"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories > Knives
View Poll Results: 8" or 10" for 1st Chef's Knife?
8" model 9 52.94%
10" model 8 47.06%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

8" or 10" for 1st Chef's Knife?

After only cooking a couple items I've already decided that I love to cook. Too bad it too me 43 years to finally try it...thank you Food Network for getting me interested.

Anyway, for my first Chef's knife, should I go with an 8 inch model or a 10 inch model (it will be a Victorinox due to just starting and my budget)?

I'm 6'2" which seems to indicate I should probably go with the 10" model. But right now I'm using a 7", very dull, santoku knife (at least that's what it looks like) and it seems pretty large.

Thanks for all your previous input....it has helped a tremendous amount.

TripleB

Old 01-06-2011, 08:14 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

IMO...An 8 inch.

Fun!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:17 AM   #3
Head Chef

Well, I'm a pro cook and my views are probably biased towards that but I think a 10" is the better choice. A 10" will do anything the 8" can do but the opposite isn't true.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm not sure how to vote, it depends on what you are using it for. I have both around those sizes and no paring knife. When I am making stuffed jalapeno peppers I grab the smaller one because it is better (for me) for more delicate work. When I am slicing a boneless loin for the freezer, the larger. I had the smaller one first and it wasn't long before I wanted a longer knife. Chopping onions and cubing beef for stew meat I usually grab the larger one. I like the longer slicing motion it gives me.
Hmmm, am I leaning towards the 10"? lol
Old 01-06-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
Well, I'm a pro cook and my views are probably biased towards that but I think a 10" is the better choice. A 10" will do anything the 8" can do but the opposite isn't true.
Rob I certainly respect your opinions, views, experience, etc...but I'm curious...What can a 10 do that an 8 can't....I have both, but constantly reach for the 8..

Old 01-06-2011, 08:37 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Rob I certainly respect your opinions, views, experience, etc...but I'm curious...What can a 10 do that an 8 can't....I have both, but constantly reach for the 8..
A lot of the things I cut up with a gyuto (or chef's knife) are large enough that an 8" won't go thru them. Things like squash, heads of cabbage, melons etc are usually a bit too big to cut without sawing or repositioning the product. This is especially true when I'm cutting meat or carving. If you're cutting a rib roast or ribeye steaks (especially if you're using "Ups") then you can't get thru them with one stroke, meaning you have to "saw." This takes more work & time plus leaves marks on the meat. Also things like sheet cakes are too wide to span with an 8" but a 10" will cut them cleanly.

Again, I've already admitted mine is a bias based on cooking professionally. At home it's not a big deal if it takes twice as long to process canteloupe or your rib roast slices have some saw marks. Still I'm used to what I'm used to.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:40 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Babcock View Post
A lot of the things I cut up with a gyuto (or chef's knife) are large enough that an 8" won't go thru them. Things like squash, heads of cabbage, melons etc are usually a bit too big to cut without sawing or repositioning the product. This is especially true when I'm cutting meat or carving. If you're cutting a rib roast or ribeye steaks (especially if you're using "Ups") then you can't get thru them with one stroke, meaning you have to "saw." This takes more work & time plus leaves marks on the meat. Also things like sheet cakes are too wide to span with an 8" but a 10" will cut them cleanly.

Again, I've already admitted mine is a bias based on cooking professionally. At home it's not a big deal if it takes twice as long to process canteloupe or your rib roast slices have some saw marks. Still I'm used to what I'm used to.
Exactly.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:47 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

When I started out my first knife was a 10" which I loved. The problem was that my workspace was pretty cramped so having a knife that large was not ideal. When I bought my first J knife I went with an 8ish inch. I am much more comfortable using this one. When I am cutting something big like a squash or melon then I still reach for the 10" otherwise I reach for the 8".

It all comes down to personal preference though. If you are using a 7" that feels large right now then a 10" might feel too large. Go to a store and hold a 10 and an 8 and give a few practice cuts (even if you are just cutting air). Get a feel for it and see which feels better to you.
Old 01-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Rob....I see your point. ~~ As a home cook who mostly chops smaller things like onion/green onion, celery. bell pepper, potatoes, parsley, carrots etc. I feel I have better control with an 8 than the 10....For meats, or large melons I use some old wooden handled slicers/carvers a butcher gave me when he had to get rid of them for Health Department Regulations...The longest one...maybe a 12, I call my Watermelon Knife....One swipe and it's history! ~~ Thanks again for your always informative post!!

Old 01-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB
It all comes down to personal preference though. If you are using a 7" that feels large right now then a 10" might feel too large. Go to a store and hold a 10 and an 8 and give a few practice cuts (even if you are just cutting air). Get a feel for it and see which feels better to you
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This!

Tags
knife