"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 09-24-2006, 06:27 PM   #1
Executive Chef

What quenches your thirst?

This isn't the same as your favourite beverage..

When you are thristy, what do you drink that actually slakes that thirst? I don't care much for soda. Besides, that always seems to make me more thirsty. Water never quite does the job..

I've found that when I really thirst, not just drinking to accompany the meal, I like cold water with ice, a slice of lemon, squeezed, and half a packet of splenda. It does the trick every time.

I also love lemon/lime seltzer, swigged right from the bottle!

What about you?

Old 09-24-2006, 07:04 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Funny, water is supposed to be the best thirst quencher, so i am surprised it doesnt work for you. What works for me...water, gatorade... ahhhh some good iced tea is a good one too!

Old 09-24-2006, 07:08 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Water works the best for me. Sometimes I guess some bodily craving will tell me what to drink - like when I absolutely crave and have to stop anywhere to get some grape juice. But then I always want water with it too.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:16 PM   #4
Senior Cook

kitchenelf...yeah, me too about those specific cravings. it is interesting how our bodies are created to tell us what it needs! One time i was just altogether sick, and i had one of those cravings specifically for KFC's coleslaw. (I know it sounds odd.) but that did it for me! the coleslaw fixed me right up!
Old 09-24-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicacarr
kitchenelf...yeah, me too about those specific cravings. it is interesting how our bodies are created to tell us what it needs! One time i was just altogether sick, and i had one of those cravings specifically for KFC's coleslaw. (I know it sounds odd.) but that did it for me! the coleslaw fixed me right up!
Old 09-24-2006, 07:26 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Verablue, I'm the same as you, water with lemon but not sugar, and my favorite thirst quencher is Polland Spring lemon or orange sparkling water.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:50 PM   #7
Cook

I find cool water to be quite thirst quenching. Scientifically gatorate or other isotonic sports drinks are probably a wiser decision but I can't seem to realy enjoy it taste wise. I love a good iced tea for when my insides start feeling like a fishtank.
When I'm feeling realy overcome from the heat, a cold Red Bull usually does a good job of bringing me back to my feet.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:00 PM   #8
Head Chef

Years ago, a road paving crew foreman told me that, in the hot weather, the best thing to drink is cool (not cold) water with vinegar added. He used to mix it up by the 5 gallon pail for his crew. Since then, I've noticed that water or sparkling water quenches my thirst better when there is an acidic component. I usually use lemon or lime, instead of vinegar. Another effective thirst quencher for me is unsweetened iced tea.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:04 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Send a message via Skype™ to MJ
Room temp water seems to do the job at quenching my thirst. Ice cold water doesn't seem to help much. Today when I was watching the game, beer did the trick.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:11 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Sometimes it's cool water, but more often, it's Fresca. It's the only soft drink that isn't yuckily sweet.