"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine
Old 02-17-2007, 04:29 AM   #11
Sous Chef
There is also a product called Resolv-it, which may be Goof-off in a tiny bottle, that removes labels. Great for getting that gummy residue off.

Candocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:33 PM   #12
Head Chef
Oddly, I find hot water on the inside works well. Seems to melt the glue a bit without disintegrating the label.

Snoop Puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 05:00 PM   #13
Head Chef
When the bottle sweats the label will not peel off very well. If I do not catch a label on a cup or dish...etc before I wash it, it will likely be on there forever.
My best way of getting a label off a bottle in one piece is to put hot water in the bottle and allow some time for the glue to loosen up. (I do not use boiling water) For a wine bottle you may need a funnel.
Sometimes I have to do this two or three times before it works. If I need the label, I put it on a piece of plain paper as it will reglue itself to whatever it touches.
Rebates are becoming so unpopular because you never know what they will ask for. A lot of times, it is the upc code. I lost my rebate on jeans because I did not send the tag with the horse logo (buy 3 pair & get the 4th free rebate offer).
If a company offers a rebate, it should be processed at the service counter when & where you purchased the product.
When I am making a rebate purchase, I have it put on a separate order so that I can have a receipt for my other purchases. I also make a copy of the sales receipt.
Automotive stores are really big on rebates. One only knows what they would require for a rebate.
The quickest processed rebates are the ones where the company is going to send you a product.
StirBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #14
Executive Chef
I'm not too sure about the labels, but I can suurrre remove that wine.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #15
Executive Chef
On a serious note: I have a wine label book that I use for personal reference. It comes with label removers. LabelOff Wine Label Removers - IWA | International Wine Accessories
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 11:42 AM   #16
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
there`s 2 sorts of adhesive really, Polar and Non polar, the hot cloth works for the water based types, long chain alkanes work for the non water based types, I find Lighter petrol or ligroin works, Toluene or Xylene is also good and WD-40 is Fantastic and smells much nicer than all those listed. but remember.... DO IT OUTDOORS!!!!!
So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #17
Assistant Cook
I'm surprised no has mentioned straight ammonia. I used to do quite a bit of homebrewing and therefore needed to remove the labels from many cases of beer bottles. I would submerge the bottles in a mix of about two cups of Ammonia in the bathtub in warm water, and labels would literally float off the bottles sometimes within minutes. Alternatively, depending on whether or not your goal was to preserve the label, you could score it several times and then spray with Windex/or other ammonia based glass cleaner. The ammonia will definitely soften/disolve the glue.
Oleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #18
Head Chef
I can't say for sure but once I asked for the label in a restaurant. The bartender steamed it off.
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 10:20 PM   #19
Head Chef
The adhesive (label off) removers work quite well. I keep labels of wines I like and dislike. At the wine store, they are pricey, but sometimes can be found in discount style stores much cheaper. They do not remove the label, but split it the front from the back, and leave the front attached to the remover.

Bigjim68 is offline   Reply With Quote