"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives

Old 05-28-2006, 04:31 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelemarie
I' m no expert in the knife department, but I agree with Andy - check out all the knives at a speciality shop - see what feels best in your hand. I prefer a lighter knife, myself - kyrocera.
Bwahaha, I have created another convert :).

For the record, I'm with her. I prefer my knives to be light and so razor sharp that you don't miss the added weight. If I was using a carbon steel or standard forged knife, though I would indeed go with a heavier knife.

Old 05-29-2006, 04:47 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh
Bwahaha, I have created another convert :).

For the record, I'm with her. I prefer my knives to be light and so razor sharp that you don't miss the added weight. If I was using a carbon steel or standard forged knife, though I would indeed go with a heavier knife.
Poppinfresh - I'm your follower now ! It was you that convinced me to try the ceramics - I love em!

Old 06-13-2006, 11:27 PM   #13
Senior Cook

My "key" knives are as follows:

Chef's knife
Serrated "Bread Knife"
Boning knife.

I do have others. A santoku, a straight paring knife, and a smaller chef's knife than my main chef's knife.

I won't go into sizes, because that's all down to you as to what feels comfortable.

The chef's knife, as Alton Brown says, is the one I will reach for almost before I know what I am going to cook. I put "Bread Knife" in quotes because it is also very good a slicing tomatoes and the like. I eat a fair amount of chicken, and these days can dismember one of those little suckers in seconds with my boning knife.

Personally, I just don't get the paring knife thing. I bought it because everyone needs a paring knife, right? And sometimes I do, but not very often. I suppose it comes down to what I like to cook, and what I like to cook rarely presents me with anything I can't do with the three knives listed.

It drives me nuts when I see a television cooking expert cutting up vegetables with a paring knife, or peeling vegetables with one using their thumb as a backstop, but I guess to each his own.

Kelly
Old 06-13-2006, 11:41 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Oh, and that got me to thinking; ever see that Ronco ad for the "Three easy payments of..." gargantuan knife set? Quality issues aside, what would anyone do with that many knives?

Kelly
Old 06-13-2006, 11:46 PM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to vyapti
I have one good knife - a 8" chef knife. I also have a decent bread knife. I've had others over the years but never used them.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:48 AM   #16
Assistant Cook

eh, like what they all said, try you knife, its a tool that you will be using for hours so it HAS to be comfortable. Spend money on either the sanoku or chefs knife, the longer the blade holds its edge the less down time you will need to sharpen them. Get a thin bladed boning knife, the messermister is fantastic. Dont stick to a particular range of knives spread you money get the knife that does the job best and easiest for you.