A few knife pictures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob Babcock

Head Chef
Okay, I had the notion to post a few pics of some of my knives. First, some of my Japanese knives (ones that I never take to work!):

Top three (left to right): 10" Shun Classic Chef, 240mm Hattori FH-7, 7" Shun Classic Granton-Edge Santoku, 6" Shun Classic Utility, Shun Alton's Angle Straight Veggie Knife, Kershaw Kai Pure Wasabi Deba, Kershaw Kai Pure Wasabi Nakiri.

Bottom two, the roll I generally take to work (left to right): DMT CS2 Ceramic Hone, Messermeister Forged Carving Fork, Tojiro DP 240mm Gyuto, Tojiro DP 6.5" Santuko. Other side: 12" Forschner Fibrox Granton Edge Slicer, 8" Wustoh Chef Knife (circa 1993), Chicago Cutlery Kyoto 8" Bread Knife, Forschner Fibrox 6" Curved Semi-Stiff Boning Knife.

Very bottom: 4 Messermeister paring knives (2 birds beak, one clip point, one spear point), Mui 6" Utility, 8" Kershaw Kai Pure Komachi Bread Knife, assorted tools.

Not shown: In front pockets I have a dough knife, a Spyderco Sharpmaker sharpening system, 2 Edgemaker Pro sharpeners & a couple erasers for cleaing the Spyderco rods.

myjapaneseknives1jd9.jpg
myjapaneseknives2dr1.jpg
myjapaneseknives3an0.jpg
myworkingroll1xs2.jpg
myworkingroll3bk5.jpg

myworkingroll2ed7.jpg

Just a few things I carry to work daily- about 20 lbs worth!

Last edited:
That's an amazing collection, Rob. I can see your knife bag, which I assume you use for work. How and where do you store your knives at home?

Don't tell Buzzard that! He's probably got more knives laying around that he can't find than I even own!:ROFLMAO: No, that's not my whole collection!;) Some of the ones at home are kept in their original boxes, some are in blocks, some are kept in rolls that I don't ever carry, etc etc. The Hattoris & Shuns have pretty nice boxes, as do the Tojiros.

Eventually I want to get a few Mag-Blok magnetic storage bars; they're beautiful hardwood strips with magnets in the back. You hang 'em up and stick your knives on them like so:

32cherry.jpg

I have a few different cases/rolls that I use. In all honesty my current job doesn't really require 1/2 the knives I normally take, but I always think what if I want one and don't have it along?:ohmy::ROFLMAO:

I have a few different cases/rolls that I use. In all honesty my current job doesn't really require 1/2 the knives I normally take, but I always think what if I want one and don't have it along?:ohmy::ROFLMAO:
BTW, just for the record that's not my purse in the background!:ROFLMAO:
Oh yeah, I love those magnetic rails. I have inexpensive IKEA ones on every wall of my kitchen but those wooden ones are really primo.

BTW, I don't need half the stuff I have in my purse either but like you, I always think "what if I need this and don't have it"? And I think your purse is very nice, Rob.

I love those Mag-Bloks and it's on my wish list for when I finally get to redo my kitchen. Great set of knives.

Very nice, Rob. It's obvious you really baby them. Good collection of Shuns. Most of mine are in their boxes and only come out when it's rotation time. I'm planning to build a new place in a couple years with his and hers cooking stations so I'll finally get to use my leopardwood Mag-Blok. Like the knives, it's in the box. My wife and I keep our everyday (read mostly beaters) on a SS magnetic rack but a great amount of care must be taken to avoid scratching the blades. The only exceptions are the chisel grinds like my Usuba which only touches on the outer edges of the hollow ground back and it's already shiny from when I flattened it.

Very nice, Rob. It's obvious you really baby them. Good collection of Shuns. Most of mine are in their boxes and only come out when it's rotation time. I'm planning to build a new place in a couple years with his and hers cooking stations so I'll finally get to use my leopardwood Mag-Blok. Like the knives, it's in the box. My wife and I keep our everyday (read mostly beaters) on a SS magnetic rack but a great amount of care must be taken to avoid scratching the blades. The only exceptions are the chisel grinds like my Usuba which only touches on the outer edges of the hollow ground back and it's already shiny from when I flattened it.

I don't think there'd be any scratching problem from a wooden mag rack like the one pictured. I think I'll be moving within a few months (same town, just different house) so there's not much point to revamping my storage system right now. Plus, with full time school and full time work I don't really cook at home much except on Sundays or Monday nites (my restaurant is closed on Sundays and I told the owner flat out when I started I'd need to cut back to 5 days when classes started).

I guess I should've shown the contents off all the zippered pouches on my work bag. I keep my Spyderco Sharpmaker in the lower left one- it fits so precisely one might think it was designed for it. In the other pockets I now keep all grits (3 peices) of the Edgemaker Pro system. Yeah, I can hear ya' groaning, Buzz, but the house knives at work aren't even worth the wear on my 220 stone.;) My Edgemakers do a great job on the Dexter Russells at work. Plus, for touchups of the few decent knives I have the Sharpmaker. Plus two big green erasers to un-load 'em.

If only there was room for a liquor flask I'd be all set!:ROFLMAO:

Abouna? Changed your name FJ?

Buzzard,

I'm guessing you know me from KF? I signed up over there so long ago I was still using FJ on the few forums I frequented. I've been using Abouna everywhere else though for the last couple years at least. Never bothered to try to make a change over at KF.

Cheers.

absolutely gorgeous.

I feel pretty awesome knowing I have the same 10" shun that you do. It's my baby.

Don't tell Buzzard that! He's probably got more knives laying around that he can't find than I even own!:ROFLMAO: No, that's not my whole collection!;) Some of the ones at home are kept in their original boxes, some are in blocks, some are kept in rolls that I don't ever carry, etc etc. The Hattoris & Shuns have pretty nice boxes, as do the Tojiros.

Eventually I want to get a few Mag-Blok magnetic storage bars; they're beautiful hardwood strips with magnets in the back. You hang 'em up and stick your knives on them like so:

32cherry.jpg

I got a large tool box full of knives and small gadgets, including a Chinese cleaver very identical to the one pictured above!

I like that one the best, because I use it for slicing, dicing and chopping fresh veggies for stir fries, soups, stews and such!

Chinese Knife - Cleaver

Rob,
maybe you already answered but how do you store your Chinese knife/cleaver? I have one, and I'd use it much more often - but I store it in the box in a drawer. I am justifiably afraid of dropping it on myself, or worse on my dogs - it will cut just about anything it comes in contact with!:( Suggestions are welcome! :cool:

The Shun knives are intriguing to me & I wouldn't mind trying a chef's knife to see how they are. :chef:

I only have one asian cleaver right now, and apparently I've stored it too well- it's been lost since my last move.:mad: I friggin' know I packed in a box with some other kitchen utensils but I can't find it for love or money.:ermm:

Back
Top Bottom