"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine
Old 09-23-2013, 02:33 PM   #21
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Good point! I've never had to think about that!
I grew up and learned to cook at over 7000 ft above sea level, water takes forever to boil here at 3000.

PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:56 PM   #22
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
The last time I posted this tip I got shouted down but I was given it years ago by a senior coffee blender who worked for a major independent ground coffee company in the north of England (you'll have heard of it if you know England and tea shops at all).

Ground coffee starts to go over as soon as the package is opened so keeping it next to the kettle or in a cupboard at room temperature will see it tasting vile in a matter of one or two days.

I keep my opened packs of ground coffee in an airtight container in the freezer and use it straight from the freezer. If you put it in the jug or maker before putting on the kettle the coffee will have defrosted by the time the water is at the right temperature to use. Incidentally, the same person told me that the water should be off the boil when pouring it onto the coffee because boiling water burns coffee (this apparently applies to instant coffee too but I don't drink instant so I've never noticed). The flavour of coffee beans also stays good longer if they are stored in the freezer.

Thanks for posting about this. I was told the same thing and have always done it that way (except I kept a small container in the fridge for daily use).

I also have always met strong opposition to this practice.

There is a difference in the end result - IMHO.

Failing that, have you changed blends or makes? Or possibly the manufacturer of your favourite coffee has changed the composition of their blend. I'm sorry to say that I have not come across a fair trade ground coffee available in the UK that doesn't taste horrid and some supermarkets' own brand ground coffee is awful. However, chaq'un a son gout

Or have you changed your dish washing product? I couldn't work out why my tea was tasting horrible all of a sudden until I realised I had bought a new washing up liquid with "lemon" fragrance in it that was lurking on the clean and dry cups. - bleuch!!

Nothing had changed.

Since I made this post we have been in experiment mode.

First thing I did was get a glass container as suggested by Cooking Goddess.

I must say that made a difference in a good way.

After a short while we began to experience that funny smell again.

Did all the cleaning of the coffeemaker, pot, glass jar and started over.

This time kept the coffee in the cupboard as everyone insisted was the right thing to do.

There was definitely a difference in taste.

At about the same point as before we began to experience that funny smell again.

So went through all the cleaning again.

This time everything was in the freezer including the glass jar.

Same thing happened.

So I am thinking that there comes a certain point where the container simply needs to be emptied and cleaned - and I am now doing that once a week rather than when the bag of coffee is completely used.

I do know that the time it took to experience this funny smell was quite a bit longer with the glass jar than with the tupperware/rubbermaid I was using.

So the end result of all of this is I now have an awesome glass jar to hold my coffee in a manageable amount, empty and clean every Saturday whether it needs it or not, keep the coffee in the freezer and all seems A-ok.

Thanks to everyone for the input - it really did help

MrsLMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:26 PM   #23
Senior Cook
Oh Addie: I understand!! My students knew to behave until I had several cups of coffee. (I had a coffee maker in my classroom office!!!) of course my first hour group of Seniors also loved coffee, so for good behavior we had "Coffee Fridays".

Raspberrymocha55 is offline   Reply With Quote