"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 03-24-2007, 08:27 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
I take fresh Starbuck's medium roast beans, toss them in the grinder and make one shot of espresso. Froth the warm milk, topped with espresso and dulce de leche syrup. Mmmm....we haven't been throwing our money away buying expensive coffee at Starbucks anymore. We make it at home.

Old 03-26-2007, 05:10 AM   #32
Sous Chef

I got lucky, this week.
I came accross whole nutmegs. Somebody here on this forum told me, that these freshly ground are delicious in coffee. Today, I will try it.

Mel

Old 03-26-2007, 07:10 AM   #33
Executive Chef

That sounds good Mel, let us know how it turns out!

I have not had coffee in 12 days! Probably won't have any for another week. But I miss it soooo!
Old 03-26-2007, 08:25 AM   #34
Sous Chef

I am drinking it right now, Redkitty.
I tastes great. I would also have added some cinnemon, but I have run out.

Mel
Old 03-26-2007, 09:58 AM   #35
Executive Chef

black, no sugar. I like dark roast for many such as Sumatran, or American roast for rich winey coffees like Columbian. I like the Fench press...good coffee like good tea needs to be fresh and an 8 cup pot is only useful if you are serving dinner to 8 people. Unlike tea which can sit for a few minutes and a second cup can be had, coffee doesn't age in the pot well. So the big mug size French press is an ideal size. Restaurant supply stiores sell them and they are very reasonable (under $12 often)

I do tea after lunch, coffee before. Picky about tea also...The UKers are lucky about that. They know how to make a propper cuppa.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:53 PM   #36
Cook

As Mr Wolf says in Pulp Fiction:

Lots of cream, lots of sugar.

And if it's in the evening, a dash of vanilla extract and some good cinnamon.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:35 AM   #37
Cook

I have a bodum vacuum pot and love it! I was using the old TNT Mr. Coffee pot for years and then just decided one day that "I was worth more then the inferior instant stagnat that is sold to me in stores" and went out on a limb, bought my pot and now have a wonderful man about 1/2 hour from me who buys beans direct and roasts them for me. I make a bi-monthly trip up to see him, purchase my 6 lbs and I am off to home to enjoy my roast. Black, 1 level tsp of raw sugar and a touch of fresh cream. MMMM...supurb.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #38
Sous Chef

I use the stove top coffee maker. I love espresso coffee...essentially i drink a cold "flat white". Have had it since i can remember, the only change is i put more espresso in the milk as i got older :)

Old 10-17-2007, 11:52 PM   #39
Sous Chef

Douwe Egberts?

Last winter, I had some Douwe Egberts decaf at a hotel that was the best coffee I have ever had. I asked the staff and they told me the brand and that it comes as a concentrated liquid. Later in the year, I had the same coffee at a business lunch. I bought some Douwe Egberts ground decaf at a German-themed store over the summer but it was not the same coffee. Any ideas?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:18 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
Last winter, I had some Douwe Egberts decaf at a hotel that was the best coffee I have ever had. I asked the staff and they told me the brand and that it comes as a concentrated liquid. Later in the year, I had the same coffee at a business lunch. I bought some Douwe Egberts ground decaf at a German-themed store over the summer but it was not the same coffee. Any ideas?
Jet, I've been on the same quest. The system is a cold brew one that produces a concentrate. You keep it in the fridge and then add a certain amount to hot water to make a cup of coffee. I bought a Coffee Toddy and it does work very well. Now I'm trying to find the right coffee.

Douwe Egberts makes several "flavors" of coffee that are available to consumers but so far, I haven't found the right one. I'm afraid it may be one that's made only for their proprietary concentrates and systems and may not be available to folks like us. (Burger King's new gourmet coffee, BK Joe, is a Douwe Egberts concentrate.) If you find a source for this stuff, please post it! I'll do the same.
BTW, welcome to DC! We're glad you're here!