"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 PM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post

Yup, that's the one and I love it too.

For the very rare baking I do, I just have a hand mixer and it works fine. Heck, our grandmothers used a spoon. Shocking I know. There again, I don't need an expensive KitchenAid stand mixer, nor do I want to store one.
Kayelle, no KitchenAid stand mixer for me either! You and I have similar feelings about baking.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:46 PM   #42
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Thanks! This is very helpful. What do you use to mix batters for baking?
I either use my Kitchen Aid Hand or Stand Mixer, depending on how much baking I am doing. I would not use an immersion blender or a blender to mix cake batter.

Sometimes I even mix by hand...

My collection of appliances has been built over time and a couple different occupations. My husband was a professional baker and I, at one time, had my own catering business. I no longer use all of these appliances everyday, but I do dust them occasionally.

Old 02-09-2014, 10:49 PM   #43
Sous Chef

Quote:
Yup Taxi, that's the one and I love it too.

For the very rare baking I do, I just have a hand mixer and it works fine. Heck, our grandmothers used a spoon. Shocking I know. There again, I don't need an expensive KitchenAid stand mixer, nor do I want to store one.

I have a hand mixer, so I guess that should work fine. I don't understand why most of the recipes on this blog (elanaspantry.com) call for a food processor. My grandmother used a spoon or electric mixer for all of her baking recipes.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:54 PM   #44
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That blogger is probably using what she learned on. If you always wrote with pencil, had never seen a pen and someone gave you one...how long before you got used to handling it. The pencil will always be your first love, even if the pen is better. Same with appliances, you use and re-use those you feel comfortable with.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:07 PM   #45
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
That blogger is probably using what she learned on. If you always wrote with pencil, had never seen a pen and someone gave you one...how long before you got used to handling it. The pencil will always be your first love, even if the pen is better. Same with appliances, you use and re-use those you feel comfortable with.

That makes sense! Thanks for helping me save some bucks! I'm going to try one of her recipes with an electric mixer and see how it goes.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:08 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I'm always tempted with new appliances. But my little KA hand mixer has served me well with my maybe one or two batches of cakes or cookies a year. The immersion blender is the appliance I use the most, followed by the little FP and the blender. The FP doesn't deal as well as the blender with liquids.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:31 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I use a stand mixer about once a year to make sponge cake. The rest of the time I mix batters by hand. It's usually more work to clean up the danged gadget than it is to do it by hand. E.g., I have a salad spinner. I usually just dry the lettuce with a tea towel which I can throw in the washing machine, instead of having to wash the salad spinner which takes up my entire dish drainer. I did all the slicing for leek and potato soup with my new, fancy doodle food processor. Good grief, I had to cut stuff to fit in the food processor, process it, and then wash all those danged parts. The mandolin would have been quicker and less cleanup. If I didn't care if the slices were that even, I would do it with a knife. Talk about easy cleanup.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:32 AM   #48
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Not to mention that many bloggers make money by promoting equipment. I'm sure that's the case for the blogger with the recipe to be used in a $400.00 Vitamix blender.
Edit. Now I see it's the same blogger telling you to use an expensive food processor.
Personally, I wouldn't trust her recipe's either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I use a stand mixer about once a year to make sponge cake. The rest of the time I mix batters by hand. It's usually more work to clean up the danged gadget than it is to do it by hand. E.g., I have a salad spinner. I usually just dry the lettuce with a tea towel which I can throw in the washing machine, instead of having to wash the salad spinner which takes up my entire dish drainer. I did all the slicing for leek and potato soup with my new, fancy doodle food processor. Good grief, I had to cut stuff to fit in the food processor, process it, and then wash all those danged parts. The mandolin would have been quicker and less cleanup. If I didn't care if the slices were that even, I would do it with a knife. Talk about easy cleanup.
Exactly right, Taxi.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:34 AM   #49
Sous Chef

Quote:
Not to mention that many bloggers make money by promoting equipment. I'm sure that's the case for the blogger with the recipe to be used in a $400.00 Vitamix blender.

Exactly right, Taxi.

Oh wow, I hadn't thought of that!Maybe she's getting commissions through Amazon.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:59 AM   #50
Master Chef

Bingo !!!!

Now I see it's the same blogger telling you to use an expensive food processor.
Personally, I wouldn't trust her recipe's either.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe

Will a blender work for this chai latte recipe? I saw this recipe for paleo chai latte on a blog, but I do not have a Vitamix. Will a KitchenAid blender with a glass pitcher work? [url=http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-chai-latte/]Paleo Chai Latte Recipe - Elana's Pantry[/url] 3 stars 1 reviews