Snow Cone Syrup Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Linda123

Senior Cook
I was looking online for a place to buy snow cone syrup and found recipes to make my own. Most of the recipes called for an unflavored koolade packet, 2 cups sugar and a cup of water. Most of the recipes say to boil the water, sugar and koolade together.

Why does this have to be boiled? I have a professional snow cone machine (kids love me!) and making my own syrup will definitely save money. But, do I really have to go to the trouble of boiling it?

I was looking online for a place to buy snow cone syrup and found recipes to make my own. Most of the recipes called for an unflavored koolade packet, 2 cups sugar and a cup of water. Most of the recipes say to boil the water, sugar and koolade together.

Why does this have to be boiled? I have a professional snow cone machine (kids love me!) and making my own syrup will definitely save money. But, do I really have to go to the trouble of boiling it?

It dissolves the sugar better, I would just set up my flavors in each bowl/bottle with the sugar and pour the boiling water in and shake or stir.

Hmmm...I like this idea, thank you!:LOL:

You're making a flavored simple syrup. You have to boil it to melt the sugar, boil off some of the water and heat the sugar to the proper temperature to thicken the mixture.

If you don't boil it, you'll have super sweet Koolaid, not a thick syrup.

????????

You know, the funny thing is I read it as unsweetened NOT unflavored. Anyway. The mind is so good at correcting things for us. Enjoy the snowcones. Wish I could join you!

Yeah, i knew what she meant, too...didn't see anything odd until it was pointed out.

Back
Top Bottom