"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 02-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Lemon always tastes bad in tea.

When I make iced tea with fresh lemon the lemon always tastes bad. I thought it was being put in when the tea was still warm. But I have been cutting in wedges and adding it as into each cup. It still tastes bitter no matter how fresh the lemon is. Any suggestions.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Do you squeeze the lemon wedge into the tea to get the juice out? Otherwise, if you just throw the wedges in without squeezing, it might taste bitter, and is a waste of lemon. I always wash any fruit before I use it as well.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Do you squeeze the lemon wedge into the tea to get the juice out? Otherwise, if you just throw the wedges in without squeezing, it might taste bitter, and is a waste of lemon. I always wash any fruit before I use it as well.
You are right Dawg. You have to squeeze the lemon juice. It helps dilute the bitterness. And if you still find it bitter, add a bit of sugar. Perhaps you are adding too much lemon.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
Master Chef

Let's face it. Lemon is bitter, and the peel is even more bitter. I really enjoy the flavor of lemon, but never in tea.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 10:19 PM   #5
Executive Chef

@ the OP:

Is it possible that you just don't like lemon in iced tea? Have you had lemon in iced tea at another setting and enjoyed it?
Old 02-29-2012, 10:30 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Let's face it. Lemon is bitter, and the peel is even more bitter. I really enjoy the flavor of lemon, but never in tea.
I personally like a small amount of sugar only in my tea. But this being New England and so many of our natives to this city are of Irish descent or straight from the old sod iself, they like milk also. I admit, I am a bit of an oddity. The tannin oils of the tea are bitter in and of themselves. Adding lemon without sugar only increases the bitterness. There is a reason the south call their drink "Sweet Tea."
Old 02-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #7
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
You are right Dawg. You have to squeeze the lemon juice. It helps dilute the bitterness. And if you still find it bitter, add a bit of sugar. Perhaps you are adding too much lemon.

Squeezing the lemon juice doesn't do anything to dilute it's strength. It would be pretty hard to squeeze juice. Squeezing the lemon, renders it's juice, and it's juice should be, and normally is, far milder than the essential oils in it's rind, and pith.

Sugar is always an option, an personally, unsweetened tea, with lemon, is very unappealing. Tea on it's its own, is on the bitter side, adding lemon, is just adding to it.

Depending on how much lemon is being added, and what part of the lemon is being added, ie: just the juice, or slices of the whole fruit, will greatly impact the end result, especially on how long it is left to steep.

Sun Brewed Tea, Lemon juice, Sugar to taste, and go from there. it's done successfully by millions of southern tea drinkers every day.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:37 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I too brew my tea in the sun. It's fun to put a big glass jug out there in the morning, and a few bags, and by afternoon you have good tea.

I take that and squeeze a bit of lemon into it and that's my iced tea (after adding ice cubes). I don't like sweet stuff. I like the bitter taste of the lemon and the faint bitter taste of the tea itself (Lipton's).
Old 02-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourmet Greg View Post
I too brew my tea in the sun. It's fun to put a big glass jug out there in the morning, and a few bags, and by afternoon you have good tea.

I take that and squeeze a bit of lemon into it and that's my iced tea (after adding ice cubes). I don't like sweet stuff. I like the bitter taste of the lemon and the faint bitter taste of the tea itself (Lipton's).
I can relate to that, and I share your statements on sun tea. That "right" amount of bitterness, without it being unpalatable, I guess is just like those who like their coffee black.

I miss afternoons with sun-tea, one of my few fond memories when I moved to the US as a kid.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Don't want lemon anywhere near my tea...I will eat the slices, though!

Tags
lemon