8" or 10" for 1st Chef's Knife?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

8" or 10" for 1st Chef's Knife?

• 8" model

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • 10" model

Votes: 8 47.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TripleB

Assistant Cook
After only cooking a couple items I've already decided that I love to cook. Too bad it too me 43 years to finally try it...thank you Food Network for getting me interested.

Anyway, for my first Chef's knife, should I go with an 8 inch model or a 10 inch model (it will be a Victorinox due to just starting and my budget)?

I'm 6'2" which seems to indicate I should probably go with the 10" model. But right now I'm using a 7", very dull, santoku knife (at least that's what it looks like) and it seems pretty large. :)

Thanks for all your previous input....it has helped a tremendous amount.

TripleB

Last edited:
Well, I'm a pro cook and my views are probably biased towards that but I think a 10" is the better choice. A 10" will do anything the 8" can do but the opposite isn't true.

I'm not sure how to vote, it depends on what you are using it for. I have both around those sizes and no paring knife. When I am making stuffed jalapeno peppers I grab the smaller one because it is better (for me) for more delicate work. When I am slicing a boneless loin for the freezer, the larger. I had the smaller one first and it wasn't long before I wanted a longer knife. Chopping onions and cubing beef for stew meat I usually grab the larger one. I like the longer slicing motion it gives me.
Hmmm, am I leaning towards the 10"? lol

Well, I'm a pro cook and my views are probably biased towards that but I think a 10" is the better choice. A 10" will do anything the 8" can do but the opposite isn't true.

Rob I certainly respect your opinions, views, experience, etc...but I'm curious...What can a 10 do that an 8 can't....I have both, but constantly reach for the 8..

Rob I certainly respect your opinions, views, experience, etc...but I'm curious...What can a 10 do that an 8 can't....I have both, but constantly reach for the 8..

A lot of the things I cut up with a gyuto (or chef's knife) are large enough that an 8" won't go thru them. Things like squash, heads of cabbage, melons etc are usually a bit too big to cut without sawing or repositioning the product. This is especially true when I'm cutting meat or carving. If you're cutting a rib roast or ribeye steaks (especially if you're using "Ups") then you can't get thru them with one stroke, meaning you have to "saw." This takes more work & time plus leaves marks on the meat. Also things like sheet cakes are too wide to span with an 8" but a 10" will cut them cleanly.

Again, I've already admitted mine is a bias based on cooking professionally. At home it's not a big deal if it takes twice as long to process canteloupe or your rib roast slices have some saw marks. Still I'm used to what I'm used to.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
A lot of the things I cut up with a gyuto (or chef's knife) are large enough that an 8" won't go thru them. Things like squash, heads of cabbage, melons etc are usually a bit too big to cut without sawing or repositioning the product. This is especially true when I'm cutting meat or carving. If you're cutting a rib roast or ribeye steaks (especially if you're using "Ups") then you can't get thru them with one stroke, meaning you have to "saw." This takes more work & time plus leaves marks on the meat. Also things like sheet cakes are too wide to span with an 8" but a 10" will cut them cleanly.

Again, I've already admitted mine is a bias based on cooking professionally. At home it's not a big deal if it takes twice as long to process canteloupe or your rib roast slices have some saw marks. Still I'm used to what I'm used to.:ROFLMAO:

Exactly.

When I started out my first knife was a 10" which I loved. The problem was that my workspace was pretty cramped so having a knife that large was not ideal. When I bought my first J knife I went with an 8ish inch. I am much more comfortable using this one. When I am cutting something big like a squash or melon then I still reach for the 10" otherwise I reach for the 8".

It all comes down to personal preference though. If you are using a 7" that feels large right now then a 10" might feel too large. Go to a store and hold a 10 and an 8 and give a few practice cuts (even if you are just cutting air). Get a feel for it and see which feels better to you.

Thanks Rob....I see your point. ~~ As a home cook who mostly chops smaller things like onion/green onion, celery. bell pepper, potatoes, parsley, carrots etc. I feel I have better control with an 8 than the 10....For meats, or large melons I use some old wooden handled slicers/carvers a butcher gave me when he had to get rid of them for Health Department Regulations...The longest one...maybe a 12, I call my Watermelon Knife....One swipe and it's history!:LOL: ~~ Thanks again for your always informative post!!

GB said:
It all comes down to personal preference though. If you are using a 7" that feels large right now then a 10" might feel too large. Go to a store and hold a 10 and an 8 and give a few practice cuts (even if you are just cutting air). Get a feel for it and see which feels better to you

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This!

I feel I have better control with an 8 than the 10....For meats, or large melons I use some old wooden handled slicers/carvers a butcher gave me when he had to get rid of them for Health Department Regulations...The longest one...maybe a 12, I call my Watermelon Knife....One swipe and it's history!:LOL: ~~ Thanks again for your always informative post!!

With my 240mm gyuto I am a human food Terminator!

2q0vwxx.gif

:ROFLMAO: :LOL: :ROFLMAO: :D

I'm 6'2" also. I've used an 8" for as long as I've been cooking and I have never found a task that I couldn't do because the knife was too short.

The 8" is a little easier to control for a rookie until you develop some comfort level and cutting skill.

I appreciate everyone's input so far....very informative.

Right now I'm leaning towards the 8" model plus a pairing knife.

TripleB

I definitely see the positive points made for choosing a 10", but at the same time I don't think the 10" can do anything an 8" can do - with the same effect.

For example, I don't use a paring knife - I choke up on the 8" knife a bit and go to town. I can't imagine having an additional 2" of blade across my palm would be beneficial (except for hospitals making money on me!). To extend this further, I wouldn't say an 8" knife can do everything a paring knife can with equal effect.

By the way, are your employers/you really concerned with how a steak is cut from a rib-roast if you use an 8" knife and require a single change in cutting direction to reach the board? With a sharp knife I've never noticed that the meat is chewed up - especially after cooking. I'll have to be more conscious of this next time we grab a rib-roast to see for myself. :)

I would also agree with the recommendation to visit a culinary store and hold the knives yourself. If it's not comfortable, the blade length and forging really doesn't matter.

My "go-to" knives are actually about 9.4" instead of 10". All my knives are Japanese and they use metric; therefore a 240mm is the stand-in for the 10" that we might use. And yeah, I use it instead of a paring knife most of the time.

As far as the "chewed up" edges or marks, you have to keep in mind that prime rib is already cooked- we just cut it to order. Or maybe that was my little secret til now!:shifty: Ultimately if the presentation is affected and the guests notice it, then it's a problem. And at the prices my joint charges we have to put out a pretty nice plate. After cooking it might not be an issue but basic professionalism is. Shoddy work that wouldn't be noticed at home won't be tolerated in a fine dining establishment.

Silly me. I thought you'd use a carving knife for the prime rib if you really were concerned about appearance.

I understand, Rob. That's a lot of knives.

For the beginning home cook, I think feel and comfort are the most important thing. If you're careful, you can saw through a piece of meat with minimal saw marks.

I think the OP is talking about getting by with just a couple.

Yep...just starting out I don't want to invest too much money into knives...going to order 2 to start with since it seems most of what I'll be doing can be accomplished with these two (Chef's and Pairing).

Thanks again for everyone's input!!!

TripleB

Back
Top Bottom