"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #31
Executive Chef

I too have heard of drinking hot tea on a hot day as cooling you off, although I can't remember the source or context. I think it promotes sweating and the sweat cools you off?

Old 03-08-2012, 12:24 PM   #32
Assistant Cook

I like to add just about a 1/4 tsp of double strength vanilla flavoring to a nice glass of iced sweet tea with lemon the flavor is very refreshing!

Old 03-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #33
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I too have heard of drinking hot tea on a hot day as cooling you off, although I can't remember the source or context. I think it promotes sweating and the sweat cools you off?
It depends on what you want - to be cool or feel cool. (Sounds like a question for middle school kids.) Putting hot liquid into your body adds heat. Not enough to raise your temperature, but it's an increase. So it doesn't make you be cool.

But it does cause the body to shift some blood away from the not warmer core and into the extremities, where you seat a bit more. The increased evaporation make you feel cooler. (And we know - again from middle school - that you might feel cool, but that doesn't make you be cool.)

Unless I'm actually in need of genuine cooling, feeling cool is good enough. And I don't think a cold drink (unimproved by something distilled) soothes like a hot drink.
Old 03-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #34
Executive Chef

If I'm hot I'd rather drink iced water.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #35
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:

It falls along the same lines a to why a lot of the equatorial regions/cuisines tend to be spicy. The heat makes things cooler by comparison, sweating cools you off. Pretty simple.

That being said, and having lived in the Uk for some time, having a Sheffield-er for a father, I know it gets "hot" in the UK, but a heat wave is like 80 degrees, lol, and on a 110 degree day in VA, my father will have hot coffee before a cold beverage. . . . . . . screw that. Gimme a slurpee, and an Ice Water, stat! Not like father, like son in that regard.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:34 AM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

I am hot, I like to suck on ice cubes.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:37 AM   #37
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am hot, I like to suck on ice cubes.

Oh mamma, lets remember, this is a "family" site!
Old 03-10-2012, 12:59 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Lemon always tastes good in tea. Hot, cold or whatever. I disagree with the topic premise.

However you probably wouldn't want lemon in your tea and milk or cream too. I'm pretty sure that would taste bad!

I like Thai (iced) tea. Most versions of that have a dairy product. (Or many versions, I don't want to argue about it.) I'm pretty sure Thai tea rarely or never has lemon in it.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:08 AM   #39
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Lemon always tastes good in tea. Hot, cold or whatever. I disagree with the topic premise.

However you probably wouldn't want lemon in your tea and milk or cream too. I'm pretty sure that would taste bad!

I like Thai (iced) tea. Most versions of that have a dairy product. (Or many versions, I don't want to argue about it.) I'm pretty sure Thai tea rarely or never has lemon in it.
That's because you like lemon in your tea...doesn't mean that those that dislike lemon in their tea are wrong. They just don't like lemon in their tea.
Old 03-10-2012, 01:14 AM   #40
The Dude Abides

Quote:

If you are referring to my post, and a Brits love for cream tea, you can count me out...as I made pretty clear by my love for a Slurpee or/and Ice water.

Tags
lemon