Will a blender work for this chai latte recipe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can an immersion blender do a lot of the things a Vitamix does?

I've never used a Vitamix, but I sure love my KitchenAid stick blender. The blade thingy pops off and can be washed separately. It does a great job on gravies, sauces, and anything else in the pot or container that needs chunking up or making smooth. I also have a little Black and Decker.

And I just saw your post, Kayelle, and would agree regarding the Vitamix hype.

Last edited:
I've never used a Vitamix, but I sure love my KitchenAid stick blender. The blade thingy pops off and can be washed separately. It does a great job on gravies, sauces, and anything else in the pot or container that needs chunking up or making smooth.

Which KitchenAid stick blender do you have? I'm researching to see which one is best for me. I see that KitchenAid has a number of different models.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which KitchenAid stick blender do you have? I'm researching to see which one is best for me. I see that KitchenAid has a number of different models.

:LOL: You'd have to ask! Mine's about 15 years old, has a dial on the top, and just one blade. The newer ones come with more attachments, I think. Mine is Model KHB100.

Both KitchenAid and Cuisinart are pretty reliable brands, don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Last edited:
:LOL: You'd have to ask! Mine's about 15 years old, has a dial on the top, and just one blade. The newer ones come with more attachments, I think. Mine is Model KHB100.

KitchenAid now has 3-speed and 5-speed models, plus a cordless Pro model. Very confusing to decide which one to get. I was going to get a food processor but now that I've heard about immersion blenders, I'm thinking twice. Maybe I should start a new thread about this?

Last edited:
KitchenAid now has 3-speed and 5-speed models, plus a cordless Pro model. Very confusing to decide which one to get. I was going to get a food processor but now that I've heard about immersion blenders, I'm thinking twice.

I have a little KA food processor that's very old too, and I use it a lot as well. Stuff like pesto and shredding cheese and slicing cucumbers would be hard to do with a stick blender, I guess it depends on what you plan to do with either tool. I'd get both!

Yes, maybe start a new thread.

Last edited:
I have a little KA food processor that's very old too, and I use it a lot as well. Stuff like pesto and shredding cheese and slicing cucumbers would be hard to do with a stick blender, I guess it depends on what you plan to do with either tool. I'd get both!

Yes, maybe start a new thread.

I currently have a small 3.5 cup KitchenAid food processor. I was going to get a larger one, but maybe I don't need it if I get the immersion blender?

I currently have a small 3.5 cup KitchenAid food processor. I was going to get a larger one, but maybe I don't need it if I get the immersion blender?

I don't think you can go wrong with a stick blender. And if you already have a little FP, you have your bases covered.

I don't think you can go wrong with a stick blender. And if you already have a little FP, you have your bases covered.

Thanks for helping me figure this out. One of my favorite food bloggers suggests using a food processor for blending cake and cookie batters. Can that be done with an immersion blender?

For what it's worth, my big Cuisinart food processor is in the cupboard next to the blender.:rolleyes:

I only haul it out during the holidays when I'm working with a huge amount of food. I don't like cluttered counters as you can tell.

My knife skills work just fine for the amount of daily chopping I do. And if I want cucumbers or potatoes sliced extremely thin I almost hate to mention my mandolin. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for helping me figure this out. One of my favorite food bloggers suggests using a food processor for blending cake and cookie batters. Can that be done with an immersion blender?

:LOL: We have many wonderful bakers here, I am not one of them! I use a hand mixer on the rare occasion I make cookie dough, I don't think the stick would work as well for dough, but others who know better might have more advice. The FP is a more heavy-duty machine, and would hold up better to the dough. The stick is more for blending and liquifying hot stuff.

And as Kayelle said, the mandolin is great for slicing small amounts. I do like my FP for large amounts of, say, cukes for freezer pickles.

Last edited:
This is the immersion stick blender I have. sion-Attachments/dp/B00AN9UJ68/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391987922&sr=8-2&keywords=cuisinart+smart+stick+blender

In my opinion Vitamix blenders are 90% hype with an inflated price tag to make them look far more valuable than they really are. Lots of things are like that...cars, shoes, handbags and a multitude of other items.

I just thought of something I saw on tv about inflated prices. Two identical twins were standing on opposite street corners holding signs. One said HUGS $1.00 the other one said HUGS $2.00
Who do you think gave out more hugs?

Yep, the $2.00 guy. Everyone who was asked said they thought his hug would be worth more.
:wacko:

I just thought of something I saw on tv about inflated prices. Two identical twins were standing on opposite street corners holding signs. One said HUGS $1.00 the other one said HUGS $2.00
Who do you think gave out more hugs?

Yep, the $2.00 guy. Everyone who was asked said they thought his hug would be worth more.
:wacko:

I saw it too, except the first guy offered FREE hugs. And the folks still chose the $2.00 guy!

I don't do anything hot in the blender anymore. I use the immersion blender way more often than I use the blender these days, bread or cracker crumbs are better in the blender for me.

The immersion blender is quick to pull out, use clean and put away. I use it mostly for in the pot soups that need pureed, whipping cream, easy to puree foods. Whipping egg whites.

Blender tasks: Mixing spice mixes, crumbing, large batches of salsa. Otherwise I don't use it much, but I have had it forever and cannot replace it with anything for sale currently.

This is what I have and I'm very happy with it. I think it's the same one Kayelle has.

cc123.jpg

I have never used anything that whips cream or beats egg whites better than this. I often use the the straight immersion function to puree soups, right in the pot. Clean up is easy. The whisk separates from that black thingee and can go in the dishwasher.

I don't do anything hot in the blender anymore. I use the immersion blender way more often than I use the blender these days, bread or cracker crumbs are better in the blender for me.

The immersion blender is quick to pull out, use clean and put away. I use it mostly for in the pot soups that need pureed, whipping cream, easy to puree foods. Whipping egg whites.

Blender tasks: Mixing spice mixes, crumbing, large batches of salsa. Otherwise I don't use it much, but I have had it forever and cannot replace it with anything for sale currently.

Thanks! This is very helpful. What do you use to mix batters for baking?

This is what I have and I'm very happy with it. I think it's the same one Kayelle has.
Yup Taxi, that's the one and I love it too.

For the very rare baking I do, I just have a hand mixer and it works fine. Heck, our grandmothers used a spoon. Shocking I know. :ohmy: There again, I don't need an expensive KitchenAid stand mixer, nor do I want to store one.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom