"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 07-13-2007, 04:54 PM   #11
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
..."A man of means"....a man of considerable wealth

I know what it means. I've just never been described as one. Which seems appropriate.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Buck and I don't pay too much attention to what's trendy in adult beverages and I was interested to see our drink of choice, vodka gimlet, wasn't even on the list.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Out here we are seeing lots and lots of sipping rums coming on the market, Pyrate is from the same company that bottles Patron. This rum is so silky smooth it will blow your mind. There are lots of top end gins coming out too that are better on the rocks - skip the add-ons and garnish.

In the summer a gin & tonic is great, a mojito with barbecue, margaritas any time we're in the mood. Vodka is always great with anything. But I'm a bourbon girl myself. Makers Mark is my favorite, and due to the economics of the ol' unemployment check Early Times is the daily dose. Ice and water are the only additions.

We did some Manhattans over the last week or 2 - but not my fave.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:10 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

From the article:
Umbrella Drinks Or Ice Cream Drinks

Those fruity, creamy concoctions can make an impression. But is that an impression you want to make?

"Drinks with umbrellas and lots of garnish (cherries, oranges, pineapples) or those with contents on the rim are usually quite young," he said. "You don't catch many guys drinking anything like this; it's mostly college-aged girls."

I'm a guy who lives in a trendy apartment complex. I often take fruity, creamy, frozen concoctions to the pool - replete with garnish, umbrella and straw. They're a great conversation starter...

As for the next trendy drink... I'd like to guess frozen coffees and frozen teas because they're delicious and loaded with caffeine, booze and tasty goodness. Unfortunately, they're labor- and time-intensive so mass-market bars wouldn't be keen on the idea.

I'll go with shooters as the next trendy drink. Especially shooters with rum, fruit juice and some oddball liqueur.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:48 AM   #15
Master Chef

IMO the "next" or "current" trendy drink is definitely GINS.

Read about it here

This is good ... because I love gin.

I have a few bottles of really good genever I brought back from a (now longago) trip to Amsterdam.

I bought a small bottle of Rangpur the other day to try too. Will try No. 209 next I think.

And I love Negronis (gin and campari).
Old 08-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #16
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
"...a man of means.!" ?????

I see a lot of Maker's Mark. Is that any good.
I think Maker's is overrated... but still pretty decent.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #17
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMediger
Around here, alot more young people seem to be drinking Old Fashions - ick if you ask me but to each there own. However, it's not an easily changeable drink other than a few things (sweet, with cherries vs. olives, etc...) so it might be not be as long in favor since its always the same, you know?

Just what I've noticed here ...
I can't see old fashioneds becoming popular, although I love 'em. Here's how I make mine:

Dissolve one sugarcube in a couple tablespoons water. Add rye whiskey, two ice cubes, and a healthy dash of bitters. Garnish optional.

By the way, did I misunderstand you, or did you mention putting an olive in an old fashioned? I've never heard of anything like that and frankly it sounds...well... revolting!
Old 08-06-2007, 06:54 PM   #18
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjohn55
The article above mentions the Manhattan. I could actually see that happening, since I've noticed a lot of new varieties of bourbon popping up in the past year or so (not that I'm complaining about that!)
Manhattans are great and I'd love to see them become more popular!

I make 'em with rye, not bourbon, but eventually I'll get around to trying to do it with bourbon. A Knob Creek Manhattan would be quite a drink!