"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beverages and Wine

Old 04-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Cook

Wine and beer?

For wine if I had cranberries , grapes , strawberrry ,...etc juices would all I have to do is add a packet of active yeast to make wine or alcoholed fruit drinks?

And If so how long after adding the yeast to the fruit juice will it take. And should it be refrigerated ?

For beer it seems like the same process a round about with barely,hops, and some water

The only harder alcohols one would need more things for is the harder alcohol
like vodka, brandy (distilled wine),gin,whisky ,.... etc since these are more concentrated since they are just really the distillation of the more simple ones usually

Old 04-22-2013, 03:08 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

It's a little more involved than that. Check this out: How to Make Wine at Home

Old 04-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #3
Wine Guy

I don't make beer, but I make about 150 gallons of wine every year, and have been doing so for quite awhile now. I'm also currently the president of the largest and oldest home winemaking club in Minnesota.

The process is a little more complicated than what you describe. Normally you make a "must" using the desired fruits. Often this involves crushing or chopping the fruit and macerating the mixture to extract the juice. You then have to balance acids and sugar so that everything is within a certain range. Then you add the yeast. After 1 to 4 weeks of fermentation (the actual amount of time depends on the temperature, sugar level, and yeast strain), you remove the fruit pulp and let the wine sit for several months to clear.

If you are interested, there are quite a few books and web sites that will help you along. Let me know if you would like me to post a few. If you're just looking for some recipes now, Jack Keller runs a home winemaking web site.

winemaking: winemaking recipes

Jack's a little politically opinionated at times, but he gives pretty good advice overall.

I also posted a thread here sometime ago showing how I make grape wine.

Here's the link:
Winemaking Fun
Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It's a little more involved than that. Check this out: How to Make Wine at Home
No offense, but that's a pretty poor excuse for a recipe.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #5
Master Chef

Steve, how much space, how big of a room/storage does one need to start making wine? Maybe not as much as you do, maybe for starter just 10 gallons or so?
Old 04-22-2013, 03:46 PM   #6
Wine Guy

Charlie, I know people who live in apartments and just have a little space set aside in a closet, basement, or spare bedroom for the containers. Most of the real work, like bottling and so on, can be done in the kitchen.

I have a 12 x 6 foot area set up in the basement. That's where I store and age everything. So not a real big space.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:49 PM   #7
Master Chef

I have been wanting to start making my own wine for a while, but problem is I really do not have a lot of space. My kitchen is long but extremely nerrow. Just enough space to walk by the cabinets. Even refrigerator doesn't open completely becasue of the wall.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:28 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
No offense, but that's a pretty poor excuse for a recipe.
None taken I have no experience with wine-making, so I googled it. Should have waited for you to come along
Old 04-22-2013, 05:03 PM   #9
Wine Guy

No worries. When I saw the first ingredient on the list was "lots and lots of wine grapes", I got scared.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:49 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
No worries. When I saw the first ingredient on the list was "lots and lots of wine grapes", I got scared.
Lots and lots of wine grapes? Is that like Concord grapes, or whatever kind they use? I don't know a thing about wine or the making of it, but I can't blame you for being scared. If that is a measurment then lots and lots of flour for bread making, more than you would use for dusting the bottom on a cake pan should do. After all they both require yeast.

Tags
beer, wine