What quenches your thirst?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VeraBlue

Executive Chef
This isn't the same as your favourite beverage..

When you are thristy, what do you drink that actually slakes that thirst? I don't care much for soda. Besides, that always seems to make me more thirsty. Water never quite does the job..

I've found that when I really thirst, not just drinking to accompany the meal, I like cold water with ice, a slice of lemon, squeezed, and half a packet of splenda. It does the trick every time.

I also love lemon/lime seltzer, swigged right from the bottle:ohmy:!

What about you?

Funny, water is supposed to be the best thirst quencher, so i am surprised it doesnt work for you. What works for me...water, gatorade... ahhhh some good iced tea is a good one too!

Water works the best for me. Sometimes I guess some bodily craving will tell me what to drink - like when I absolutely crave and have to stop anywhere to get some grape juice. But then I always want water with it too.

kitchenelf...yeah, me too about those specific cravings. it is interesting how our bodies are created to tell us what it needs! :) One time i was just altogether sick, and i had one of those cravings specifically for KFC's coleslaw. (I know it sounds odd.) but that did it for me! the coleslaw fixed me right up!

jessicacarr said:
kitchenelf...yeah, me too about those specific cravings. it is interesting how our bodies are created to tell us what it needs! :) One time i was just altogether sick, and i had one of those cravings specifically for KFC's coleslaw. (I know it sounds odd.) but that did it for me! the coleslaw fixed me right up!
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Verablue, I'm the same as you, water with lemon but not sugar, and my favorite thirst quencher is Polland Spring lemon or orange sparkling water.

I find cool water to be quite thirst quenching. Scientifically gatorate or other isotonic sports drinks are probably a wiser decision but I can't seem to realy enjoy it taste wise. I love a good iced tea for when my insides start feeling like a fishtank.
When I'm feeling realy overcome from the heat, a cold Red Bull usually does a good job of bringing me back to my feet.

Years ago, a road paving crew foreman told me that, in the hot weather, the best thing to drink is cool (not cold) water with vinegar added. He used to mix it up by the 5 gallon pail for his crew. Since then, I've noticed that water or sparkling water quenches my thirst better when there is an acidic component. I usually use lemon or lime, instead of vinegar. Another effective thirst quencher for me is unsweetened iced tea.

Room temp water seems to do the job at quenching my thirst. Ice cold water doesn't seem to help much. Today when I was watching the game, beer did the trick.

Sometimes it's cool water, but more often, it's Fresca. It's the only soft drink that isn't yuckily sweet.

jessicacarr said:

:bb: mmmmmmmm.............I wonder what kind of deficiency that was? I went through a roughly 2-month spell of craving sushi, specifically anything with raw fish in it - it was expensive!!!! mmmmmmmmmmm........KFC coleslaw............was it the sodium?.........was it the actual cabbage?.............was it the sugar?................was it just a "comfort food" issue?..........you've got me thinking now!!!! I have eaten it at different times and some of those times being being much better than the others - like that's what I really wanted. I'm going to have to go google! :LOL:

I'm firmly in the cool water camp. It really does the trick for me.

Sometimes when I'm hot and sweaty in addition to being thirsty, an ice cold beer tastes good.

Lemonade or soda. Water doesn't seem to work much for me unless it's 100 degrees outside and it must be ice cold.

I'm with Amber - ice water with a lemon wedge. No sugar, as I use the meyers from the tree - they're sweeter than a regular lemon.

Chocolate cokes from Sonic. They never fail. French cokes are good too but not as tasty.

Sadly, no Sonics here in WA. :( I like iced chai and a good iced minty tea is quenching as well. Every once in a while I crave good apple juice (I'm talking Odwalla type, not sugary mott's or something like that) or fresh oj.

i'm an iced tea guy. i drink about a gallon every few days even in the winter.

i also like gatorade (orange or green) if i'm really dehydrated.

oddly enough, sometimes when i'm thirsty, i crave ice cold milk or oj, or silk brand chocolate soy "milk".

does anyone else like watered down drinks when they're thirsty? i like to take a bottle of iced tea, snapple or nestea for instance, and add about a third more cold water. sorta like how gatorade tastes like watered down orange drink. full strength tastes like concentrate to me. same goes for other "bug" juices.

Hades said:
I find cool water to be quite thirst quenching. Scientifically gatorate or other isotonic sports drinks are probably a wiser decision but I can't seem to realy enjoy it taste wise. I love a good iced tea for when my insides start feeling like a fishtank.
When I'm feeling realy overcome from the heat, a cold Red Bull usually does a good job of bringing me back to my feet.

I had Red Bull once...the flavour reminded me of cough medicine. Can't deny that most people like the flavour, however. It's even part of cocktails now.

Back
Top Bottom