"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 05-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #71
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Mav'sWife
Are you an American or Brit?

My mother was British - and oddly enough - I never once saw her drink a cup of tea. Our house, growing up, the adults each had their own respective caffeine addiction - coffee for the gasp, British mother and black tea (with a little fresh mint) predictaby for my Middle Eastern stepfather. I think my mother mentioned, they forced everyone in boarding school take tea every day and that's why she disliked it so and never touched it again after graduating.

I love coffee, although I never drank any until I was 32. I blame the secretary next to me that talked the office manager into ordering starbucks for the office coffee station - one cup of that stuff and I was hooked.

I prefer (in fact it's about the only way I take it) to buy my beans wholeand grind them myself. I'm not too picky about the brand (store brands are fine) - it just has be whole beans. I do prefer darker & French roasts. The breakfast blends, although good, are a bit too light for me.

In regards to instant, I would rather forgo coffee forever, then drink instant - it's just terrible and not worth the calories.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:27 PM   #72
Master Chef

Not being picky about the brand of coffee is in effect only when she is doing the shopping and I am not there.... I make sure that doesn't happen often!

Old 05-26-2008, 12:33 PM   #73
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I want my coffee made with freshly ground Aribica beans. This month it's a Hawaiian blend of Kona, Kuai, and Molikai grown coffees. Last month it was Jamaican Blue Mountain. I drink it from an 11 ounce cup, to which I add one teaspoon of Demerara sugar and 9ml of half & half.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #74
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
How's Starbuck's Seatle's Pike Place coffee compared to Starbuck's Costa Rica Tarrazu? I am not happy with the new coffee my DH got (the Pike Place) as I got used to the medium roast flavor of Tarrazu. Argh!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #75
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav'sWife View Post
I prefer (in fact it's about the only way I take it) to buy my beans wholeand grind them myself. I'm not too picky about the brand (store brands are fine) - it just has be whole beans. I do prefer darker & French roasts. The breakfast blends, although good, are a bit too light for me.

In regards to instant, I would rather forgo coffee forever, then drink instant - it's just terrible and not worth the calories.
I'm with you about the grind it yourself and instant coffee. I like the dark roasts too. Hubby and I each have our own coffee maker because we don't share the same taste in coffee. He likes the Chock full o nuts . I prefer Gevalia , and it is expensive but it is worth it to me.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:35 AM   #76
Executive Chef

Glad to see Cafe Britt and Cost Rican Tarrazu have received honorable mention in this thread. To get my coffee at a 'reasonable' price, I have to order it in rather large quantities. After a fair amount of trial and error I've been able to roast green beans to my satisfaction in a frying pan. Sweet Maria's instructions were quite helpfull. Other than being able to roast to suite one's taste, green beans have the advantage of keeping better than roasted ones. I like my brew with a splash of half and half or 10% butterfat evaporated milk. We have both a newer steel burr hand grinder and a 70-some year old combination steel burr and stone hand grinder. The older one is far superior.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:53 AM   #77
Master Chef

I have bought Starbucks whole bean coffee in the store before, but not often only when it is on sale. One time the French Roast we bought was burned pretty badly, but the others were pretty good. We tried a 'Serena's Organic Blend' just because it shared it's name with DW, it was actually real good.
I don't buy from the Starbucks storefronts though, every time I do I seem to get old burned coffee that has been on the burner all day and is terrible!
Old 05-29-2008, 07:42 AM   #78
Sous Chef

Starbucks has OK coffee...almost as good as McDonalds.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #79
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
Starbucks has OK coffee...almost as good as McDonalds.
Have to agree with you Jet- I do enjoy a cup of McDonald's coffee better than Starbucks!!!Loveand energy, Vicki
Old 06-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #80
Master Chef

Our McDonalds only serves hot brown water.... and I don't know who this 'Joe' guy is that Burger King put in their coffee cups, but he is pretty bland as well...

Caribuo Coffee is one I like, along with the Seatle's Best they offer at the book store, and Einstein Coffee is pretty good. I just find in general the smaller places have the better coffee than the bigger chains.
Don't care much for Dunkin Donuts coffee either....