Lemon always tastes bad in tea.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raidencmc

Assistant Cook
When I make iced tea with fresh lemon the lemon always tastes bad. I thought it was being put in when the tea was still warm. But I have been cutting in wedges and adding it as into each cup. It still tastes bitter no matter how fresh the lemon is. Any suggestions.

Do you squeeze the lemon wedge into the tea to get the juice out? Otherwise, if you just throw the wedges in without squeezing, it might taste bitter, and is a waste of lemon. I always wash any fruit before I use it as well.

Last edited:
Do you squeeze the lemon wedge into the tea to get the juice out? Otherwise, if you just throw the wedges in without squeezing, it might taste bitter, and is a waste of lemon. I always wash any fruit before I use it as well.

You are right Dawg. You have to squeeze the lemon juice. It helps dilute the bitterness. And if you still find it bitter, add a bit of sugar. Perhaps you are adding too much lemon. :)

@ the OP:

Is it possible that you just don't like lemon in iced tea? Have you had lemon in iced tea at another setting and enjoyed it?

Let's face it. Lemon is bitter, and the peel is even more bitter. I really enjoy the flavor of lemon, but never in tea.

I personally like a small amount of sugar only in my tea. But this being New England and so many of our natives to this city are of Irish descent or straight from the old sod iself, they like milk also. I admit, I am a bit of an oddity. The tannin oils of the tea are bitter in and of themselves. Adding lemon without sugar only increases the bitterness. There is a reason the south call their drink "Sweet Tea." :chef:

You are right Dawg. You have to squeeze the lemon juice. It helps dilute the bitterness. And if you still find it bitter, add a bit of sugar. Perhaps you are adding too much lemon. :)

Squeezing the lemon juice doesn't do anything to dilute it's strength. It would be pretty hard to squeeze juice. Squeezing the lemon, renders it's juice, and it's juice should be, and normally is, far milder than the essential oils in it's rind, and pith.

Sugar is always an option, an personally, unsweetened tea, with lemon, is very unappealing. Tea on it's its own, is on the bitter side, adding lemon, is just adding to it.

Depending on how much lemon is being added, and what part of the lemon is being added, ie: just the juice, or slices of the whole fruit, will greatly impact the end result, especially on how long it is left to steep.

Sun Brewed Tea, Lemon juice, Sugar to taste, and go from there. it's done successfully by millions of southern tea drinkers every day.

I too brew my tea in the sun. It's fun to put a big glass jug out there in the morning, and a few bags, and by afternoon you have good tea.

I take that and squeeze a bit of lemon into it and that's my iced tea (after adding ice cubes). I don't like sweet stuff. I like the bitter taste of the lemon and the faint bitter taste of the tea itself (Lipton's).

I too brew my tea in the sun. It's fun to put a big glass jug out there in the morning, and a few bags, and by afternoon you have good tea.

I take that and squeeze a bit of lemon into it and that's my iced tea (after adding ice cubes). I don't like sweet stuff. I like the bitter taste of the lemon and the faint bitter taste of the tea itself (Lipton's).

I can relate to that, and I share your statements on sun tea. That "right" amount of bitterness, without it being unpalatable, I guess is just like those who like their coffee black.

I miss afternoons with sun-tea, one of my few fond memories when I moved to the US as a kid.

I can relate to that, and I share your statements on sun tea. That "right" amount of bitterness, without it being unpalatable, I guess is just like those who like their coffee black.
It's nice to find a common ground with you. I too like my coffee black.

When in my late teens and started drinking coffee I found that it tasted horrible every way, black, sweet, creamed and sweet/creamed. I finally settled on black because none of the alternatives tasted any better. I don't really know why I kept drinking it except maybe it's the classic energy drink that too commonly today is manifested with adulterated products like Red Bull.

To this day I'm glad I settled on black coffee because I don't have to mess with it. For the same reason I like iced tea with just a squeeze of lemon. Minimalist...

I drink one big black 8-10 oz. coffee every day upon arising, and that's enough for me to keep me going throughout the day until my momentum carries me. I love my fresh ground from Colombian bean every day.

I haven't made sun tea in a long time. It's something I should return to soon. It's solar powered! :)

Last edited:
There is a reason the south call their drink "Sweet Tea." :chef:

Naw.. in the south they call it tea. Tea means ice and sugar (usually a lot of sugar). If you want it any other way you need to tell them.

Hot tea.
Unsweetened tea.

You say tea and you get it sweet over ice, with a wedge of lemon hanging on the rim.

:)

I drink my hot tea with lots of lemon. Sometimes I add honey in spite of my no-sweeteners nature. Hot tea with lemon and honey is good for sore throat. Then double dose it with chicken soup.

It's nice to find a common ground with you. I too like my coffee black.

When in my late teens and started drinking coffee I found that it tasted horrible every way, black, sweet, creamed and sweet/creamed. I finally settled on black because none of the alternatives tasted any better. I don't really know why I kept drinking it except maybe it's the classic energy drink that too commonly today is manifested with adulterated products like Red Bull.

To this day I'm glad I settled on black coffee because I don't have to mess with it. For the same reason I like iced tea with just a squeeze of lemon. Minimalist...

I drink one big black 8-10 oz. coffee every day upon arising, and that's enough for me to keep me going throughout the day until my momentum carries me. I love my fresh ground from Colombian bean every day.

I haven't made sun tea in a long time. It's something I should return to soon. It's solar powered! :)

I never said anything about liking coffee, black or not. I was simply saying, I can understand the people that like that slight bit of bitter.

I have only drank coffee regularly when I lived in Holland, and the coffee there was a variety/prepared the way, of which you could stand a spoon in. I never futzed with milk/dairy, but I NEEDED sugar. To this day, the BEST cup of Joe I have ever had. Whenever I make it that way, I catch up with coffee like it's a long lost friend.

The same way people drink an espresso in it's traditional way, with a zest of lemon. . . *shivers* no way, jose.

Tea, being the second most consumed beverage on this planet, I know has many fashions, ways, and traditions of being drank. . .the way it is consumed in the Americas, I am sure is just another stretch on, or a bastardization of how it was originally intended.

Ultimately, with Tea, and coffee, the reason it is naturally unpalatable, is because it is supposed to be a "turn off" to humans, BUT us, being humans, like the "buzz" it provides, and many cultures, over a LOT of time, have done what they need to do, to make something that is not so enjoyable in it's natural state, enjoyable. That is why we need the additives. AS humans, we have done a great job of tailoring things to suit our pallets, and I enjoy all of the history of it.

I dont put lemon or ice near my tea. :yum:

We only drink tea good and hot, just with milk, I like Yorkshire Teabags best. A proper cup of tea.

Ah, you English, what do you know about tea drinking.
Just kidding, sorry, couldn't help myself. ;):LOL:

I actually like tea the same way, but I do not shy away from cup of tea with some lemon, by the way, I strongly recommend you try. You'll like it, I can almost guarantee it.

Oh, and to the original poster, I have never had the tea taste bad with a slice of lemon in it. No matter hot or cold, I mean ice tea.

Love lemon, especially meyer lemon in iced tea. Can't stand American coffee. Now if you want some super, jolting espresso, try colada!

When I make iced tea with fresh lemon the lemon always tastes bad. I thought it was being put in when the tea was still warm. But I have been cutting in wedges and adding it as into each cup. It still tastes bitter no matter how fresh the lemon is. Any suggestions.

You don't mention what KIND of tea you are using. The "American teas" {lipton-tetley} I find are far inferior to to the British types of bagged {an oxymoron I know:glare:} teas. And I find them to be bitterer as well. I would suggest switching your brand. Try Twinnings Lady Grey, when sweetened, it has a mild lemoney back flavor. Another thought, try using just the zest of the lemon and muddle it with crushed ice and a pinch of sugar. One more thought, would be the temp of the water as this can effect the bitterness levels as well, just like coffee.

Last edited:
PT, I prefer English teas as well. I wish I could get loose tea in my supermarket. I usually buy Bigelow English Breakfast tea. And I put just a spoonful of sugar in it. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom