__________________

__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:37 PM   #12
Master Chef
 
FrankZ's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Chesapeake Bay
Posts: 9,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
There is a reason the south call their drink "Sweet Tea."
Naw.. in the south they call it tea. Tea means ice and sugar (usually a lot of sugar). If you want it any other way you need to tell them.

Hot tea.
Unsweetened tea.

You say tea and you get it sweet over ice, with a wedge of lemon hanging on the rim.

__________________

__________________
"First you start with a pound of bologna..."
-My Grandmother on how to make ham salad.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
I drink my hot tea with lots of lemon. Sometimes I add honey in spite of my no-sweeteners nature. Hot tea with lemon and honey is good for sore throat. Then double dose it with chicken soup.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:52 PM   #14
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,324
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
It's nice to find a common ground with you. I too like my coffee black.

When in my late teens and started drinking coffee I found that it tasted horrible every way, black, sweet, creamed and sweet/creamed. I finally settled on black because none of the alternatives tasted any better. I don't really know why I kept drinking it except maybe it's the classic energy drink that too commonly today is manifested with adulterated products like Red Bull.

To this day I'm glad I settled on black coffee because I don't have to mess with it. For the same reason I like iced tea with just a squeeze of lemon. Minimalist...

I drink one big black 8-10 oz. coffee every day upon arising, and that's enough for me to keep me going throughout the day until my momentum carries me. I love my fresh ground from Colombian bean every day.

I haven't made sun tea in a long time. It's something I should return to soon. It's solar powered!

I never said anything about liking coffee, black or not. I was simply saying, I can understand the people that like that slight bit of bitter.

I have only drank coffee regularly when I lived in Holland, and the coffee there was a variety/prepared the way, of which you could stand a spoon in. I never futzed with milk/dairy, but I NEEDED sugar. To this day, the BEST cup of Joe I have ever had. Whenever I make it that way, I catch up with coffee like it's a long lost friend.



The same way people drink an espresso in it's traditional way, with a zest of lemon. . . *shivers* no way, jose.


Tea, being the second most consumed beverage on this planet, I know has many fashions, ways, and traditions of being drank. . .the way it is consumed in the Americas, I am sure is just another stretch on, or a bastardization of how it was originally intended.

Ultimately, with Tea, and coffee, the reason it is naturally unpalatable, is because it is supposed to be a "turn off" to humans, BUT us, being humans, like the "buzz" it provides, and many cultures, over a LOT of time, have done what they need to do, to make something that is not so enjoyable in it's natural state, enjoyable. That is why we need the additives. AS humans, we have done a great job of tailoring things to suit our pallets, and I enjoy all of the history of it.
__________________
flickr
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
I dont put lemon or ice near my tea.

We only drink tea good and hot, just with milk, I like Yorkshire Teabags best. A proper cup of tea.
__________________
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #16
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 8,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravy Queen View Post
I dont put lemon or ice near my tea.

We only drink tea good and hot, just with milk, I like Yorkshire Teabags best. A proper cup of tea.
Ah, you English, what do you know about tea drinking.
Just kidding, sorry, couldn't help myself.

I actually like tea the same way, but I do not shy away from cup of tea with some lemon, by the way, I strongly recommend you try. You'll like it, I can almost guarantee it.

Oh, and to the original poster, I have never had the tea taste bad with a slice of lemon in it. No matter hot or cold, I mean ice tea.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,777
Love lemon, especially meyer lemon in iced tea. Can't stand American coffee. Now if you want some super, jolting espresso, try colada!
__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #18
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Over the rainbow
Posts: 1,272
@CharlieD - weeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllll I might try it. Just for you.

But, given the choice I prefer lemon in a big G & T
__________________
Gravy Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #19
Sous Chef
 
PolishedTopaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: East End of Long Island
Posts: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by raidencmc View Post
When I make iced tea with fresh lemon the lemon always tastes bad. I thought it was being put in when the tea was still warm. But I have been cutting in wedges and adding it as into each cup. It still tastes bitter no matter how fresh the lemon is. Any suggestions.

You don't mention what KIND of tea you are using. The "American teas" {lipton-tetley} I find are far inferior to to the British types of bagged {an oxymoron I know} teas. And I find them to be bitterer as well. I would suggest switching your brand. Try Twinnings Lady Grey, when sweetened, it has a mild lemoney back flavor. Another thought, try using just the zest of the lemon and muddle it with crushed ice and a pinch of sugar. One more thought, would be the temp of the water as this can effect the bitterness levels as well, just like coffee.
__________________
Just because someone tells you that you can't do something doesn't mean you have to listen.
PolishedTopaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,025
PT, I prefer English teas as well. I wish I could get loose tea in my supermarket. I usually buy Bigelow English Breakfast tea. And I put just a spoonful of sugar in it.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lemon

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.