"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 10-22-2007, 01:36 AM   #51
Executive Chef

I bought a Bunn Commercial dual hopper burr grinder (used, on ebay) and a commercial Bunn brewer (also ebay). A lot of coffee gets drunk here and I love having a 12 cup pot brewed in 3 minutes. I have never used a french press, but so many people have said it's the only way to go so I'll probably try that too. I did get a cold brew system, as recommended by someone here at DC, for my little place at the coast and I'm amazed at the quality of the coffee. Very, very good. I haven't tried roasting my own beans yet but there are a lot of people here that do and have posted their methods. That's my next project. But for everyday, I grind my beans and then brew a pot, which I transfer to an airpot. (I never use the warmer on my machine.) Then I have a cup with half-n-half or, if I'm feeling wicked, heavy cream.

Old 10-22-2007, 03:41 PM   #52
Assistant Cook

My favorite coffee beans are Ravens Brew beans. I am out right now and am patiently waiting for my next shipment.

I make my coffee in my Cuisinart Grind-n-Brew. I have a french press but don't use it much. I will bring it for camping though.

I take my coffee with sugar free vanilla cream or vanilla soymilk.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:09 AM   #53
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Falkon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I bought a Bunn Commercial dual hopper burr grinder (used, on ebay) and a commercial Bunn brewer (also ebay). A lot of coffee gets drunk here and I love having a 12 cup pot brewed in 3 minutes. I have never used a french press, but so many people have said it's the only way to go so I'll probably try that too. I did get a cold brew system, as recommended by someone here at DC, for my little place at the coast and I'm amazed at the quality of the coffee. Very, very good. I haven't tried roasting my own beans yet but there are a lot of people here that do and have posted their methods. That's my next project. But for everyday, I grind my beans and then brew a pot, which I transfer to an airpot. (I never use the warmer on my machine.) Then I have a cup with half-n-half or, if I'm feeling wicked, heavy cream.
ooooh, that sounds like a nice grinder. About the french press - coffee filters filter out the oils from the beans, which are great. It's really the best taste you can get. The only problem with the oils is that they can actually raise your LDL cholesterol if I remember correctly.

My grinder is a black and decker burr grinder. It works for me, and it seems to produce a consistent grind. It's definitely no high end espresso grinder, but it works for my normal beans. If it wears out, I'm going to replace it with one of these Peugeot coffee mills.
Peugeot Bresil Coffee Mill: Walnut - Peugeot Grinders & Choppers

Also, since I found out we have some Huntsville members, great whole bean coffee can be bought from the following places in town:
- The Kaffeeklatch - roasted right in the store
- Olde Towne Coffee Shoppe - Higher Ground certified fair trade; good stuff
- Aromas - roasted in Tennessee, pretty good stuff
Old 10-23-2007, 01:28 AM   #54
Executive Chef

I haven't found anywhere in town to buy fresh roasted whole bean coffee, Falkon. I'm envious you have found 3. There probably are some places here - it's a big city - but I just haven't found them. I think the Peugeot coffee mill is beautiful. Have you ever used one?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:48 AM   #55
Assistant Cook

I've never used a manual one, but I know the Peugeot one is high quality with the steel conical burrs. I also know it takes longer and yields less, but I really like the look.

If you go to any privately owned coffee shops, you'll probably find one selling good whole bean coffee. You might find the coffee there to be the best you've ever had as well. The key is that non-corporate coffee is almost always the best. Levels of coffee to me are as follows:
- Privately owned coffee shops
- Peet's - not bad for a chain.
- Starbucks - coffee tastes burnt. Lattes taste like hot milk
- Swill they make at work - it's just bad. It's that Maxwell House crap and some other stuff the vending company provides. It's BAD, it'll make you have heartburn, but MAN it's got some caffeine.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:23 PM   #56
Executive Chef

I'll definitely try that. Actually, there's a wonderful coffee place near me that's not a chain and has great coffee and great atmosphere. I never even thought to ask about buying beans there! Thanks for tip. I did get some Peet's beans recently and they were good, but didn't really ring my bell. I don't like Starbuck's personally either, but I think I actually don't care for dark roasts. Medium roasts seem to be the ones I'm drawn to. And you're right about work coffee - universally bad, especially if it's free.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:12 PM   #57
Assistant Cook

I have mine black with an 1/2 of an inch of half and half. Dark roast also.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:13 PM   #58
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dina View Post
I take fresh Starbuck's medium roast beans, toss them in the grinder and make one shot of espresso. Froth the warm milk, topped with espresso and dulce de leche syrup. Mmmm....we haven't been throwing our money away buying expensive coffee at Starbucks anymore. We make it at home.

Are you grinding it for an espresso though??
Old 10-23-2007, 03:33 PM   #59
Senior Cook

I order fresh coffee beans from sweet marias, then roast and grind. Grinder and roaster settings vary by coffee bean and are critical in how the coffee will taste.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:28 PM   #60
Assistant Cook

I forgot to mention, there's a few online places that can send you fresh beans. I think one is Coffee Emergency Cyberspace Roastery

Edit: woah, the forum turned the link into a title, awesome.