Price of Beer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm too old to be a hipster, so I don't drink PBR -- don't think I've ever had one, to be honest. But, I just read that PBR sales are declining, since hipsters now see it as too "mainstream" for them. Whatever.CD

You probably haven't heard the song with these lyrics, "There's no place that I'd rather be than right here, with my red neck, white socks and blue ribbon beer".

If the hipsters wanted to be really cool they would drink my fave brand, Molson Export Ale. Better known as X. Oldest canadian beer still in production. I’ve been drinking it since the 70’s. It’s looked upon as old man’’s beer. I always say it's Real Man’s beer. ��

I've always drunk cool beers like Heineken, years ago when my son was about 18 and living at home, I always kept 2 boxes of Heineken in my office. Whenever I went to fill the fridge it was gone. I said to my son to,get his own beer. He didn't. Kept using mine,then one day I was at my local and spotted a real,cheap beer. Not popular hence the cheap beer. I bought a couple of slabs of it and put in the office. My son never touched it,lol. I asked him why he didn't touch it, he laughed and said I'm not being seen drinking that c$&@. Lol. Problem solved.

Russ

I only buy beer as an ingredient, or when I’m eating out and beer is the best accompaniment to the meal (like sushi). I hate spending six or seven bucks on a bottle of chocolate stout when I’m only going to use a quarter cup of it (I don’t really like chocolate stout, but it does make those chocolate blackberry brownies ever so interesting!). I’ll use an American, Japanese, or Mexican lager to make my NOLA BBQ shrimp, but white wine or dry vermouth work equally as well.

Oh heavens NO!!! No Jax, no Dixie. Carbonated pond water.

CD

When I first moved to Aransas Pass, my husband was out shrimping. A woman who ran the Beach Grill located right on the waterfront, asked me if I wanted to work. Sure. It helped pass the time until hubby's boat came in.

A Mexican asked for a Jax. Only he pronounced the J like a Y. And the fact that I had never heard of it only confused me more. I finally took one of every beer in the cooler out and asked him which one.

I was that Damn Yankee girl from up north. The guys would come in just to hear me talk with my Boston accent.

I like Abita, but not Turbo Dog. Emeril made that crap famous. Nasty, IMHO. :cool: :LOL:

Purple Haze is a nice change of pace beer.

CD

Not much of a fan either. I do however like Dixie's Blackened Voodo Lager. I'm also a big fan of Cave Creek Chile beer.

I've always drunk cool beers like Heineken, years ago when my son was about 18 and living at home, I always kept 2 boxes of Heineken in my office. Whenever I went to fill the fridge it was gone. I said to my son to,get his own beer. He didn't. Kept using mine,then one day I was at my local and spotted a real,cheap beer. Not popular hence the cheap beer. I bought a couple of slabs of it and put in the office. My son never touched it,lol. I asked him why he didn't touch it, he laughed and said I'm not being seen drinking that c$&@. Lol. Problem solved.

Russ

The best Heineken I've ever had was draft at a hotel bar in Amsterdam. I used to bring back Becks in clear bottles from some of my Caribbean trips. Then they ruined it by brewing Kalik in the Bahamas, yuck. The Becks was a much higher alcohol content than what you could buy here in the states. A first for me was beer vending machines in Europe.

Last edited:
We call it the ABC store because in Virginia, only the state can sell liquor (other than in restaurants) under the Alcoholic Beverage Control system :wacko: A leftover from Prohibition days.

We have ABC stores, but people own them not the government. They just have to follow the government rules like everyone else does. They are the only ones that can sell liquor. Any store (with license) can sell beer now 7 days a week.
We can now buy beer on Sundays, but I'm not sure about liquor? Also, they could only sell mini bottles in restaurants and bars. No bottle pour. Actually that law should be reversed....lol You were guaranteed a good strong drink back then or made two drinks out of one. The mini bottle is gone today.

When we moved here they would not allow stores to open on Sunday. (Convenience stores were allowed to open and sell cigarettes but no beer)
Of course people had to still go to work in the textile mills.

Natty light, eh? :huh:
I can't criticize, as these days I mostly drink Busch Non-Alcohol beer. Basically, fizzy water.
Living in Texas, and working with Mexican immigrants on a regular basis, I no longer drink Corona -- gringo beer. I do like Dos Equis -- and Tecate. At Mexican/TexMex restaurants, I order Pacifico. Pacifico or SOL is Mexican working-man beers, and they are pretty darned goo, too.

Yep I like natty light. But like Bud Light better. Both with alcohol. I took a sip once of non-alcohol beer once and never again. I think it was O'Dooles or something like that. I have never seen non alcohol Busch?

Oh, a little tip to anyone who might find themselves in Oklahoma... Beer in most stores and restaurants is limited to 3.2-percent alcohol -- near beer. You have to go to a liquor store to by real beer, and of course, they are required by law to be closed on Sunday.

And, if you come to Texas, and want to watch a Football game on Sunday at noon, with beer, you better buy the beer on Saturday, before midnight, because you can't buy it before noon on Sunday -- and don't even think about buying liquor after 9PM on Saturday. You gotta' wait until Monday for that.

CD

Thanks Casey. Now I know what "near beer" is. I can correct some that call Bud, Busch and other cheap beers by that name.
I know for a fact Bud Light is 4.5% and there is one called Icehouse Edge that is 8.0%. You can only get that in 24oz cans with a paper bag type deal.
Convenience stores. I keep a few in the fridge but rarely drink them unless I have already been drinking. ;)

When I first moved here, that was the rule on Sundays as well. It was a silly rule and little by little we have gotten away from the archaic rules and well most of the rulers....lol The Southern Baptists still rule, but not as much as they did before.
We even have lottery and scratch off tickets. We elected one democrat governor, for one term, that ran on the lottery.
As soon as we got it, they kicked him to the curb. Last one in my lifetime I am certain.

Last edited:
Hey, that goes double for a good steak. I can buy a USDA prime ribeye for about fourteen bucks, cook it to perfection, grill some asparagus and make some garlic mashed potatoes -- total cost, less than 20 bucks.

Same meal at a prime steakhouse, around 100 bucks. Not to mention what you said about wine -- add 20 bucks at the prime steakhouse for that glass of wine.

CD

Sounds like my idea of heaven Casey,

I'll be coming round to your house for dinner next time I'm in the US!!! :LOL:

I saw this thread start and didn't really pay it much mind, mostly `cuz DH doesn't drink at all and I only drink Beer on the very rare occasion.
I'm planning on making grilled Hamburgers for supper tonight and
thought, Hmmm, Burger, Beer and Fries, yeah!
So I popped over to the local supermarket to pick up a few things
along with a six-pak. I prefer the more premium Beers... my new fave
is a local Beer, Kilt Lifter or TJ's house brand Dark Beer... I got the KL.

OH MY GAWD!!!

It was ON SALE for $9.99USD, regular price was $12.99 !!!
SAY WHAT?! :blink:

I think I'll stick with my Three-Buck-Chuck!!! :LOL:

This is our current bottle opener (til it gets lost or stolen)... IMG_0557.jpgthat’s real beer inside...

Cute, roadfix. You have an emergency bottle in case there are no 12-ouncers to open. ;)

...I popped over to the local supermarket to pick up a few things

OH MY GAWD!!!

SAY WHAT?!...
So that six-pack is 72 ounces, right? That's pretty much what a 6-pack of something good goes for - $12 or more a six-pack. Kilt Lifter is a craft beer, so $12.99 sounds fair, makes $9.99 a bargain.

We are surrounded by craft breweries by us - almost every town but ours has one. :LOL: We have two bottles from the brewery in the next town over, a growler (64 ounces) and a quart. If it's just the two of us, I will use the quart bottle. We haven't stopped there for a while, but the last time a quart was going for $9 and up.

You paid about $1.67 for a bottle of beer. What would that have cost in a Four Peaks brew-pub? :huh: See, I made it look like a bargain just like that! :LOL:

* Know to locals as "the packy", it is an adult beverage store that offers beer, wine, and spirits.

I saw this thread start and didn't really pay it much mind, mostly `cuz DH doesn't drink at all and I only drink Beer on the very rare occasion.
I'm planning on making grilled Hamburgers for supper tonight and
thought, Hmmm, Burger, Beer and Fries, yeah!
So I popped over to the local supermarket to pick up a few things

OH MY GAWD!!!

SAY WHAT?! :blink:

I think I'll stick with my Three-Buck-Chuck!!! :LOL:

That wouldn't happen to be Moylan's Kilt Lifter Scotch Ale?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom