"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #31
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
I too have heard of drinking hot tea on a hot day as cooling you off, although I can't remember the source or context. I think it promotes sweating and the sweat cools you off?
__________________

__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #32
Assistant Cook
 
CHAMPDAPHDAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 15
I like to add just about a 1/4 tsp of double strength vanilla flavoring to a nice glass of iced sweet tea with lemon the flavor is very refreshing!
__________________

__________________
DUKES MAYONAISE IS UNIVERSAL and MULTI-USE
CHAMPDAPHDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #33
Head Chef
 
GLC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Near Austin, Texas
Posts: 1,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I too have heard of drinking hot tea on a hot day as cooling you off, although I can't remember the source or context. I think it promotes sweating and the sweat cools you off?
It depends on what you want - to be cool or feel cool. (Sounds like a question for middle school kids.) Putting hot liquid into your body adds heat. Not enough to raise your temperature, but it's an increase. So it doesn't make you be cool.

But it does cause the body to shift some blood away from the not warmer core and into the extremities, where you seat a bit more. The increased evaporation make you feel cooler. (And we know - again from middle school - that you might feel cool, but that doesn't make you be cool.)

Unless I'm actually in need of genuine cooling, feeling cool is good enough. And I don't think a cold drink (unimproved by something distilled) soothes like a hot drink.
__________________
"Kitchen duty is awarded only to those of manifest excellence..." - The Master, Dogen
GLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #34
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
If I'm hot I'd rather drink iced water.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #35
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,324
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I too have heard of drinking hot tea on a hot day as cooling you off, although I can't remember the source or context. I think it promotes sweating and the sweat cools you off?

It falls along the same lines a to why a lot of the equatorial regions/cuisines tend to be spicy. The heat makes things cooler by comparison, sweating cools you off. Pretty simple.

That being said, and having lived in the Uk for some time, having a Sheffield-er for a father, I know it gets "hot" in the UK, but a heat wave is like 80 degrees, lol, and on a 110 degree day in VA, my father will have hot coffee before a cold beverage. . . . . . . screw that. Gimme a slurpee, and an Ice Water, stat! Not like father, like son in that regard.
__________________
flickr
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,074
I am hot, I like to suck on ice cubes.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:37 AM   #37
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,324
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am hot, I like to suck on ice cubes.

Oh mamma, lets remember, this is a "family" site!
__________________
flickr
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #38
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: here
Posts: 3,612
Lemon always tastes good in tea. Hot, cold or whatever. I disagree with the topic premise.

However you probably wouldn't want lemon in your tea and milk or cream too. I'm pretty sure that would taste bad!

I like Thai (iced) tea. Most versions of that have a dairy product. (Or many versions, I don't want to argue about it.) I'm pretty sure Thai tea rarely or never has lemon in it.
__________________
Greg Who Cooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #39
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Lemon always tastes good in tea. Hot, cold or whatever. I disagree with the topic premise.

However you probably wouldn't want lemon in your tea and milk or cream too. I'm pretty sure that would taste bad!

I like Thai (iced) tea. Most versions of that have a dairy product. (Or many versions, I don't want to argue about it.) I'm pretty sure Thai tea rarely or never has lemon in it.
That's because you like lemon in your tea...doesn't mean that those that dislike lemon in their tea are wrong. They just don't like lemon in their tea.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #40
The Dude Abides
 
TATTRAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bermuda Native in D.C./NoVA
Posts: 5,324
Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
Lemon always tastes good in tea. Hot, cold or whatever. I disagree with the topic premise.

However you probably wouldn't want lemon in your tea and milk or cream too. I'm pretty sure that would taste bad!

I like Thai (iced) tea. Most versions of that have a dairy product. (Or many versions, I don't want to argue about it.) I'm pretty sure Thai tea rarely or never has lemon in it.

If you are referring to my post, and a Brits love for cream tea, you can count me out...as I made pretty clear by my love for a Slurpee or/and Ice water.
__________________

__________________
flickr
TATTRAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lemon

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.