"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 05-02-2013, 07:12 PM   #11
Executive Chef

I have 2 grinders and they are wonderful. Grinding is not my problem.

I determined that it was #1 the container I was keeping the coffee in and #2 the quality of the brand I was having difficulties with.

I am still keeping my coffee frozen and when ready to use it's in the fridge. I did try it room temp and we both noticed a difference so it went back in the fridge.

I am going out tomorrow and will be near a store other than Walmart which is all we have here .. and I will see about one of those glass jars you are suggesting.

Old 05-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
Master Chef

What works with the jar is that it is airtight. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Anyway, I would think even a Ball canning jar would work as long as the top with the rubber edge didn't come from a set-up that was used for pickled something. You probably don't want jalapeno flavored coffee.

In this case even Wal-Mart would work since they have a big canning section - usually.

Old 05-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

I keep my coffee in the original canister from the store and on the counter next to the coffee maker. I use it up too fast to worry about it. The filters are in the drawer right under the coffee maker. I keep a measuring 1/3 cup in the canister. The perfect amount of coffee for an 11 cup pot. I can go through two to three pots of coffee a day. Some days it is the only thing I take into my system.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:14 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
My question is about storing coffee prior to use.

I purchase in bulk when it's on sale and freeze it in the original packaging.

I have been putting the - ground or bean depending on what I purchased - coffee into a plastic container and keeping it in the fridge for daily use.

Now I've been doing this for many many years with no problems whatsoever.

However .. I think I need to change that. For some reason over the last couple of months my coffee (same brand as always) has begun to smell just awful while brewing. Kind of smells like burning oil.

It's not the coffee maker - I went out and bought another thinking mine was giving up the ghost.

It's not the water - I've purchased bottled water and tried that.

So my question is simple ... and it's all about how you store your grounds/beans prior to use.

Do you use plastic, original packaging, pottery? I definitely detect difference in refrigerated vs room temp so have no interest in changing that.
The last time I posted this tip I got shouted down but I was given it years ago by a senior coffee blender who worked for a major independent ground coffee company in the north of England (you'll have heard of it if you know England and tea shops at all).

Ground coffee starts to go over as soon as the package is opened so keeping it next to the kettle or in a cupboard at room temperature will see it tasting vile in a matter of one or two days.

I keep my opened packs of ground coffee in an airtight container in the freezer and use it straight from the freezer. If you put it in the jug or maker before putting on the kettle the coffee will have defrosted by the time the water is at the right temperature to use. Incidentally, the same person told me that the water should be off the boil when pouring it onto the coffee because boiling water burns coffee (this apparently applies to instant coffee too but I don't drink instant so I've never noticed). The flavour of coffee beans also stays good longer if they are stored in the freezer.

Failing that, have you changed blends or makes? Or possibly the manufacturer of your favourite coffee has changed the composition of their blend. I'm sorry to say that I have not come across a fair trade ground coffee available in the UK that doesn't taste horrid and some supermarkets' own brand ground coffee is awful. However, chaq'un a son gout

Or have you changed your dish washing product? I couldn't work out why my tea was tasting horrible all of a sudden until I realised I had bought a new washing up liquid with "lemon" fragrance in it that was lurking on the clean and dry cups. - bleuch!!
Old 09-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I keep my coffee in the original canister from the store and on the counter next to the coffee maker. I use it up too fast to worry about it. The filters are in the drawer right under the coffee maker. I keep a measuring 1/3 cup in the canister. The perfect amount of coffee for an 11 cup pot. I can go through two to three pots of coffee a day. Some days it is the only thing I take into my system.
Heavens to Murgatroyd, Addie! 2 or 3 x 11 cup pots of coffee a day!!! However do you stay grounded? I'd be permanently attached to the light fittings, swinging merrily.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Ground coffee starts to go over as soon as the package is opened so keeping it next to the kettle or in a cupboard at room temperature will see it tasting vile in a matter of one or two days.

I keep my opened packs of ground coffee in an airtight container in the freezer and use it straight from the freezer. If you put it in the jug or maker before putting on the kettle the coffee will have defrosted by the time the water is at the right temperature to use. Incidentally, the same person told me that the water should be off the boil when pouring it onto the coffee because boiling water burns coffee (this apparently applies to instant coffee too but I don't drink instant so I've never noticed). The flavour of coffee beans also stays good longer if they are stored in the freezer.

Almost exactly what I was going to write.

I use airtight plastic containers for my coffee (in the freezer, glass feels too cold). I wash the container every 2nd or 3rd time it is used. Before filling coffee into a clean container, I sniff to make sure there is no stale coffee smell.

I once heard in a movie that the water for coffee shouldn't be boiling. I thought, "Hah! Silly nonsense." Then one day I wanted just one cup of coffee. My Melitta cone was for 6-10 cups of coffee. So, I measured out the coffee, boiled the water and measured the water with my coffee mug. The coffee was noticeably better. Because of that movie, I figured out why my coffee was suddenly better.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:02 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
The coffee was noticeably better. Because of that movie, I figured out why my coffee was suddenly better.
I have the Keurig set to 180F, perfect cup of coffee every time.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:18 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have the Keurig set to 180F, perfect cup of coffee every time.
Mine is set at 192F. Still less than boiling.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:21 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Mine is set at 192F. Still less than boiling.
The air is thinner up here...
Old 09-23-2013, 03:24 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Good point! I've never had to think about that!

Tags
coffee